Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
Dear R/Kian,

I have a very important question for you. Various news sites and blogs that are publicly accessible have alleged that certain lawyers in India have committed sexual harassment -- either during their practice or during their college days. Can I start a crowdsourced thread with the names of the people accused and the relevant links? You can stipulate the following conditions:

- No value judgements to made, only names and links to be shared.
- No names not backed up by links
- Only names of alleged harassers explicitly mentioned in the links to be stated, no guesses if someone not explicitly named.
- All the links should be in the public domain
- All posts must have this disclaimer: "Everyone is innocent/blameless until found to the contrary by a court or internal committee."

I am asking you these questions because I don't want to start a thread if you are going to censor it. In my view, it should be allowed and not censored in public interest. In one case, an intern in a law firm committed suicide and the alleged harassers were arrested by the police (now out on bail). The purpose of this thread is to end the culture of silence that exists in the legal profession.

Looking forward to your response.
A 6-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
Dear Kian,

You are an idiot if you approve this thread. Unless someone is convicted - you can't name and Shame them.
Last I checked, there is no law that prevents anyone from creating a list of people against whom accusations have been made. Provided the list clearly mentions that those are accusations and not convictions.
Quote:
Unless someone is convicted - you can't name and Shame them.
Why not?
This idea makes absolutely no sense. It’s clear that if someone is made the subject of allegations, people just presume guilt - lawyers and non-lawyers alike. Just human nature.
This is totally illegal and rubbish, just defaming and harassing people when not found guilty by a court, just a way of dirty politics and bad naming when even the most activist media channels have been barred from doing so.
Kian, and I believe in popular support, this would be totally unwarranted for a place like legallyindia which strictly maintains privacy and ethics.