Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
I am bad with doing an ETA, primarily because I hardly get repetitive tasks. It's a new thing everytime, and I get my ETAs wildly incorrect. Sometimes I over-estimate, sometimes I under-estimate.

Is there any 101 on getting your ETAs correct, and the things one need to factor in while calculating ETAs?
1. Always give your ETA+50% more time. Negotiate upto 20% if there is pushback.

2. Once you are able to gauge the actual time required, stick to formula 1.

3. If you get free time, relax and enjoy life.

4. If you are still overselling, increase your ETA by a factor of 10% and follow 1.

5. Repeat to perfection.
When I was young I used to wrongly estimate my ETA too. In fact I still do it sometimes, but some decade odd worth of work has definitely made it easier for me track and understand what will take how much time.

Here is the trick - always under commit and over deliver. It is GREAT if you finish your work ahead of time (then chill the rest of the time), try and never be later.

Most importantly, know what type of work takes your longer.

For example - I love formatting, clean-ups, proofing, making tables etc. So I know I will do those quite soon.

I HATE doing full on mark-up and creating issues lists (I mean who doesn't) - so those I will always set aside more time for.
You all seem to have a hang of this. Any tips for me? (Will join a firm this summer)