Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
Hi guys so I recently did CLAT 2022 with a pretty dismal AIR of 820(considering the amount of time I had put in, even though I wasted most of it). I'm currently considering joining either a low tier NLU or a private college because I have a pretty good LSAT percentile of 95.40%. CLAT 2023 will be in December in 6 months and after the wake up call I got from my performance this time, I feel confident in getting a better rank with 6 or so months of hard work. I'm not taking a drop year because I always have to consider the possibility that in the worst case where my rank doesn't improve I will not have wasted a year for no reason.

Need some advice on this, especially if anyone has ever done something like this before successfully. I was offered JGLS admission but I feel horribly guilty for making my parents bleed money for something that is essentially my fault(not studying properly for the CLAT). I might do a year in Jindal while studying for the CLAT but I don't think my family can bear the 5 year massive fee that they charge. Any advice or help at all would be greatly appreciated! :)
Don't worry, buddy. Let me start by saying that you are just starting out. At 820, you should still be able to get an okay NLU from where you can do well, so the world is not over. Also, you may consider taking the NRI sponsored route, it'll be a better option than Jindal. Costs about the same, but with your rank, you will probably get into NUJS.

All that aside, if you feel the fees of Jindal/NRI sponsored quota will be an undue burden, really don't worry about it. Taking a drop is okay, as long as you are focused in your prep. But like you said, CLAT/AILET can really be a gamble sometimes and I understand why you'd want a safety net. I would say it's still okay to drop a year and prep really well (a gap year makes NO difference) instead of enrolling in a college and paying the exorbitant fee. Esp if paying for the entire course at Jindal is completely out of the question. Think of it this way: if JGLS for five years isn't a viable option at all, then what use is it as a safety net? So why even pay a year's semester's fee?
Taking this into consideration, a T3 NLU would make more sense. But the problem with that is, CLAT 2023 is in December. You have just six months. A lot of people prepare for CLAT while studying in T2/T3 NLUs and perform very well. A lot of people in NALSAR and NLS are kids who did a year at a lower NLU/private college. But taking admission in a college, moving away from home, getting used to a new environment, new routine, new people, new freedoms can be a very disruptive process that takes some time to get used to, a couple of months, at least. When you have only six months, losing two can be a major dent.
Which is why, based on what you said, I'd say drop a year and prep at home. ABSOLUTE worst case scenario, you join the same T3 NLU a year later, big deal. But the potential upside is huge. It's not wasting a year for no reason, it's taking an intelligent, calculated risk, where the odds are in your favour. There is a chance that it may not pay off, but even then, a year's gap is really something must people don't even bat an eye over. And at least you wouldn't have spent an extra year's fee.
If you would still prefer having the safety net, I'd say go for the NLU.

Side note: JGLS does have means-cum-merit scholarships. Check in with their office, see if you qualify for any aid.

Good luck!