Read 29 comments as:
Filter By
Syllabus below. Almost all the topics are taught in NLUs, as part of the socio course or electives like Gender and Law. NALSAR has been the pioneer in this, thanks to Amita Dhanda. So it makes perfect sense for NLUs to offer the same course at probably 1/4 the fee. It can also be a parallel fee income stream for NLUs.

Are any NLUs thinking about such a course, especially NLSIU and NALSAR?

BJP should close down JGLS. Only people from big families go there. There are no children from rural parts of Bihar, UP, MP, Chhatisgarh, Odisha and Jharkhand in JGLS. Shame.
As a JGLS Alumnus from the State of MP, let me tell you that I have had plenty of batchmates and juniors who were from rural parts of Madhya Pradesh AND were able to study at JGLS at 50% or 100% scholarships. Could any of your NLUs (aside from NLSIU and NALSAR) manage to do that for rural students?

VCLP, NLSIU's LSPR and other forums have reported plethora of times that NLUs are not affordable for the average Indian chap, whether from urban India or rural. Students at JGLS have a chance of securing a partial or full scholarship, at least tution waivers even if the new batches end up paying infrastructure fees.
I don't see the point of this course. What employment prospects does it have? Zero in my view. The only possible recruiters are NGOs, but they would rather hire a proper BALLB grad with gender electives (since lawyers can do various additional tasks gender studies grads cannot) or a liberal arts grad from Ashoka (as such a course would cover additional courses like economics, history, basic science etc and impart wider knowledge). The only pathway I see for graduates is academics. For example, if I want to do an MA in gender studies abroad and then a PhD. But even then, why not a liberal arts degree from Ashoka and then an MA/PhD in gender studies?
While you are at it, woy don't you put your name as JGU VC Raj or JGU PR team?
In my view this course is worth it for the following reasons:

1. The fee listed in the brochure is Rs 3.5 lakhs pa tuition + Rs 2.76 lakhs pa hostel fee. So Rs 6.26 lakhs over 3 years, plus money for food, travel etc, so I guess around Rs 7 to 8 lakhs for 3 years. This is a lot cheaper than the BALLB course.

https://d2975dej41kw79.cloudfront.net/jgls/wp-content/uploads/20211210063150/Gender-studies-Brochure-20221.pdf

2. The course will be easier to pass than hard law courses like tax law, company law, family law, criminal law, contract law, labour law etc. One can just write woke stuff in the answer paper.

3. Following point 2, with much less effort than a BALLB grad one can get a BA from JGLS and get a good score. This can help secure an offer to a good college abroad, possibly with scholarship. Alternatively, because of the ease of the course one can have spare time to prepare for UPSC or GMAT or NLSIU LLB entrance on the side. This a huge advantage not available to economics or engineering or BALLB students with the same ambition. There are very good reasons why a smart kid whose ultimate ambition is IAS or IIM or NLSIU (for the 3 year LLB) may want to pick this course.
All of your reasons are about what people can do despite this course. Why should anyone take up this course at all to do any of that?
Ek mahina kaafi tha na pride ka, abb ek degree bhi? itta bhi woke nhi hona tha
Kalpana Kannabiran pioneered gender and the law at NALSAR and others built on her work. NLSIU had Sarasu Thomas and VS Elizabeth and alumni teaching not only gender but queer theory.
Exactly. Other NLUs have done this too. KK was amazing! There are similar electives offered at NLUD, NUJS etc. too.
Such pointless programmes are the reason for unemployment in this country and why the proponents of communism and liberalism have to get their PhDs in African Studies and for thesis on how Savita Bhabhi comics have reformed Gujju Aunties' minds..
Why is your reasoning in the query "JGLS had started therefore will NLUs?" NLUs don't really make decisions based on what Jindal is doing. No one cares what Jindal is doing.
Might as well rename the OP as JGLS PR team or VC Raj!

NLUs cannot offer a stand alone BA degree. They can only offer a law degree and BA can be integrated into it.