Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Shashi Tharoor, all the way!
Although, there is no chance that INC will be bringing it home in LS '24 but if they manage to even get a better result than LS '19, it's a major W for them. If they manage to get a good footing this year and work on being a good opposition, they might have a chance to revitalize themselves. BJP is not a difficult party to defeat, the lack of good opposition widens the seemingly small gap.
Coming back to the question, Shashi Tharoor is an obvious choice for majority of the urban population. Ashok Gehlot is a yes-man, doesn't have a spine, if he becomes the president then it's doomed. Manish Tewary, although a better candidate but still lacks the popularity. In his 33-year long career he failed to make a mark apart from his glorious start as a Youth Congress President. He would definitely be a better candidate than Ashok Gehlot that's for sure.
Shashi Tharoor is one of the most popular leaders in the current political circuit. He is regarded as an intellect, however, it'll be a challenge for him to communicate with the majority Hindi speaking population. If he somehow manages to make that work, he can be a phenomenal asset.
If Shashi Tharoor looses this, then I don't think he'll be hanging with INC for long. He has already criticized the high command system and it ostensibly supports Ashok Gehlot as a Congress loyalist.
Nobody at the rural or semi urban township level even thinks good of Tharoor as a person with the kind of stuff he's gotten himself into, secondly not many relate with his English. Urban India again won't be totally pro him. Fact is that inc can bring anyone but i don't see them as a potential ls winning party for the next 2odd decades.
Then who?
The contender are as follows:
1. Shashi Tharoor
2. Mallikarjun Kharge
3. KN Tripathi (Haven't heard of him? I don't blame you, he is an ex-minister from Jharkhand)
What has Tharoor gotten himself into? Would you mind elaborating in that front?
Apart from the allegation of his wife's murder which he has been acquitted of, there is nothing that he has gotten himself into. Even our HM has gotten himself into something much serious and evident, how about talking about that?
As I've previously stated, Tharoor obviously isn't the candidate that would resonate with the Indian audience but it's the best bet Congress has to reinstate their political hegemony.
If you're closely following the election process you would know that how messed up it has become. Ashok Gehlot wasn't opined to leave his head of executive seat to a mere party president role whereas Digvijay Singh was reluctant to contest with his senior i.e Mallikarjun Kharge. These people don't give two shiz about what must be done to maintain a healthy democracy, all they have is a myopic view of personal repute and gains.
I wouldn't say Shashi Tharoor is acquitted from the sin, but atleast he is striving towards a change.
For those who doesn't have confidence in his mass appeal,
1. He has been elected as the MP of Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala for 3 times (Undefeated).
2. Completed his PhD by 23 and became the President of St. Stephen's student union.
3. Came close second to win the post of United Nations Secretary-General in 2006.
Menefesto: https://t.co/aKPpji9Z8M
It might seem like a bit too much fan-boying, but he is genuinely an able leader who has been grossly undermined in the thread.
Thanks for taking your valuable time to read :)
Gehlot is a stooge and lacks education and culture.

Tharoor is an intellectual giant.
Abhishek Manu Singhvi or Manish Tewari. Or even Pilot.

Need someone having a bit of "nationalist" tendencies. RaGa may be a gem of a person but he is simply not jingoistic enough for the times we live in, when the world at large is going through a major pro-Right cycle.
Tharoor is a scam artist. Please see how he treated Sunanda Pushkar.
Shashi Tharoor only appeals to upper-class English-speaking educated elites who do not constitute even 10% of India. Even Sachin Pilot, who is much more accepted than Tharoor due to rural background has not even gotten support from MLAs. Only old-school politicians can become popular leaders. I think if not Gehlot, either Bhupesh Baghel, Digvijay Singh or Kamal Nath will become Congress president
It will be Mukul Wasnik. Non-threatening Gandhi family loyalist and Dalit face.
Looks like Digvijay Singh is going to be the next Congress president.
Kharge is the β€œofficial” nominee now. Feels sad to see the party of Independence and the main Opposition being so crippled.
If that brainless stooge Kharge wins over Tharoor then the Congress shouldn’t expect to win any votes.