Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Hi!

I'm a final year student from an NLU, with an offer from Trilegal which I secured through the Day 0 drive conducted on campus. It is with the General Corporate law team, and I have not explored this practice area a lot in my internships.

What can I do to prepare for my job which starts in July 2023?
I've been working for all of three months, so my perspective is limited. It's good that you want to prepare in advance, that is very important. But at the same time, don't forget to enjoy your college life. This one year is when you're truly free to do what you want, recreational stuff and constructive-but-doesn't-boost-employability stuff.

To answer your question, you could start by watching the Corp law lecture series on YouTube by Jindal. It gives a very good overview of MnA. GC teams work on anything and everything related to companies, but the work can broadly be categorised into advisory and transactional.

Get into the habit of reading a business/financial newspaper, or at the very least, the business page of a general newspaper. Develop commercial awareness. This is what most lawyers lack, imo. They know the law, but ultimately, our job is to facilitate the business.

One legislation that gives GC lawyers a lot of grief is FEMA and associated rules If you're familiar with them, it'll go a long way in helping you. Start with the FDI Policy and NDI, then ODI, then, if you still have time, Debt.

You can also look at the deal updates from your team to see what kind of work they primarily do and do some focused prep for that.

Good luck!
I am old now. Having graduated in 2011 from a NLU. I will give you the practical advise needed-which you need not necessarily start learning in the final year-but can act as your survival guide. Rather mistakes that you can learn from:

1. Identify the power circles in your team. Make sure you latch onto one such centre. This will protect you and take you a long way.
2. Cover your ass. Learn how to put everything in writing at all points of time. And learn to always pass the buck, when required.
3. College issues and rivalries do play out in the working world as well. Therefore, if there is someone who is out to screw you over-make sure that you make peace rather than fighting a losing battle.
4. Learn to make small talk, and becoming popular-the route to partnership depends on this-not on merit.
5. Indulge in bickering and politics. It is important. The person who is closest to the partner's cabin, also has the most impact on appraisals.
6. Host events, lunches, dinners, beer parties. [...] Also, become part of the inter law firm tournaments to be known as the guy from firm X, Y, Z. Your identity is your firm.
7. Learn how to proof read effectively. If you spot an error, which is typographical or numerical also. Make sure to shout, scream and bring the roof down. Theatricals go a far way.
8. Corporate deal negotiations aren't about skill or expertise. They are just a sophisticated form of bullying. Corporate lawyers can sniff out a weaker opponent like a wolf hound. Therefore, learn how to put up a farce. To illustrate. In India. Practically, nobody can enforce an indemnity. Yet days on end will be negotiated on this clause. Eventually, the person with the louder wise and the better wise cracks will win.
9. Spend time during the night byhearting concepts, or having beer with your senior and learn from him/her.

Trust me. If you follow all of the above. You will reach partnership in record time. I've seen it happen.
I am not. I'm at the lower end of the pegging order and don't have the luxuries that partners have. It's been a strange journey. But I saw each of the above pointers play out in places that I worked in.