Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
My main goal in life is to get into some or other government service, preferably UPSC. I am currently in my second year of law at NLS, and totally disenchanted with law as a career. In addition to that, I believe that NLS gives a lot less exposure than the elite DU colleges. And not only the college, even living in a city like Delhi has a lot of advantages. I am thinking of writing CUET and dropping out from NLS. Would that be a good idea? Or am I missing something? A mature advice would be welcome. Thank you!
This is the most moronic question I have seen here in a long time. How did you even manage to get in NLS? considering you're so delusional. Don't drop out, I repeat don't drop out. Understand this, B.A LL.B is a professional course and is way more valuable in the longer run. Secondly, government exams are extremely competitive and realistically your odds of making through are not high. Complete your graduation from here and then if necessary take a drop year to prepare for your desired government exam. Even if you don't crack UPSC you can still go back to a career in law. Worse possible scenario you'll have to teach in a coaching institute. The name tag of NLS will guarantee you a job in the legal market in some form or other. On the other hand if you get a degree from DU, you won't get that benifit. In DU you will be doing a non professional course and if you don't crack your desired government exam then you will be on the streets. I took two drop years to get into a T1 NLU and my friends on the other hand joined DU after their 12th. Now most of them are either doing a M.A or are already in the vicious circle of preparing for competitive exams. In simpler words their career is a mess and now they are cribbing about how there are no jobs in the market for them. I can guarantee you most of them will end up as school teachers, few of them will be Asst. Professors which again pays nothing and only one or two of them will crack UPSC.

The bitter truth is, "humanities" don't pay. Your Pol. Sc degree has no marketability and hence, you don't have anything to rely upon later on. NLS provides a back up, NLS will work like your parents. After you're done experimenting and somehow if things don't work out you'll still be able to use your degree to sustain yourself. So get your degree from NLS first and then do whatever you want.
I write this as someone who is disenchanted with law as well.

Whether you continue at NLS or move to DU, you will graduate in 2025, so both paths will take the same amount of time before you get your first attempt at UPSC.

Normally, I encourage people to leave law school if they don't find it to be to their liking, because that is what I wish I had been bold enough to do. But in most of these cases, a BA.LLB has no value addition to offer to their true goal/interest. I always had doubts about joining law school and I think it would have been better if I had quit after first year and joined DU, I had the scores to get the course and college I wanted. But that is because I wanted to do something I couldn't with a law degree and could only do with DU. That is not the case for you.

NLS as an institution, IMO, FAR outranks most colleges and degrees from DU in terms of prestige and marketability. And the crowd is also likely to be better at NLS. As someone from Delhi who almost went to DU I can tell you a VERY significant chunk of DU students consists of vapid airheads. That is not to say the entire University is necessarily worthless, no, far from it, but NLS, esp at the undergrad level, is more likely to provide an intellectually stimulating environment.

Coming to your goal of UPSC, a law degree is a VERY good bundle of subjects for UPSC. You will have a very solid grounding in polity and the Constitution, more so than a Pol Science honours student. And studying these from a legal angle gives you the analytical skills needed for Mains.
Also, this may be a slightly controversial opinion, but as an optional paper, law is a great choice. The syllabus is VERY easily doable, even if you don't particularly like law and tbh kinda interesting.
Even after selection, there are several postings that are reserved for people with a background in law. So a BA degree, unless in economics or something, is unlikely to open any additional doors for you in terms of what roles you can get, but a law degree will. Even if you apply for other government services like Class B officers with the MEA etc, a background in law can help you get placed in the Treaties Division or related offices.

Delhi offers a lot of advantages, sure, but you are in your second year. You have three years to go before you take a stab at the exam. So you won't (and shouldn't) be joining physical coaching right now anyway. If you earnestly start you preparation now, you probably won't even need classroom coaching, just a test series. Besides this, Delhi doesn't offer any other advantage.

TLDR, I am all for shifting, but when the course you're shifting to gives you some specific advantage, something you cannot do from your current path. You have invested significant time and money into NLS. Also, your goal may change eventually, and the opportunity cost of leaving NLS is very significant. So consider all this before you make a decision. Good luck.
NLS is miles ahead of St. Stephens/Hindu/Hansraj in every aspect. People studying these DU colleges r the ones who couldn't clear any professional undergraduate exams.
Was allotted one of the top 5 in the general category,still chose Ramjas which isn't even as good as Stephen's/Hindu.Depends on personal preference.
Go for St.Stephen's, lower NLUs are shit. Try for the 3 year programme of NLS after 3yrs in stephens
The opportunities may seem erratic in one particular year but it’s NLSIU dude - lmao methodically compare Karo , it’s ahead of Stephens (in terms of UPSC also)
Stephen's had 9 in CSE 2022 top 100 rankers,let alone total qualifiers.
A 32-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.