Read 47 comments as:
Filter By
Passed out from a traditional state uni in 2021. Preparing for judicial services for around 4 months now. Have given only 1 judiciary exam, the haryana one which i could not clear. Found out about Sebi Grade A a month before notification came out and discovered that its not a bad job either so, started preparing for that too. Took the phase 1 exam on 20 Feb '22. The result for that just came out and it turns out that i have cleared it. On the other hand, DHC put out the Delhi Judiciary notification yesterday with the prelims to be held on 27th March (which is surprisingly too soon). So, now i'm stuck between the two as to which one should i try for. The syllabus for both is mostly different barring a few same subjects, the weightage being totally different in both the exams even for the those subjects. So, i can prepare only for one of these. I have gone through the Sebi syllabus twice while through Judiciary syllabus only once. If anyone here has any experience in taking these examinations then please advise as to which one should i prepare for. Also, which job would be better in both short and long term considering i clear whatever exam i take? (its good to dream lol)
Since you are a 2021 graduate, I'll suggest you to go for SEBI. You've already cleared one stage, do your best for the second one also. Once you are into it, keep preparing for Judiciary if that is your end goal.
Try for both & if clear than would suggest give preference to judicial service (especially for DJS) because -

1. Salary, Allowances & Perks (post 2njpc)

2. Career progression

3. Dyanmic work culture (court/deputations)

4. post retirement scopes & benefits

5. Reputation, status, value

Are far better than SEBI. My father's friend is working in SEBI (right now in Grade C) he once told me that everyear number of employees resign for govt services (mostly for Judicial Service (post 2njpc) for salary, promotion & post-retirement scopes & working hours, etc).

Salary & perks are not big issues but the major concern at the SEBI right now is weak career progression, you'll find very tough to reach even at Grade D level but in judiciary atleast there is very high chance that one can get retire form DJ (STS) grade even if he become Magist. at the age of 35-40 & if join early then high chance to HC & if add luck then to Chief justice rank or SC.

First try for both, thereafter take counselling & choose according to your interest.
Depends on where you want to work (Since these are different fields, I assume that you are more or less okay with both). With Judiciary, you will be stuck in Delhi only while in SEBI, you can be posted in around 20-30 cities (Mostly state capitals).
With SEBI, you also have clear career progression. The work hours may not be as flexible as you would work under someone. Though the salary will be higher in SEBI when cost of living and career progression is considered.
The only problem I see is the less number of seats (3 dozen unreserved?).
SEBI grade A. Exposure will be huge. Especially if you are looking to join a law firm later. Even if you're not, and decide to continue in SEBI till retirement, it is a very sweet gig.
Grade A = gazetted officer, and comes with immense perks.

Judiciary will undoubtedly give you one big superpower : access. But the nature of work is such that it requires immense mental bandwidth. Litigation is extremely draining, and one has to find comfort in being on the hearing end for a very long time. Judiciary is tough, no doubt.

Ultimately, it's about where you get in. Choices come later. Do both.
SEBI Grade A is not UPSC Grade A. SEBI Grade D is the UPSC Grade A. SEBI ka ulta nomenclature hai. So, no huge perks or anything.
See bro, Judiciary has a lot of pendency and doest make sense at this stage of economy. Actually, no govt job makes sense. Pay is so much lesser than corporate. Choose wisely.
pay is 1.4L in hand now. If compared it with metro then should be around 2l and then there is pension.
3days phle hi allowances pass hua judges ka total 18-21 allowances milnge isko dekhne ke baad v SEBI sochna
Gross pay at SEBI Rs.90k-94k (with accom) or Rs.1.02L (w/o accom)

Gross pay at DJS Rs.1.5L to 1.6L (with or w/o accom)

Note - Both included allowance pay
SEBI CTC is around 19 lakhs in first year and in hand is around 1.2 lakh. There are a lot of monthly cash perks which is not reflected in notification.

P.S. I am a grade a office.
Since you are SEBI grade A officer. I guess you are the best person to answer this

1) 1.2 lakh in hand with or without accommodation?

