Read 27 comments as:
Filter By
Thinking about whether CLC, DU still has that brand/reputation/clout it once did with the advent of NLUs and their alumni now pervading the important positions like Senior Advocates, Judges, Bureaucracy, Corp Law, Indepenent Boutique Firms etc.
No.

Poor academics, poor student quality (often, many are focussed on DU elections). Just living off the previous vide of "Arun Jaitely (or whoever) was also from our college". That was fifty years ago. What's there now?

I've interacted with a lot of their students and alumni. Most are average lot; you might as well have gone to Chaudhary Charan Singh University and studied from a dukki alongside (and, let's be honest, most of DU students are studying from dukkis only).

If nothing else, just look at their question papers. Extremely simple, straightforward, that do not require an application of mind.
CLC has a batch strength of 900 students. Don't you think you pool of interaction might be v limited for such a generalist statement (and slightly rude lol).

People who are motivated here to do Corp or Litigation are doing absolutely wonderful and are getting through the right places. We have seen PPOs this year. Even for Masters, people are getting into ivys and other good universities (that too on full scholorship). There are good amount of graduates working as judicial clerks in SC and DHC. Our people in academia are doing well too.

Yes, a lot of students here also take this as a backup because it's cost friendly. What's wrong w that? Not everyone can afford a fucking 8Lakhs a year backup and it is fine. They do their thing and people genuinely interested in law do their thing.

Unless you consider it bad because the RCC doesn't send in a ready made answer to tell us something about yourself, can't see to understand why the harsh critique?

It's a lot of self work and that is OK. Don't expect to be spoon fed throughout your life. You'll have to figure out multiple things yourself but you will and it will be good.

Also, please don't play the teachers suck trap. We have seen NLUs crying here about their teacher quality too. Yes there are extremely weird ones but you are free to attend any profs class you like acorss centres. Itna he law or hustle pasand hai toh ye karlena.

The only legit critique of DU can be tha it's uncertain.
could you elaborate on the PPO's? was planning to prep for the DU LLB entrance and wanted to get some clarity about the uni befor diving into it
//2
Aur bhai/behen, exam hall ke bahar question paper sabko asan he lagte hai. Kai saare log yahi sochke upsc ki Naiya mein paav rakhte hai.

If you do not write, the university will not hesitate to paste a big fat ER against your name. Karte raho clear back paper. Ofc online made it slightly easy but which university did not have it easy in online?

Toh please thoda research karke shame karo atleast.
Bruh this entire comment is irrelevant to the points raised in #2.

No one is saying you can pass without writing the exams. We're saying your exams are too easy. And not just because we are looking at them outside the exam hall - but because they are objectively easier and straightforward. "What is a decree?" bhak
I agree with it but for dukis and clearing exams- I doubt whether clearing exams with a high percentage really matters in law. I wonder if Ronald Dworkin scored great in exams. Even if he did, it doesn't matter. Ultimately, a person should develop a sense of legal reasoning. Sadly that's missing even in most law firms and to some extent law has been reduced to a mundane task.
Look at other professions- physicists, neuro scientist, biologist (for some part), film making and art in its various forms. The application of mind in law is often far less compared to them. People who are in Tier A firms barely get time to expand their mind. They are intelligent academically and are considered quite smart but capsulating your life around work like this just for huge money doesn't sound the best decision to me. Perhaps it's not a very intelligent one.
Sir still most of cji were from du and not like nlus that they have no concern for nation but only money and corporate.go to any highcourt or supreme court most of famous advocates are from either du or state university
It still has a formidable reputation. Many students take the entrance exam but cannot qualify.
From the perspective of Law Firms, they avoid CLC and go to NLUs etc. Reason being that most DU students prefer Litigation and end up being Litigating lawyers or Judges.
Almost all of Delhi High Court judges are from CLC. Also many AORs in SC.
So it all depends on the perspective.
You’ll get very biased answers on here because the platform is populated by new naloos. Honestly, what are y’all even thriving on? CLAT isn’t the behemoth you think it is. Go and prepare to lose your Jessup trial, while you slog for your next six hour exam that won’t teach you jackshit about the world.

DU CLC is cheap and great place to get a professional degree for anyone who wishes to turn their career around. Around a few decades ago, NLUs didn’t exist at all and neither did the now-famed five year degree. Globally, most places offer the three year degree and people do great for themselves. If you look at the Supreme Court and many HCs, you’ll find it populated by DU law grads or people from Stephen’s or GLC. That’s because they’re old and prestigious; and have been commanding respect since before the granddaddies of the current NLU VCs were even born. Not everyone has the means to pay for an NLU degree either and at 18, many people don’t actually want to devote half a decade to law.

