Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
This is a controversial topic which we do not want to discuss in the open and live in denial, but it is time to discuss it. Even highly educated so-called "liberals" suffer from hidden bias and prefer fair skinned people.

Examples:

- Fair girls/guys being favoured by certain professors, then eventually by law firm partners during internships and jobs.

- Fair girls/guys being favoured over dark girls/guys for public presentations. For example, favouring fair girls/guys to meet with clients and be the public face of the firm.

- So-called "innocent" teasing of dark girls/guys in front of everyone. Being called kaalu, blackie etc. Being told that your favourite cricket team must be West Indies, your favourite tennis player must be Serena Williams.

- Fair girls/guys being favoured in the dating and marriage pool. Consequently, dark girls/guys being rejected.

etc etc.

In the end it relates to hidden caste bias in our society. Fair skin = upper caste, purity. Dark skin = lower caste, impurity.

What do you think friends?
Well, there is a bias based on surname though. The popular and successful surnames are hired more. Pretty girls are preferred by partners. If you are a guy the partner would even seenzone your text but he would reply to every text the girl sends. There are all kinds of discrimination and bias in law firms.
Usne question kya pucha hai aur tumne answer kya diya hai. No wonder your texts get seenzoned
There are many Telug, Malayalam and Tamil Partners.

They are generally blacks or brown in color.

If there is discrimination then how will they become top partners in delhi?
I don't think any discrimination happens because of skin color.

Stop maligning and finding unnecessary discriminations.

You will loose dating opportunities if you are dark. But professionally? I disagree.
Skin color discrimination is always there at every level.

You can't really bother with something you have no control over. You just have to let your work and brilliance be undeniable.
I'm curious how much complexion discrimination in India is basically caste discrimination. 'Higher' castes generally have fairer skin throughout India. Even in the stereotypically darker south India, 'higher' are still fairer than 'lower' castes.
Pretty girls with fair skin are always favoured by partners. That is why you will find some people with average grades from low ranked private law schools mysteriously getting hired ahead of good students from NLUs. One of my best friends is a dark-skinned girl from an NLU who was discriminated on this basis.
This perpetuates discrimination against women - the same old crap that they ain’t hired for merit. Stop it!
EXACTLY!! the question was about skin-colour based discrimination and they found a way to make it about women somehow. Itni misogyny kaha se aati hai? :/
i mean, law school students are immature as hell. they'll do all this publicly. one hopes a professional work atmosphere is different. People have generally refrained from talking about other people's bodies everywhere I've worked. except to ask if you're well if you're looking poorly. subconsciously I'm sure pretty privilege exists- but there's not much you can do about it without seeming bitter.
It is an age-old bias dating back to the days of the Aryan invasion. In fact, the entire caste system is originally based on skin colour.
I don't think it's a bad thing to be honest. If you run your own firm or plan on doing so, you will agree, otherwise you will downvote. I interned with a tier-2 in Delhi and I saw pretty female associates on client video calls that lasted 4.5 hours and nothing useful being discussed - the client was asking questions like marriage plans, favourite brands etc.. the associate then convinced the client to get IP work done as well even though the firm isn't an IP powerhouse- guess what- the client agreed - the Managing partners know who can bring in more business - this is how it works man!
Of course. Bt nt so simplstc as u tink. For eg, in my org I hav 2 typs of ppl - (a) boys who hav fire in der blood to learn & wrk - dey r d backbone of my org and (b) pretty grls who may nt b as capble as my boys bt who r 4m gud families n gud ppl. D lattr improv office enviro & ovr d decades, I hav beneftd immnsly thru their famly contacts & my biz has grown expontly. All dis will wrk only if u nt a tharki and I am nt (me happily mrrd 4 many many yrs to d luv of me lyf).
There is a saying in Hindi: "A fair skin hides a thousand faults". It is used in the context of marriage of girls, but it applies in the case of law firm employees too.