2) What's the progression? How much will you be earning in hand, post 5 odd years down the line

3) How does one stand in the market post leaving SEBI legal? Do law firms take them? Or its back to stage 1?
For first I have given extensive breakdown in another comment and hope that will help.

Salary growth is slower than private sector but regulators are really good pay masters. In 5 years assuming you will be Manager your pay will be around 28-30 lakhs as CTC as value of perks increases a lot.

Law firms hire people from certain experiences which are directly relevant. Not every department is of relevance for law firms and unlike in the past when you could fool firms with your connection it is not true today. Many seniors after retirement act as consultants which serves purpose of law firms but if you get experience with EFD and Investigation Department firms would be more than happy to factor your experience.
This one is just before the 2022 revision. Kindly check the latest notification.

Its 1,10,000 with acc. Amd 1,49,500 with acc.

Plus their are lots of monthly , quarterly and yearly perks that you have to claim. And the taxes on perks ONLY are refunded ag year end.
Itni tezi se revision too law firm v nhi krti jitna sebi kr rhi.....SEBI ka latest revision hi Aug/Sep 2022 mai hua from Rs.28K to Rs.44k...mai khud prptn kr raha hu SEBI ki hmre coaching se kai log selected, unlogo ne hi class mai sbko btya hai latest starting basic hi 45K (post revision) & total gross 94K jata hai.

Wo pdf post revision ka hi hai jo ki har revision ke baad ek upload krti hai SEBI.

So apne man se kuch v salary mat batao OK
So focus on study and if you deserve you may get to know yourself instead of sharing random Gyan here
Go and open 2023 legal notification and you will know. And people you can really check instead of relying on random troll
95k is IN HAND after all the deductions like Income tax , association charge , food subsidy etc.
That's just the salary what about the perks given Monthly quaterly amd yearly ?
Share the link of latest official notification if such is salary than it must be in public domain as per RTI...on sebi website it's Rs.44K
Only if you had understanding that the salary slip you are referring to is prior to revision. Plus you get allowances like 200 liters of petrol which is almost 22k, newspaper allowance and telephone allowance, NPS payment which is almost 30k to you NPS account, Sodexo payment of around 5k, annual furniture maintenance of around 80k and for furniture 4 lakh every 4 years, almost 40k for laptop every 4 years, for tours almost 1.2 lakhs every alternate year. There are so many allowances which are not provided on purpose to avoid public scrutiny. Anyways I have nothing to gain from convincing you but guys do your research ask people who are working and you will get to know.
Also you get 30k as rent and if you are wondering perquisite tax so the matching amount is paid at the end of financial year.

Hope it will help who genuinely wants to know
Pay: The pay scale of officers in Grade A is ₹ 44500-2500(4)-54500-2850(7)-74450-EB-2850(4)-858503300(1)-89150 (17 years). Presently, the gross emolument including SEBI’s Contribution towards National Pension Scheme (NPS), Grade Allowance, Special Allowance, Dearness Allowance, Family Allowance, Local Allowance, Learning Allowance, Special Grade Allowance, Special Compensatory Allowance, etc. at Mumbai at the minimum of this scale is approx. ₹1,49,500/- p.m. without accommodation and ₹1,11,000/- p.m. with accommodation.

Benefits: Other benefits viz.,

Leave Fare Concession - 1.2 lakh for two years or 60k per annum

Medical Expenses - family insurance plus 25k for dental annually

Eye Refraction -10k for glasses annually

Education Allowance - Depends from 2-6k monthly

Financial Dailies - 2k monthly

Book Grant - 5k annually

Briefcase - 2k annually

Conveyance Expenses - cost of 200 litres of petrol monthly

House Cleaning Allowance - 5k monthly

Scheme for Purchasing Computers - 40k for 4 years of 10k annually

Furnishing - 4 lakh every 4 years or 1 lakh annually and 80k annually for maintenance