It’s not good to pit institutions against each other, we’re good but we know the mettle of DU CLC too. They might not have the best grants from the government or infra or legal clinics, but if you were to tally the number of Rhodes scholars, people who won other scholarships, or are established lawyers in the country, you’d find good ol’ DU beating all NLUs combined.
OP here, agree with the analysis. CLC kinda has that DPS RK Puram factor diluting its merits, but it's kinda the root of the NLU culture too i think. Prof Madhava Menon is an alumnus who was bent alongside Prof Baxi to spread the case-method pedagogy in a new brand of schools. I'm having a tough time as a CLC-grad in lit with a paucity of self esteem and cases but as kind of an autodidact, I spent countless hours honing fundamentals from Anson, Herring ABA manuals, SC/HC journals in the CLC library. Beaten around the system as a first gen lawyer, I'm positive about having a robust counsel practice in future. All we can do is try, i guess.
Desperate comments by DU alumni to hype up the college, LOL. If it's that great why did the BCI de-recognise it some years ago? Also, please see what type of goons study at DU CLC from the video below. These people were students at the time speaking to the Dean at that time (Prof Ved Kumari).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiT6p1xAGno
Dear If you see decisions of BCI you’ll know it’s a them issue and not a us issue.
Hi, the short answer would be "it depends on what you want to do".

To give some background, I'm not from CLC but from LC-1. I also got through Jindal and GLC but chose DU for reasons which seemed reasonable at the time. However, over time I have developed an interest in transactional law and the transition seems extremely difficult now.

If you are looking for placements directly after college or even internships through college, please forget about it. Law faculty has pathetic infrastructure, most experienced faculty has moved to other places, and large class sizes make any kind of quality control a joke.

In so far as repute and clout are concerned, it won't help you land any internships or placements per se. The only positives about law faculty are:
1. its teaching methodology through case-law (which is available online free of cost and which to my understanding has been adopted by various colleges now)
2. its proximity to the various Courts. Should you choose to get into litigation, you will be able to manage your litigation internships during college semesters without too much stress.
3. you will get to interact with a wide variety of individuals coming from all socio-economic backgrounds. Now this specific point does not help you with anything except teaching you how to deal with possible clients (litigation) and perhaps helping you develop "contacts"/network should you choose to get into litigation. As evident from the video posted above, it is a battleground for student politics and you will get to see a lot of entitled folks from the political class as well.

The only benefit of the clout/repute you would get is the one-off employer who might give you a chance on the basis of your college. But that would not be the standard rule. You would have to work hard to get anywhere.. way harder than students at other colleges (even non-NLUs) which have tie-ups for internships or functioning placement committees.

Having said that, if you are someone who is disciplined and can make that extra effort (on top of managing exams which are again horrendous with no uniform standard of evaluation-imagine checking 2500+ copies), you would have more options and time to explore internships and work opportunities.
I will tell you why DU is better than NLU. When I graduated from school, I looked at the NLUs or even other five-year college fees, and it was something that my family couldn't afford. Taking an education loan was a possibility, but I was very hesitant about the debt seeing my family is flooded with it, and I didn't want to get into it for myself. So I did the 3-year DU LLB and I got a PPO at a tier 1 law firm. I don't think we should comment on the teaching level of any college, keeping in mind that all colleges suck at this in India. My friends from NLU say the same.

Your institution where you graduate doesn't really matter. Firstly, it matters what you do there. Many people go to the top NLUs and just pass the time. They also don't get jobs from their colleges. Do they? I doubt. Almost every lawyer knows what DU LLB is, but most won't know all the NLUs.

But as most of the comments are in support of NLU, you should keep in mind that this platform audience is mostly from NLU, so there will be a biassed opinion.
Hey, I am also in CLC, DU. I am interested to know how you structured your three years to get a PPO. Can we contact you via e-mail? Can you plz leave a spam ID of yours?
Well, I have studied from the college and interacted with many NLU's student during my coaching days in Rahul's and in work place. First of all, the students who take admission in DU are already an undergraduate, so choosing NLU is not an option. Also, I personally believe that NLU students are way more practical and mature when it comes to job opportunities. In DU, either you go judiciary/UPSC or litigation, I don't think anyone is aware of law firm tier culture . There was only 2 batch mates of mine who did internship with Shardul, majority of students in DU thinks that Shardul is a south Indian firm doing documentation. Also, the fees is one factor that students opt for DU, other than that I do not think that the quality of students is going up. Whereas, mostly students who join NLU's have to pay their student loans, so I don't think that there is any choice left with them to choose profession of their choice and that is the only reason why there is dearth of NLU students joining service or litigation. In DU, half of the students are busy sniffing drugs and the other half in girls panty/underwear in case of girls.

(Advise to DU juniors- Please don't think that going to Rahul's will going to solve your problem, and don't wear the badge of DU to demoralize students of other universities).

Law firm lawyers quality is one of the best and most of them are from NLU's. All of this is based on experience and not knowledge.

(P.S.- DU 2016-19 Batch, took coaching from Rahul's in final year, sat for 3-4 mains, worked in disputes in lower courts, presently working in Reliance group (In-house) and going to join a tier-2 law firm..(Open to criticism/review/insights)
Litigation and Judiciary. But even then that's more an individual's effort than the institutions. You will still have to join coaching and mentoring outside the university. If you want to do that, DU is the best as it doesn't restrict you with academic timings and it's in Delhi. But if you're expecting institutional support, it's tough.
A 18-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.