Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
I am a SA2 with a tier1 and interested to move to a London firm. Was wondering the qualifications required through the SQE route. My understanding is that I have to only clear the SQE 1 and SQE 2. But while researching, I came across many people who said that we still need to undertake GDL because our graduate degrees are not recognised as equivalent in UK.

Would really appreciate if someone could shed light on whether I need to pursue a separate course or SQE 1&2 shall suffice?
Hi, if you want practice as a solicitor in the UK you would have to complete SQE and have two years of work experience https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/career-advice/becoming-a-solicitor/qualifying-from-abroad-to-work-in-england-and-wales

After the 2021 reform, any graduate (even non-law) can sit for the SQE exam

GDL/MA law equivalence degrees are only required if you want to be a barrister, for that route you need GDL/MA law equivalence -> bar course -> pupillage

may i suggest having a chat with the hr personnel at the law firm where you will be applying to check if you can get the SQE prep training from their prep provider, most law firms have tie up with uni of law or city uni; with 3-4 months prep sqe is quite easy
the gdl and the lpc were part of the older route. the sqe replaces these two - my understanding - could be wrong
I’m a BnF lawyer with PQE of 2 years. Need the same advice. Thanks. I don’t want to bother with an LLM and would rather save that money.
dont do standalone LLM, if you want to move to the UK, unless the firm pays for it

you can still apply for TC, or you can wait a year and then apply for lateral

you can have a chat with the HR people at the uk law firms (more helpful for lateral)