Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
Graduated this year from a top NLU. Since when I was in my second year, I wanted to pursue litigation. Joined
an Advocate's chamber, primarily dealing with corp-commercial work, and the work is great, pay is decent for litigation standards. However, I can't help feeling that I am underselling myself and my skills / ability. Should I try to pursue a position in a Disputes law firm, or should I practice for a year and then try to see if I can shift to a Disputes firm. I don't mind starting as A0 next year.

In the interim, should I get publications or what else can I do to build my profile for a shift next year?
I speak as a Disputes lawyer with 3 years of experience- if you don't have a genuine issue pursuing transactional work, i would highly recommend you try your hand at it as early as possible. It is particularly difficult to switch to transactional from disputes or vice versa once you have PQE. The reason i suggest this is that the number of opportunities in transactional law (especially if you're from a half decent decent law school) as compared to disputes. Anyone who is paying attention to LinkedIn would've notice this. Consequently, it's financially more rewarding.

I for one couldn't stand corporate law.
But you might like it.