Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
HYPE: We thought NLUs are like "IITs of law" and have a lot of prestige attached to them, even tier 2 NLUs.
REALITY: The average Indian has at best heard of only NLSIU and NALSAR, and the latter too mainly because of the Sadhguru controversy and Faizan Mustafa's terrible YouTube videos. In the case of NUJS,NLUD, NLUJ, HNLU, RGNUL or RMLNLU, more people have probably heard of NIFT and NID than these institutions.

HYPE: We saw TV shows with Ivy League law school dudes working in fabulous offices, wearing Armani suits, driving Ferraris, surrounded by glamorous babes, working on exciting cases. We though we will top NLU exams and go abroad and work in such foreign law firms.
REALITY: Very, very few foreign law firm jobs are available for Indian law grads.

HYPE: We thought that international law firms will enter India soon, and if we cannot experience foreign law firm life we can get a decent replica of it in India.
REALITY: India will NEVER allow foreign law firms and foreign firms have probably lost interest now. They would rather invest their resources elsewhere.

HYPE: We thought that an Indian Judicial Service, with similar prestige and perks as the IAS is on its way.
REALITY: Never gonna happen. NLU students are now preparing for IAS and competing with AMU and BHU history BA students (who outperform them as they have more preparation time due to easy standards in their college).

HYPE: We thought that working in Shardul Amarchand and Khaitan & Co is prestigious.
REALITY: Most people think the former is the name of a Gujarati sweet shop and the latter makes ceiling fans.

Let's face it. The nosy neighbourhood Auntyji who told you to study engineering like Sharmaji ka beta was probably right. And Auntyji's hot daughter will probably end up marrying Sharmaji ka beta 😒
Sorry to say but you're the one who comes off looking as foolish here.

1. Your decision to take up law was based on a loose and generalized comparison to IIT's. IIT's offer STEM programs and have been around for much much longer than NLU's. They were also set up at a time when India desperately needed technocrats post independence, and were set up along with solid collaborations with established countries that were India's allies. Eg. Russia. That's not the case with any NLU in this country.

IIT's are also central universities, unlike NLU's which makes a huge difference when it comes to growth and access to resources.

Also,not all IIT's are good. Some of the newer ones are yet to prove themselves. There's a reason why someone chooses a BITS Pilani over an IIT Mandi.

Larger point being, did you choose law to become a lawyer or to flaunt your NLS hoodie at an airport and get admiring looks from Sharma aunty and her daughter?

2. Your decision to take up law was based on watching shows such as Suits and your comment suggests that you continue to believe that foreign law firm jobs are exactly like they portray on such shows. I can't even begin to imagine the degree of idiocy that you've admitted to here.

3. Fyi, international law firms were present in India in the not so recent past and they continue to exhibit strong interest in India, servicing clients from Singapore and London. Just look at the amount of foreign capital that's been invested over the years. Once again, your knowledge here is woefully inadequate. What's troubling is you decided to make a major career choice based on this. I'm beginning to worry for Miss Sharma now.

4. Again, did you want to study law and become a judge so that you could impress Sharma aunty and her daughter? If that's the case, forget Sharma aunty, most of us are judging you right now.

5. Not everyone moves around in circles as ignorant as yours. Ask your circle what they think of when you mention firm names like GunnerCooke, Slaughter and May, and Baker McKenzie. While you're at it, ask them to buy a fan from Khaitan and Co. too.

6. With the limited neural network that your brain apparently seems to possess, Miss Sharma is better off with someone else anyway.

Enjoy your sweets from Amarchand while sitting under your Khaitan fan, day dreaming about a glamorous life in London. While you're at it, don't forget to stalk Miss Sharma and curse your rotten, well deserved luck.
Answer accha hai bhai tera but ye sab tu kisi aur ko samjhaega to log kahenge kyu kari law fir itna sab pata thaa to?
Ye Hinglish me baat mat kar yaar. Bahut annoying hai. Speak English. That is the language of a real lawyer. And your comment makes no sense in any tongue.
Kya bey - vakeel jab apni waali pe utar aataa hai to society ki foundation hil jaati hai

Tumhari problem ye hai ki tum asli vakalat karna hi nahiin chahte

Hawaai like waali duniya mein rehte ho
A 35-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
You are pretty useless if you can't make any changes at grass roots level.
On point, we'll only ever at max be the advisors to the king, never the king!
Studying hotel management is better than studying law.

People in India often look down upon hotel management as an inferior course for weak students. In my school, some of the students with the lowest marks ended up studying hotel management. However, these same students are today working with Marriott, Hyatt etc in Dubai and Singapore, earning very well. One guy I know studied hotel management in Switzerland and is today in a senior position with an international hotel group. He earns very well.

In comparison, only a minority of law graduates end up going abroad. The vast majority are working in India and are very unhappy with their jobs! Those working in lawyers chambers in court are literally earning as much as waiters in 5 star hotels!
Fuck the neighbourhood aunty.
I am earning a crore while her son is doing some shitty IT job.

No better revenge than success.

If you haven't succeeded yet, work harder.
I feel so jealous of engineers, don’t put half the effort in college enjoy their 4 years have minimal internships, get into prestigious universities while their professors support them, get into USA so easily, have a great work life balance. All while having fun.
For those who are still young, get an MBA and get the hell out of law.
Middle age borderline hatash (read depressed) Indian incel male located.
Solution - arranged marriage to the rescue.
Yea, computer engineering more specifically. They get to fly out to US/UK/Ireland/Australia. The worst of the lot gets to eastern european countries.

You can't underestimate how foreign job postings get these aunties thirsty. Even if (in some instances such as for waiters and clerks) they earn less than Indian jobbers.
Why are people so bothered by the opinion of neighbour aunty?
Eastern Europe? Seriously?
Ofc you're disappointed with law. It doesn't seem like you were passionate about it in the first place. You were only in it for the money and brand value and name (which is not wrong, but obviously you're not particularly passionate about the practice of law- just the incidental benefits arising from it). I don't earn lakhs of rupees, do not have the big brands but I'm so happy with my choice and don't regret it at all. The law fascinates me, it makes me feel intellectually stimulated, it makes me feel a sense of purpose. I would not have had it any other way.
A 20-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
Here's my view. In India, law is a good subject to study but not a good subject to make a career in. In other words, it's interesting and exciting to study the broad range of subjects that a 5 year law school offers. It's also good to graduate with a "law grad" tag. However, after your LLB it's much better to do an MBA rather than join a law firm or lawyer's chamber. Or try for the UPSC. So my advice would be:

- please do study law, you will love it

- please don't make a career out of law, you will probably hate it
Bhai apna inferiority complex aur frustation kyu nikal rahe ho as a blanket statement? Logo ka naam sunna important nhi hota college ka, khudka enjoyment and satifaction important hota hai. I too am a corporate lawyer didn't even go to a NLU. Pretty happy with my life at a tier 2, earnig significantly less than T1 people.
All of your points are about how others perceive you.

If you join a profession because of what others think, then go to an IIT.