Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
I am about to join a Tier 1 law firm situated in Lower Parel West. Can people working in law firms around this area please clarify the following,

1. Where do people working in Law firms generally live if they do not have any relatives in Mumbai and what is the approximate rent for a 2 BHK Flat in 10 km vicinity of the firm?
2. What are the areas I should look for a reasonable accommodation which does not take a huge chunk out of my pay (Around 15-25K rent for a sharing 2BHK is reasonable IMO)
3. How do people commute to the workplace and back home? Do they car-pool or travel by local trains/cabs?
4. How do associates manage their lunch/dinner, does the firms have canteen or are there any good tiffin options available?
10km from Lower Parel includes Cuffe Parade, Bandra West, Mahim, Bandra East, and Dharavi. So the rent range will vary quite significantly depending on where you want to stay.

You'll have to take a call what you want to prioritise but at 50k for a 2bhk, you won't find a 2bhk in the nicer part of town or in the fancier buildings (think buildings with gyms, swimming pool, etc.). There isn't any one specific place where law firm people stay - you will find what you prioritise may be quite different from what someone else might. I personally started prioritising staying close to office (almost) above all else after a few years but I know people who didn't mind spending 1+ hour travelling back and forth since they liked living in Bandra West or Juhu.

I find a lot of people don't count the taxi fare to and from office when considering the "total all-in cost". It is for this reason I find staying in Bhakti Park to not make a lot of sense. That being said, I took the local trains for many years and don't let anyone convince you that trains aren't a perfectly decent way to travel to work. To make local trains a sensible option, try to not stay too far away from your starting local station and ideally stay near a place where you get taxis / autos quickly. LP / Elphinstone Road local stations are a walking distance (
> It is for this reason I find staying in Bhakti Park to not make a lot of sense.

Bhakti Park is also an extremely depressing area to live despite its strategic cab connectivity to BKC / Nariman Point / etc. There's nothing around except marshlands and factories. There's the Bhakti Park Bhakti Park obviously but it'll never be open in the hours you're free. You can't even step out for a walk in a semblance of safety before / after work because there no streetlights. Being absolutely depandent on cabs drains you quick. You might initially think it doesn't matter because all you need is a bed to sleep in, but you'll soon realise it does matter, you deserve a better quality of life.

For that 30-35k/month Bhakti Park rent, get a nice 1bhk in Andheri West and take the train. You can get worse apartments in nicer areas south of Andheri too.
Looking for accomodation near Khaitan, One World Centre

Moving to mumbai for the first time and have 0 idea about the city. Where should I look for an accomodation which does not burn a hole in my pocket.

Flat/Pg both work - flats preferable.
Hey, also joining khaitan mumbai this year and looking for accomodation - let's connect over a burner email?

mk9832219@gmail.com

:)
Reasonably priced area, should you be willing to travel by the local trains, would be Sion / Chunabhatti. It will not be as lively as the Western Suburbs, but you can get semi furnished 1 BHK's for a reasonable rent in those areas. On the Central Line, you have to get off at Parel (it shares a station with Elphinstone Road/Prabhadevi on the Western Line), from where most LP law firms are at a walking distance. Else, if you are ok with 1 RK apartments, search in Prabhadevi, Naigaon in Dadar East, Shivaji Park, Lalbaug (be ready to bear with a lot of noise during Ganesh Chaturthi if you are staying in Lalbaug, Currey Road and Chinchpokli). Also look at a few old buildings in both Parel and Lower Parel. If you are willing to commute by local trains, you will get decent semi furnished and even fully furnished apartments in Vikhroli and Mulund on the Central Line, as well as Borivali and Goregaon on the Western Line.
Maybe try looking for a flat in areas like Parel, Dadar, etc. Parel is a good option as the rents are still in the range of 20k while being super close to the offices in Lower Parel and other fun amenities.
Bumppppp.

Joining a T1 in its Fort Office. Can anyone please suggest areas nearby? Marines Lines, Charni Road & Grant Road rents are through the roof. Is Andheri the only option? I would prefer a decent accomodation in a society. Not a depressing location, my work will do that enough for me :)
Cotton Green and Byculla are relatively affordable areas. Even a few old buildings in the Masjid area would have low rents.
Can someone please share Broker numbers. I am looking for flat from a long time, but unable to find any. Need a flat in Lower Parel, Prabahdevi.