Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, I have always been interested in litigation so I didn't ever compete for Tier 1 firms because never wanted to do corp law found it very hard to get directly placed in disputes teams of law firms. However, money has always been a huge factor for me since I'm from a middle-class family. I did get offer from a tier-2/3 litigation focused firm with decent pay but I rejected it to join a commercial litigation office. The lawyer is amazing and the work is very dynamic. I'll learn a lot. The pay is decent and I'll be able to save marginally despite rent and all. However, I'm worried that this persistent anxiety about money will catch up with me within a few months into the job and I'll regret my career choice and I'll end up desperately looking to switch to Tier 1 firms for money.

in any case, I think I just want to know that at the very least will I have an option to switch to disputes team of top law firms if things don't work out? How hard is that? I'm from a top tier NLU so does that make any difference? Will the experience I gain from the current office help? Because there's lot of IBC, tax, regulatory practice. Do top law firms laterally hire people with litigation office background?

@ R/Kian please publish this. Thanks!
I have the same dilemma. Someone please answer. Do firms, especially Disputes teams hire people with chamber-work experience, when the experience relates to commercial litigation?
Don't worry buddy, you are not jeopardising your chances of getting into a T1 by litigating. I litigated for nearly two years before joining a Corp team, without even losing seniority (although I got lucky there, most people have to take a hit). And I'm from a Tier 2 NLU. This was when I was transitioning from general litigation (mix of commercial, criminal and regulatory) to core MnA. The attrition rates at these places are so high that they'll take just about anyone who has a fair understanding of the subject area and won't leave in six months.
If you've got a sustainable litigation gig where you can even save after living expenses, I'd say don't worry at all. Take the opportunity to learn. I personally don't know much about disputes, but I don't see why you would have any trouble in transitioning to a disputes team with a T1 firm. In fact, since your prior experience would be wholly relevant, try looking for a job where you don't have to take a hit in seniority. If you litigate for two years and they take you on as an A1 that's still fine, but if they discount your prior experience entirely, I'd say look for another place.
Thanks for this!! The fact that you were able to switch from litigation to M&A is really interesting. Never thought that would be possible. Can you tell why you decided to switch to corp firms?
Oh Corp was always the way to go for me, but I come from a T2 NLU and whiled away my time in college. I got placed at a T3 firm, but the reviews were so bad I decided not to join and took up whatever paid work I could find, which happened to be in litigation. Then one firm happened to have a massive exit, an entire team moved out, so they desperately needed people. But even then, it was very unusual for them to not dock off any years in seniority (I did miss out on a bonus/increment tho).

The bottom line is: if you are even a half-decent lawyer, the door to a T1 is always open, so don't worry about that. The worst thing they can do is take you on as an A0. But since your prior experience will be relevant, apply tp multiple places and try to find one that credits you for your experience or takes away a year max.
Same question.

I have joined a corporate-commercial chamber for a Senior Advocate practicing before the High Court and Supreme Court, but financially it's not working out for me. I come from a top NLU and have a stellar CV, just chose to not sit for placements or seek out T1 internships because I thought I'd be okay with litigation.

Now I am feeling depressed and anxious thinking that I have ruined my career and I can't shift to a law-firm job anymore.
Can you elaborate more on why you feel disappointed with the current litigation job? Is it just the money or do you now realise that you don't like the practice area/litigation?