Read 49 comments as:
Filter By
Like Taj Chambers, Indus, Soho etc? Basically I mean places that still have memberships open, unlike Delhi Golf Club, Willingdon, IIC etc. Also, do the top law firms have corporate memberships with these places, through which partners can join?
Get something you're comfortable using with confidence. You might have moolah for the very expensive ones but you might also look out of place or visibly insecure there.
Top 5 private clubs in India:

1. Taj Chambers
2. ITC Club Prive
3. Lodhi Club
4. Equus St Regis
5. Four Seasons Club

https://www.pressreader.com/india/india-today/20210705/283656827805995
If you're in Delhi,

Delhi Golf Club and Gymkhana are two very prestigious institutions that remain accessible to the elite section of the society. I have heard (and read) that the membership queue for the latter is so long that it can take as long as 30 years to get approval
The job title of even a Managing partner does not not give you the clout to jump queues for such elite clubs. Dilli me logo ke paas andha paisa hai, had money been the criteria then thousands of people would have got membership to such clubs. You need to hold a powerful position(Group A) in the govt to get access to such clubs. A law firm ki naukri is another private sector job who know one cares about. What prompted you to think that the management of elite clubs would give priority to a Law firm ka cho*u over top ranked functionaries of the govt?
I have been to the Delhi Golf Club and the the Delhi Gymkhana Club several times. The membership is not as elite as one might think. Most are children of members. They are no doubt wealthy but are not necessarily CEOs or owners of the absolute top companies. The best place to meet those people are Taj Chambers, St James's in London, at Davos etc. However, there are various IAS officers who visit the Delhi clubs, who are useful for networking.
Not trying to be sarcastic, but in Modi's India the movers and shakers don't go to clubs, have beer and mutton biryani and play golf. They go to RSS Shakhas and pujas and have vegetarian food, along with events of "nationalist" groups like the Vivekananda Foundation, Pondi Lit Fest etc.
How about these?
India International Centre
India Habitat Centre

Possible to get memberships here?
Fun fact: The Vice Chancellor of Jindal is a member of India international Centre and India habitat Centre, Which is why Jindal hosts so many Events there .So if law firm partners cannot get in then try becoming VC of Jindal.
A non-corporate perspective.

I live in a Tier 2 city in South India. I have a a decent practice as a newly independent lawyer with only 7 years.

Instead of going to clubs - I have gone to caste/community meetings. Mine is a relatively wealthy OBC Caste.

I have been able to get matters through these caste organization meetings.

I have friends who have tried going to religious or political party gatherings hoping to make connections and get business.

But caste meetings work better - the level of trust you get at a caste/community meeting is far higher than that at a religious or political meeting.

People trust you, involve you in personal matters and happily give you cases.
the club he is referring too, is the local toddy shop or folks part of Sand Mafia.
How is calling a casteist jerk ...a casteist jerk 🧌 ish??

Kuch bhi.
This is a video about the Soho Club Mumbai. Membership is NOT hereditary and can be got for around 1 crore, with an annual recurring charge of 1 lakh (although an existing member must nominate you). Most of the Bollywood biggies and nepo kids are members, so it's definitely worth it if you advise the entertainment industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YEV0H8ZfmI
If you do not have access to club memberships, consider attending meetings of spiritual organisations like Art of Living, Radha Swami Satsang Beas, Isha Foundation (Sadhguru) or even a big Church or Gurdwara. Many rich people feel insecure about having so much money and seek recourse to religion and spirituality. So if you network well you can meet some really big people there. You can fake an interest in spirituality if you have to.

Remember also that Shahid Kapoor married Mira Kapoor on the advice of the Radha Swami Satsang Beas. So maybe you can find a rich Bollywood actor/actress as a life partner to at such places too!
Yes, but it would involve having to go to these awful boring satsang, vegetarian, prayer meet places!
In my view, the most influential club is a club called the Constitution Club in Delhi. It is meant for Members of Parliament and senior IAS officers, but they also admit some journalists, lawyers and NGO types. If you practise in the Supreme Court, try and see if you can make it here.
Constitution club does not throw it's membership open to ias officers, it is only meant for MPs,MLAs, out of bounds for babus. DSOI and TOI are way to good but it exclusively for def officers.
Can’t lawyers join the Constitution Club? What an irony if not!
How can one join the Supreme Court Bar Association? Is any lawyer who argues a case before the SC eligible?
Not necessary. There are many options. Check the SCBA website for more details.
I would advise joining CII and FICCI committees to make good business contacts. There are many top people there.
The elite gymkhana clubs are not that helpful. Mostly young nepo kids. Their dads are the ones on CII and FICCI committees who are the big fish.
Gymkhana doesn't have young kids. Gymkhana has super old uncle and auntys - their sonds and daughters are the ones on CII and FICCI committees.
People who ask questions like these on LI will never make it to any of these.
Be authentic. Most clients are too. The blue-blood old boy club of Monday is dying and the old money Delhi businesses are IBC.
You guys have missed one very important club: alumni associations. In this case, alumni associations of elite schools (like Doon, Woodstock, Cathedral etc) and colleges (like St Stephen's, IIT, IIM etc) are very useful. Unfortunately, alumni associations of NLUs are not so useful, as you will meet mostly competitors rathe than potential clients. However, if you have done an LLM from abroad, then attending alumni meets of these colleges could help you.
A 2-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
Guys, how come no one is talking abut Rotary or Lions Club? I think they can be pretty useful. Does anyone have experience?
Agree. The Lions and Rotary crowd are basically cringey uncles. If you want to make contacts in 21st century India without any family backing, then just join politics. There are certain lawyers from regular middle-class families who are today among the nation's elite because of their proximity to the RSS/BJP. They did pro bono work for these parties and have been handsomely rewarded, including with memberships of the IIC and Delhi Gymkhana. Kinda sad but true.
Cringey uncles is exactly what I had in mind when I typed "yuck". You sum it up pretty well. I was briefly associated with one of these clubs. Mostly lala-ji type uncles who had tent-house businesses, catering businesses, some randomass factory, etc.
There is a difference between Rotary and Lions. Rotary has classier people and may be useful for networking. Lions is for lala-ji uncles, as you say.
Does Round Table only do social work or is it good for networking?
Guys, are any of you members of the Quroum in Gurgaon or Mumbai, or do you know anyone who is? Is it easy to get in? According to Google you pay Rs 2.5 lakh as entry fee and 1 lakh each year as a recurrent fee. Doesn’t seem much at all compared to other places.