Read 32 comments as:
Filter By
I have been sending out applications for 2 weeks but the response rate has been very minimal, and I want a better offer, after much consideration and not much to lose, I had the idea to start approaching the SAs/PAs in the 6 firms that I am interested in, for a traineeship, in person.

How stupid is this, and could it work?
I once tried it (way back) wherein I went to couple of firms in Defence Colony, Delhi with hard copy of my CV but it didn't help. Receptionist couldn't even understand what I was looking at and when she understood it, the relevant person just took the hard copy but nothing happened.

The reason for this primarily is because the recruitment/internship is ultimately done by the lawyers and not by the traditional HR/admin teams. To that extent, hard copies of such CVs etc. does not even reach to the right person to process the application!
Sounds about the same as what i expect, but i just don't know what else i can do at this point to get my cv in the hands of someone who would make the decision, short of just bothering them, at the risk of being blocked and burning that bridge.
Sorry if I'm coming across as pessimistic or too negative, I'm just trying to brainstorm with whoever chooses to participate in that process
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, think for the T1s, internship requests are attended to by HRs and not the lawyers (other than the client requests candidate being accommodated)
A 8-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Thanks!
I've been a little worried about coming off as needy and offputting approaching them this way, but i guess, showing up and demanding an audience in their faces would be substantially more disconcerting for them
Hey, I am looking out for the same, may be we can both help each other. I am looking out in Dispute team.
May I contact you somehow? I'd like to have a word with you about legal internships.
Hi, atleast 4-5 candidates approach me every month on LinkedIn for internship/A0 level jobs. I patiently hear them. If they are really worth their salt, i help them in the capacity I can.
I find a good candidate one in every 10-15 candidates. I look at their CV, talk to them to know their interest and whether they are telling the truth or simply bluffing.

I have also seen candidates who swear by their mother to be a super enthusiast of the field of law which I practise but when I talk to them, they are completely clueless. That's a major demotivator to extend help.
Thank you for helping us out, I've been looking for SAs such as yourself, and it's difficult to say the least.
The alumni and contacts i have been in touch with are either not from my field, or are from chamber practices, and I really want to join a firm at this juncture instead, for which, they cannot be of much help despite their efforts.

Keeping my head up though, good to know there's more like you.
Passion is overrated, atleast in the initial years of one's career. It's hard to figure out interest areas so early in your career.

IMO the technical side of law can always be learnt on the job. People are just looking for a break. Work ethic and analytical skills seem to be more relevant factors to judge freshers instead of interest and passion.
Agreed - If some one claims to be passionate about a particular stream of law but do not even know the latest judgments passed in last 2-3 months, it reflects on their work ethics.
I don't think a walk in is a good idea.You should mail them and then maybe try in person. Don't want to be pessimistic but I generally think the in person surprise meeting or walk in won't go down well.
Yeah it would look super unprofessional to just walk in and ask for an internship. It might just make thr whole endeavour unfavourable
Dis is d correct approach. Dont use Linkdin n all dat rubbish - 100s of waste ppl try to reach out over dat... u try n make direct contact.... may come as a surprise to law school types but vast majority of hirees outside of d 4-5 alleged t1 firms are taken like dat only.
If I were a partner at a law firm and got approached by a walk-in applicant, I would consider that person a moron. Personally, I'd rather apply at 100 different places in a single day, from the comfort of my home, and then do follow-ups with receptionists and HRs.

I'd walk in only if I knew exactly who I wanted to work under and in what practice. If you are looking for just a job because you are desperate, it's going to look very poor on you and indicative of badly managed college time than as something heroic or brave.
I apologise if i upset you in any way mr. I am not yet a partner and know the intricacies of their social interactions,
i did however mention in the original post, that i am looking at certain teams at certain firms, 6 to be exact.
So i do not think your criticisms are warranted.

Thank you for your tip on contacting hr but since I'm not sending out the hundred applications you would opt to, i have had less luck than what you might expect.
U r clearly n entitled felow who has nt struggld in lyf. Suggest u refrain from peddling the garbage u think is advice to yung imprssnble minds.
Suggest u lk beynd wrds & semntcs n understnd the point of discussion beta. Clients want dynamism - nt pendantic pencil pushers.
the HR typically goes through the resume and then forwards it to multiple partners who are looking for more hands on deck. if you drop off a physical copy at the reception, good chance it wont reach HR. Even if it does, unless you are a total star, they wont be putting in effort to scan it and share with multiple partners. Send mails to HR, partners, SAs, PAs - any of these can convert an email into an interview. all the best
2 weeks is short time.And if you reach out only to Tier 1s like AZB,SAM is when there is no response. Most boutique forms and tier 2 are most likely to respond although may be delayed response.the whole legal industry is shifting out of the hands of Tier1.Good for alll
Seeing as how this thread has been a little active again i thought it appropriate to update all of you;

I received quite a few interviews and offers over these past weeks, from companies, firms and advocates; one of which had me stumble upon my ideal chamber in South Delhi subsequently, as of last week I am an associate and will be a practising advocate next month.

Over my interviews everything boiled down to why litigation and why not at a firm from the beginning?
All this while, I didn't really have an answer because i wasn't coming to litigation as a reaction of something but over time i understood that it was something innate about the way it is practiced that enamors me, perhaps, something innate about myself and thus, i chose to allow myself this leap of faith.

Very excited and I hope this update helps my peers who may be looking still, there's light at the end of this tunnel ❀️
not in bombay and delhi
do not cheapen yourself or the profession like this.
it is not the movies
and even there the better ones have agents.
email linked in and be honourable.
you are not selling objects here that it is a show of coolness to just walk in.
it can look desperate or even intimidating.