Read 64 comments as:
Filter By
Software or Tech-related engineering >>>>> Law

Otherwise, it is a case-by-case scenario.
A 4-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Bhai engineering karlo if you have money to go abroad for MS, I have seen shitty engineering kids not doing anything in college then getting good university for MS and landing a job in USA.
Are there any IIT Kharagpur's law department alumni here who could answer this question? Since many of them are engineers.
IIT Kgp Alum here.

Many may not like this statement but the kind effort required to go through the engineering course cannot be compared with law.

If you want to get an engineering job which pays equivalent to Tier 1 firms then your best shot is to graduate from the IITs, IIITs, NIITs. You cannot compare the difficulty level of these entrance exams with CLAT. I have given JEE, AIEEE, GATE, CLAT and LSAT. Trust me.

All jobs are taxed under the salary head, so the CTC and the in Hand amount would be very different.

If you are getting a good NLU, then I would suggest going for law.

If you want to go for UPSC, law is also a good optional subject. Much easier compared to the engineering subjects.

This is just a broad overview. Let me know if you have any specific queries.
I'm not sure engineering is as glorified as suggested by fellow folks in LI, it's just about what you want to do.
Yahan pe jo aadhe log bol rahe hain ki engineering is better, 12th ka integration nahi bane inse :)
Isliye don't take these sort of advices in LI, ask someone who has been in both spheres, that would fetch you more.
Computer engineering job has nothing to do with maths. Maths practice se acha ho jata h. Afterall everyone cleared their board. Similarly you only have to clear ur maths sem papers in an engineering college
Engineering over law any day.

1. Greater chances to get a job abroad.
2. Greater chances of getting a good score in CAT/GMAT and getting into a good B School
3. Better alumni networks
4. More respect in society
5. Sundar Pichai, Parag Agarwal, Satya Nadela, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Raghuram Rajan etc etc.
It all depends on your aptitude. Being in the lower end of the spectrum of either of the professions isn't a great place to be. I am pretty sure that if I had opted for engineering I wouldn't have made it to the IITs or even NITs. But I'm happy being in one of the top law schools of the country, gives me a great environment to achieve whatever I want.
U don't have to study btech in iits and nits to land a good engineering job. One can do btech from a normal college and than go for mtech in a iit or nit. I hv seen a few of my friends do this. They got a starting package of around 36-40 Lacs CTC in Qualcomm and Nvidia. They were pretty avg in school too.
Engineering, bohot badi galti kardi maine law(nujs) leke, tu matt karna
Can you elaborate? I am going to NUJS later this year and this has me got me concerned.
Don't trust these LI posters. Most of them aren't even real. NUJS is a great place to study law.
Things have changed a lot for tech jobs in last 2 years. Earlier only those from top engineering colleges were making good money but now even those from Tier3 colleges are doing much better than grads from top law colleges.

However this is only true for tech jobs. Other engineering streams like civil, mechanical are way way behind.

Have seen engineering grads holding on to 3- 5 offers after resigning. My friend jumped from a salary of 15lpa to 45lpa just by using other offer letters.
True, the market is super hot right now. They are hiring at an unprecedented rate. Doubling or tripling the packages just out of nowhere. I don't think this is going to slow down anytime soon.

Anyone who doesn't get a good job in this market was not competent enough in the first place.

I know at least 6-7 alum of my High School who got into Google (international and domestic). Earlier, it was a unicorn's sight.
Please choose eneering as law is neither about merit nor about passion all about nepotism contacts and lol. engineering if one do hard work in software one can always suceed
Dear CLAT aspirtant,
it is as simple as this, none of these professions is good or bad, or high paying. If your interest lies in a particular subject go for it. Everything depends on you. There exists thousands of unemployed engineers as well as Satya Nadela, and Sundar Pichai. There exists hundreds of LLB passed uncles-aunties who do not practice law and are unemployed, as well as Harish Salve and Cyril Shroff.
The top 1% of people of all these professions (engineers, managers, lawyers, doctors, accountants, bankers, politicians) are highly paid. Depends on your own skills and luck. Choose whatever suits you.

