Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
I have recently secured an internship confirmation with ALG India in their General IP Team. I need help to understand some dynamics of the firm regarding:

- Work Environment
- Chances of an Assessment Internship converted into a PPO
- Stipend (if any)

Any other information surrounding the seniors and procedure during the internship would help. I am interested in IP laws and as I am at the end of my law school, I want to work in IP. If not ALG can someone help me with an alternative IP law firm
Hi!
Congratulations on securing the internship.
I am an upcoming Trainee Associate (General IP) at ALG, will be starting in May. Interned at the firm in July, 2021 and received a PPO from them.
The work environment is great, as far as I could tell as an intern. I made mistakes, but I was never shouted at or made feel bad for them. Instead, I was encouraged to rectify my mistakes. The associates supervising me showed immense patience and were very approachable.
After my internship was over, I received a recommendation in the email containing my certificate to apply for the position of TA(GIP). Applied for the same, was put through the Aptitude Assessment Test, then an interview with the Managing Partner and Practice Head. After this interview, if you receive an e-mail saying you're being given the option to take a Legal Skills Test to finalize your retainer, it means you've cleared the interview. So I'd say there are very good chances of your AI being converted to a PPO if you receive a recommendation. If you do not receive a recommendation, you can still apply for placement.
No stipend was given.
Hope this helps!
Their base pay at A0 level, or the "Trainee Associate" position as the firm calls it, is 40k per month. That's what they generally pay their TAs. The retainer is decided as per your application and your performance in the Legal Skills Test, and this initial retainer is non-negotiable. I currently do not know if any bonus is offered on top of that, but I feel otherwise.
Pay is slightly on the lower side in my opinion, but then IP doesn't pay that much across the entire industry! Given that firms like KCo. pay around 65k to their IP team A0s, 40k doesn't seem that bad for a small boutique.
Hi there,

Thank you for providing such a lucid & comprehensive response. Could you please throw some insights on the Aptitude test conducted by ALG. Is it a pen & paper test or like a computer based online test? Also, the essay writing part in their test... is it related to IP only or is it generic?
The girl who is the head of the firm (Sheja Ehtesham) is a Nalsar graduate, so the quality of training should be good.
Right. Because all NALSAR grads are by definition paragons of quality and efficiency.