Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
Hey guys, I am currently in the 3rd year of my B.A.LL.B and preparing for Punjab Lower Judiciary, I just wanted to know how easy would it be for me to shift to law firms, in case the sarakari culture doesn't sit well with me? Also would my experience as a judge amount to anything or would I be starting afresh?
Your experience as a judge will be useless if you go into corporate law firms. But you can boast that you were are an Ex- Judge.

But after working in the state Judiciary, you would never ever want to go to a corporate firm.
"But after working in the state Judiciary, you would never ever want to go to a corporate firm." Can you please explain why one would be unwilling to go to a Corp firm after being in judiciary?

I'm in my fourth year and torn between law firm and lower judiciary, the end goal is to move into litigation and I don't have any financial responsibilities.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
It will be very difficult to acclimatise to the law firm work culture and working hours after the relatively laid-back lifestyle and inefficiency that you are probably going to experience while working in the lower judiciary.
No genuinely bright and ambitious person should be in the lower judicial services forever. Rather it should always be used as a stepping stone. Certainly, you can join the litigation department of a firm and add good value. But the ultimate goal is to be a Senior Advocate in your 40s and/or a HC judge in your late 40s or early 50s, so keep that in mind.
hi, do you think being a judge in lower judiciary in late 20s would bring me closer to this goal of being a SA?
Ye life enlighten krne wale log bas aise hi idhr udhar legal forums nmein bhatakte hain? Sir/ma'am, apne gyan ko kewl yahan tak simit na rkhe, kripya krke pure sensation ko awagat kraein
My advice:

1. Join judicial service.
2. Get married. If you do not have a girlfriend, you will get good offers from Shaadi.com.
3. Quit after 3 years and start your own practice in the High Court and a few tribunals. You can even do an LLM from abroad before you start your practice.
4. Once you hit 40, if the chance of promotion as a Senior Advocate or HC Judge seems slim in the future, consider politics as a side-business. You can easily get a post like Assistant Advocate General or Standing Counsel of some state. You can also get a Senior Advocate promotion through this route. So many examples of BJP/Congress lackeys getting promoted this way.
Have said this before, will say it again: Joining lower judicial service is completely irrelevant and unnecessary in this trajectory.
In a corporate firm ? I don't think so. Litigation firm ? Maybe. Give some thought to becoming an advocate after a few years of service though. Build some network and maybe one day we will hear about a person leaving lower judiciary for practice only to return to the fold by being elevated to a HC Judge.