Hope you can calculate CTC now and again the point of refund of perquisite tax and then on refund tax is imposed. So, only 9 percent tax on these perquisites
Both of you're correct but the guy (defending pdf) has only taken cash allowances for calculations as for gross pay non-cash allowances never calculates that is why IAS gross pay comes around 1lpm-1.1lpm whereas civil judges gross pay comes around 1.12pm - 1.3lpm (pre-2njpc allowances)

ANDthe guy (defending ctc) has calculated whole allowances that is why misunderstandings arised. CTC include whole expenditures i.e, salary + perks + allowances (both cash & non cash) and whatever the organisation spend on individual that's why SEBI CTC is around 19-20lpa if goes by that then IAS & civil judges ctc would be above than 30-35lpa.
Why is this comment even hosted here. It is stupid, abusive and does not add anything to this thread other than the proof of stupidity of this person.
ever heard of a thing called perks amd allowances ? or do you live in a cave ?
This is before the 2022 revision.

Latest notification says 1,10,000 with acc. And 1,49,500 without acc.
Go check in the recruitment section of SEBI website. Latest notification is available. Abb thodi to mehnat kar lo
1. Sebi pay is around 22 LPA in the 1st year without accommodation (check latest notification for revision). This includes all perks (monthly , quarterly and yearly).

2. Job is in Mumbai only. ( Low chances of other postings )

3. 9-5 work hrs. 5 day week.

4. Lunch , breakfast and snacks at office.

5. Decent workload.

6. Low pressure.

7. Decent exposure. Yes, law firms do give you offers to join. And good deputations available.

8. In some dept. their is under table earning (Rumours but confirmed)

Cons - Mumbai life (many people don't like), As such no power. Work gets boring after a point of time. Sycophancy and office politics, Can't invest in shares (only mutual funds)

Judiciary cons - High work load , Rural posting , Bad infra , HUGE HUGE Sycophancy, Political interference , Surrounded by incompetent people, Slow promotion , Negligible chances of going to HC

Judiciary pro- Respect , Good networking , Decent pay, If your are corrupt you can earn decent amount, Home state posting.
Ye alag hi aa gaya 22lpm...don't know mod comments pdhte v ya nhi koi kuch v dal rha bina proof
Calculate the breakdown given above and you might understand the number
Kindly visit the Sebi website recuitment section latest notification hai waha pe. It clearly mentioned salary of 1.5 lakh per month.

Thodi mehnat kar lo tum bhi.

And for rest of the perks -

** Some like medical spects will be less as they include spouse also. So adha karlo agar zyada mehnat na ho to

Dude there is difference b/w salary & scale of pay. Under "SALARY" each employee of particular grade gets equal amount of pay (see 2022 pay slip)

whereas under "SCALE OF PAY" an organisation's ceiling limit of expenditures given on particular employee at that grade i.e., how much an organisation would spent on particular employee of that grade which include salary (see 2023 advt not.)

You go & read the 2023 notification strictly (also read your shared photo/data) basic pay & scale of pay separately mentioned & written "at the minimum scale of Rs.1.49lpm". If goes by that than an IAS's scale of pay at fresher grade (post 7cpc) is above Rs. 2.5lpm, JAG goes for Rs.3lpm, ISRO scientists Rs.2.5 - Rs.3lpm & so on.

No idea about civil judges but sure that they have high scale of pay comparing with any govt. services in India currently as whose salaries are high, scale of pay automatically high.

So be practical & do small research, current in-hand (post deduction) pay of sebi freshers are max. Rs.60K - 62kpm, IAS in-hand pay currently is Rs.82K-90K whereas civil judges in-hand is Rs.96K - Rs.1.09lpm
Anybody working at SEBI ? Whats the pay ,promotion , satisfaction and work like ?
Pay - 94K to 1lpm

Promotion - slow (hard to get in Grade D/E grade)

Work life - mixture feeling of Govt dept & corporate law firm

Satisfaction - if you're ok with salary & promotion than A1 job as you will leave in Mumbai
Heard their is a lot of office politics and pressure of corruption specifically in dept related to Enforcement , Investigation and IPO's.

Any truth in this ?