Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Now this is probably a weird post but want to get a perspective (preferably from senior folks who have done something similar in the past)-
- 13 yr. PQE lawyer have worked only in Delhi-NCR region
- Just got an offer from a startup in Blore to join as their GC
- Pay/ JB is good but the move is daunting

Some of the advantages that I have in Delhi
- Never lived in a rented accommodation as I have a house in Delhi
- Being a north-Indian with family/ relatives in north India- I associate more with Delhi
- Very familiar with the city/ roads/ people
- Decent social/ support circle wouldn't say that I have a roaring social life since with law firms my circle was limited to colleagues who would work together and party together

Considerations on move to B'lore
- rented accommodation with landlords asking for 11 months of eye-watering deposits
- traffic is a concern as would like to live in central B'lore
- north Indians vis-a-vis B'lore folks
- Getting familiar with new people/ making friends etc. etc.
- being able to find house helps who can be really helpful/ dependable etc.

Would love to get the views of people here.
Im a North Indian living in Bangalore. Here are the pros and cons :

Pros:
1. The weather. You won’t realise it now but honestly this is a game changer. You will in general feel happy and less irritable. It is a real upgrade in terms of day to day life because you will enjoy being outdoors.
2. If you live in central Bangalore, the city is walkable. Cubbon park, some of the city’s nicest restaurants and bars would be accessible by foot.
3. Cost of living - rent can be expensive in central blr but it is still comparable to Delhi prices. It’s nothing close to Bombay. Even though you’re not paying rent right now if you’re moving to a start up as a GC I’m sure this isn’t going to cause a huge hole in the pocket or anything.
4. Travel from Bangalore to nearby locations is wonderful.

Cons-
1. Food- cannot be compared to Delhi food. Finding a decent cook who can make North Indian food well will be a challenge but it’s not impossible.
2. Pace of life - things are changing now but moving here was definitely an adjustment for me.
3. Night life - bars at 7pm are buzzing but dead by 11pm - 12am. Weekends are exceptions but even then most places close much earlier than what you’re used to in Delhi. Keep your home bar fully stocked!
4. Traffic traffic traffic- but if you live in central Bangalore and your office isn’t too far this won’t be an issue. If it’s far, be ready for the mad commute.

All in all, I absolutely love living in Bangalore and wouldn’t want to move out of here. You’re not going to face trouble just because you’re from north India. People here are generally laid back - they like their beer and Js and ofcourse there’s the lot who love startup and VC talk. Moving from a Tier 1 to in-house as a GC is going to be a decision you won’t regret. If you do decide to move, welcome aboard!
Thank you. This is extremely helpful and makes me somewhat more confident about the move. Traffic is definitely on my mind. Apologies for troubling you with traffic queries but if I live in Richmond Town and travel to Sarjapur- will that be a mad commute or manageable? Thanks a bunch.
That would be an excruciating commute on a daily basis and I’d strongly recommend you not to do that. Definitely stay in Sarjapur/Bellandur or if you want a more lively place that’s less cut off from the city then you could consider Kormangala as well. Sarjapur is far off from central Bangalore and on the outskirts of the city. Several nice bars and restaurants have opened up in the area but it’s still a bit cut off from the rest of the city. The upside to living there is that the rent is relatively much lower than central Bangalore for houses that are larger and in gated communities. A person with a family and kids would probably prefer that sort of set up. If you’re living by yourself though, Kormangala will be a better option.
"Definitely stay in Sarjapur/Bellandur" talk about jinxing things.
Thanks. You mean pace of life is slower in Bangalore than in Delhi, where the pace of life in Delhi is itself slower than in Bombay and for someone from Bombay, it'll be a massive downshift in pace of life?
Lol about the food. I’m a South Indian in delhi and I hate the food here. Everything is too oily and buttery and sugary and carby and just - unhealthy. I miss my light idly dosa fare. I guess people just like what they grew up with.
Incase you do end up making the decision on moving to Bangalore- firstly a warm welcome to you!
As with any city, culturally assimilating into the place gives you a better sense of belonging than being a perpetual alien. Would highly suggest that you pick up some basic Kannada at your own pace. Tbvh what's in it for you- you'll get better discounts from vendors, auto drivers, can get along better with locals and other seen and unseen benefits. People are very warm here and you'll be met with a hearty laugh when people hear your Kannada and these aforementioned benefits will be their part of acknowledging your efforts. You always have the choice to not do this and remain alienated by easily saying that you don't know Kannada and impose any other language you know on people. Life will still go on but your experience will be different.
Hey, addressing concerns:

Considerations on move to B'lore
- rented accommodation with landlords asking for 11 months of eye-watering deposits : rents will be comparable to Delhi, assume GK/CR Park rents for a nice place here. Of course finding a nice place will be difficult but security deposits have now been reduced to around 4 months across the board.

- traffic is a concern as would like to live in central B'lore: totally! No ways around it, traffic sucks! Take a place which is
Bangalore is a very boring city. Indiranagar is nice. But that's cause people there think they are living in Portlandia.
Getting some nerve wracking news from Bangalore rains! Sorry for reposting this- but I now have found a great place to stay at Richmond Road and the work place is at Sarjapur main road- opposite the FabIndia store.
May I request some B'luru peeps to show some love and advise if this commute will not kill me? Google maps consistently show 29-34 mins between 9 am to 10 am. I am taking it to be 55-65 mins on actuals. Is it ok or I am making a mistake?
Bangalore resident here. You should be OK getting in. Getting out will sometimes be an issue. There's a nasty U-Turn as you leave office, and it can take you 20 minutes or so to clear that. After that, it's normal traffic. 40 minutes is not an unrealistic estimate. If you're Ubering, you can save time by simply crossing the road.

If you can WFH sometimes, this is not a bad place to stay. Richmond Town is an excellent location, and you will be grateful on weekends. It gives you access to parts of town you can only dream of, if you were staying in Sarjapur Road or Koramangala.
Hey OP!

Welcome to the city and the neighborhood. Richmond town is a great choice for a residence. Good eateries and bars nearby, close to MG road, Indiranagar and Koramangala for its nightlife options, a gym that stays open all the time, and a preferred place to live for lawyers, bankers and other professionals in their 30s.

Would advise you to try and beat the morning rush if you can. Leave an hour earlier than you normally would and use the time you save to boost your productivity at your office.
Hello- I am also moving to Bangalore and dreading it. People who have made the move from NCR to Bangalore can you let me know your experience? Was it easy to adjust etc. etc.

I noticed that a lot of IT folks move between Gurgaon and Bangalore (some even for months!)- how do they manage with accommodation etc? Do lawyers make such moves (both law-firm & in-house)?

Looking for some genuine advise here. Thanks :)