Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
Just want to hear your thoughts on this.

Firms giving the option to its lawyers to work for 9 months and take a break without pay for 3 months, each year. Like a sabbatical/ rejuvenation break. The lawyer gets paid ΒΎth of the normal pay and the firm also saves ΒΌth, which can be used for hiring more people to to tide over the 3 months break for others. Teams can hire accordingly. This may also help generate more jobs in the market.

It doesn't need to happen in one go for everyone. It can be planned as an ongoing cycle with pre-decided periods in the year for each lawyer.

It need not be mandatory but can be voluntary. Lawyers who don't want the benefit can work 12 months and get paid accordingly.
Whoever needs the money can decide accordingly.

Happy to hear ideas or criticism for such a model.
It will not be a 3 month replacement. This person will also be on a permanent retainer. At all times, one or the other lawyer in the team will be on leave (planned rolling cycle). So extra hands will be required throughout the year and not just for 3 months. Don't see it as a replacement for a specific person but as an extra person hired by the firm (but no extra expenditure, assuming money saved per person for 3 months) to manage the work
It need not be a 3 months replacement. It will be rotating.

Basically, say a team hires 4 associates. Every quarter (3 months), 1 associate goes on leave. At any point of time, the team will have 3 working associates.
Can somebody from NDA confirm how it has been in terms of on ground implementation?
This is fabulous. The whole 1 month vacation per year is sooo arbitrary.
Absolutely. Nothing to add.

People wanna do more. People wanna develop their own brands. People wanna have multiple dimensions to their lives so that it feels lived richly and not just well-monetized.

Having the option for 3 months can be such a wonderful thing for all the people who have to do kill a DIY project, or a research paper, or a travel binge.
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3Px9Ol5nAJGwv483bNPdKp1gLIbHtggLVctMI-6rXnLKiHPHluWthQXk&s=10[/img]
Are the law firms trying to follow the merchant navy model wherein sailors work for 6 months for a shipping firm and take a sabbatical for the remainder of the year?
Do you see any particular issue with that, if law firms do that? As long as client is adequately serviced and firm's revenue is not affected, I don't see as to why a client or the firm will have a problem.
This is actually pretty interesting idea. Kind of how merchant navy works. People spend 6 months in the sea and 6 months at home.

Given how working at law firms takes a toll (perhaps more than the sea), this might be a pretty good idea to consider. Mandatory quarterly off for firms. Everyone comes back rejuvenated.

I genuinely won't mind taking a few lakhs less for this arrangement (we save enough to plan our months in advance). This will actually give me an opportunity to actually spend what I'm earning.
A0 here. This is my primary concern. Yes, money is good. But when am I going to spend that money? One of the PAs in my team took her "annual leave", where she went AWOL for a month. Can't it be regularised for As-SAs too?
In reality the total money savings at the end of the year is not even one's need or requirement. But with so much money, we end up creating aspirational consumerist choices in terms of status purchases, like a flat in that posh locality, or rare / exclusive badges on goods.

9 months savings is just more than enough to have 3 months of no salary and only expenses. Imagine so much happiness there can be.

It will only mean perhaps having 4 associates instead of 3, for the same budget. Everyone is happy.
Interesting, but here's why this may not be a good idea.

#1 Working for 9 months
Imagine your idea gets implemented. Here's the catch - you need to work 7 days a week, 15 hours a day on average. This means you voluntarily decide to give up all your personal time in lieu for the three months that you'll eventually get off. Which means you give up whatever little time you get for family celebrations, festivals and general downtime.

If the current model isn't sustainable, imagine yourself in the middle of April for instance, neck deep in work, with nothing to look forward to but days, weeks and months of the same workload with no respite in sight. Simply put, it's not sustainable and you'll be so burnt out at the end of 9 months, that you'll probably manage to do nothing for most of the next 3 months except recover.

Happy to be corrected if I've understood you incorrectly in any way.
Cheers

# Time off for 3 months
When do you slot these three months? Not everyone can take leave at the same time. So you stagger the leaves. Which begs the question - how do you decide when you get your three months off? And remember, this isn't three months out of a total of twelve months since you'll be compelled to consider the deal-heavy months when your partner requires all hands on deck. Who decides on who is eligible to get the lucrative three months (Oct-Nov-Dec) off?

#1/4th pay during 3 months.
In the absence of a socially-valid and/or legally mandated reason, why should any business consider paying you to do nothing for one entire quarter and also spend time, money and resources to onboard and train a temporary lawyer for three months? Also, imagine you're chilling in month 2 of your 3 month break and the firm decides they'll offer your temp replacement a 15% hike (which would still be lower than your annual pay) and permanently replace you. All the time you budgeted to chill is now spent in you shivering with anger at the capitalist overlords who run the firm,
On point 1 - why is it assumed that you will be working 24*7 for 9 months. Some good faith? Also, to reiterate, this is to be optional. So if somebody feels it's actually worse for them, they can go back to the normal 12 month routine.

On point 2 - Decide at the start of the year and approved by partner. Hiring accordingly so that "all hands on deck" kind of situation is handled. Or borrow resources from other teams for the all hand on deck period. For the 'lucrative period' of oct-dec, partner decides. I would honestly be happy to get 3 months at any point in the year. I personally don't see the point of how oct-dec is lucrative. That's possibly the most touristy season where every place is overcrowded.

On point 3 - see replies in 2.1 and 2.2 above on the same question. The second part of the point you make automatically gets addressed. Nobody will be a temporary hire. Everybody is a permanent retainer. So no insecurities about being 'replaced'. And honestly, even if this were a temporary 3 month hire, nobody who is good enough to work the job would ideally take up a gig for just 3 months. Unless they have other plans like LLM, MBA or civils - in that case they will themselves leave after a short period and the firms would be careful in hiring any such person. So I wouldn't be bothered about losing my job to anybody joining for 3 months. But again, this is hypothetical. Everybody is permanent retainer in the suggested model.
To add. Nobody gets paid during the 3 month leave, as per this model. It's unpaid leave. Read the OP again.
Quote:
Like a sabbatical/ rejuvenation break. The lawyer gets paid ΒΎth of the normal pay and the firm also saves ΒΌth, which can be used for hiring more people to to tide over the 3 months break for others.
What does this mean to you?