And R, please stop posting such time-wasting absurd questions over here.
Harish Salve, the top 1%, comes nowhere close to engineers (entrepreneurs).
My brother's a 1st gen kiddo owns own law firm.. Bought Himself a G.wagon last year..lol
Being an average student in any top 30 engineering college would open up way more opportunities for you than even the top 10 law schools.
Have friends who have done engineering in random branches from top 30 engineering college, haven't seen a single of them making less than 1 lpa at start. Some even landed 35 lpa (domestic), foreign jobs are plum since stock options. Half of them are in US now (working, MS, MBA). All of them have a very decent work life balance and more money in bank than even my seniors at tier 1 firms let alone me.
As a lawyer who can't do math but loves tech and keeps track of tech (programming languages and so on), I wish I could've done something relayed to that. So much scope for making money, don't do law for making money
Engineering over law anyday.
Our previous Class Representative, a certain irrelevant Puneri, had gone to Kota to clear IIT JEE and had taken two yrs drop, still he couldn't even clear the Mains exam, and wasted his money. He then have CLAT and cleared it, and took admission in gnlu. And he is so shameless, that even though he couldn't clear her mains even after four yrs of preparation, he spends his time playing football in college. He became so unpopular that even though he wanted to re-contest the cr elections, he couldn't even apply bc of his unpopularity. His identify has now being limited to posting instagram stories, since he is not able to perform even in law school. He only knows how to waste his life and post some stories.
Okay now bye.
Forget engineering, it is better to do even a BA in English or History than law. The course is chill and you can use spare to time to prepare for an MBA or UPSC. And if you still want to do law you can do a 3 year LLB at NLSIU/DU/JGLS.
Nepo and privileged kids should do 3 yr law from any T4 college having no attendance requirements. Legal profession doesn't care about your college.
Take some time think about it deeply..ask your seniors,relations about both the carriers ..don't seek answers from other people just make your answers doodβ™₯οΈπŸ™Œ

...but engineering sucksπŸ€ŒπŸ˜…may be there will be scope upto 5-6yrs that's it..do lawπŸ€ŽπŸ„ bye
Look at the mass layoffs. Further, an engineering career is short, ending at 40-45 whereas lawyers earn more with experience.
It’s not okay not to make it into NLSIU. It’s fine - hey it’s fine :).
Having seen people from both sides of the spectrum and worked closely with them, I can tell you one thing, DO NOT do engineering.

Engineering has today become the biggest scam of India including the jobs. I know a friend who was a topper at a top NIT and landed a job with " 20LPA PACKAGE". Baadme I saw him living with 2 other friends in Bangalore saying he gets 35k per month actually and currently they are asking the employees to leave in 5-6 months and are not being given ANY WORK.

I know another guy in the US working at a top top company who's boss has asked him to leave in 8 months or he will fire him. They have reduced the actual inhand pay as well.

I see people writing that it's easy to go abroad. Why? CA Jaake 100 grand pre tax kamaoge fir bhi pachtaoge. What's with the craze going abroad lol? If you wanna go, join cap marks in a tier 1 and work for 5 years you will easily lateral to a magic/ big law, who make much much more money even living happily in Manhattan.

Also the Year on year growth is very limited at the FAANGs, why do u think 80 percent MBA grads were engineers.
Best of engineers are known worldwide and are involved in much important areas, whereas best of lawyer are not know worldwide, unless they have some law work in India then they wanna know who's best in India. Tech guy have almost competition from global pov, so they're better at things and are greatly paid, whereas lawyers are not anywhere good in global scenario and payment is even lowest.

Tech involves development which is real contributor in society, they bring substantial changes which really matter and shapes the society and economy directly.

Whereas,lawyer work is not that substantial or contributing in any growth of society, they're just loose tools for a cars, whereas engineering is still the engine of car. Loose tools are important but only when needed and hence less substantial.
Kiddo M.k Gandhi, Stalin , Vladimir Puttin so on are lawyers yaar

.Go google it lad
Engineering over law from some random University.

If it's the top 3-4 NLUs then go for it instead of doing engineering from some unknown college.

It also depends on what branch on engineering you are opting for.
whatever you're good at, but if you're not good in both then law is better choice
Law- do only if you are getting top 5 colleges (although, this does not hold true if judiciary is your aim).

Engineering- A ranked 50th college also would fetch you a decent paying job. Added advantage of Engg.+MBA which is not the case in law
Lol the people commenting the tier 3 colleges thing and transitioning are using 1-2 examples of students for the same. Do you know the numerous engineers in Infosys and the likes making 5LPA regularly. Further CTC is the biggest scam I know. Someone I know closely graduated top of their class from a IIT at 30 LPA from Microsoft. They made 1.12 Lakhs inhand. I asked him how?. He replied that 10 Lakhs is bonus to be given after working for 3 years. And a lot of it is RSUs.

Notwithstanding this, right now the boom of the market has stalled. But so has everywhere.
In saare engineering waalo se sirf itna pooch le ki salary comparison karke bata de vro paise to excellence me hai aur exceptional paise entrepreneurship me hai jisme degree ka koi role nhi hai
A 2-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 11-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 11-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 7-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.
A 7-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.