Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Hello,
I study at a T1 NLU and am looking to litigate in Mumbai after graduation. Is there any value that an LLM would add (after 2-3 years of work ex)? I have been told that LLMs add nothing tangible but are a great learning experience. I have seen a lot of seniors in Mumbai do their masters abroad. Does that have a bearing on reputation/brand/likelihood of getting briefed? Or would one be better off spending that year in practice and adding to experience? Finances are not a major concern but I would not want to waste 60-70L on an LLM if there is no substantial benefit.
If you are first gen then stick to litigation, that llm fund might help you in surviving for initial years. Llm doesn't substantial value, roi is extremely poor.
However, if you are building upon your parents chamber then you can think about it.
1) Getting a full or almost full ride? There is no harm going.

2) However, spending 60-70 L on top of the oppurtunity cost is simply not worth it. LLM itself has no impact on litigation.
Everything else remaining the same, could someone comment on the same if one wishes to litigate in Bengaluru?
I am a 2021 graduate and a first generational lawyer practicing in Mumbai in Litigation. Frankly, an LLM is a great learning experience and can act as an added advantage if you feel like switching to in-house in the future. Based on my experience its better you try to practice in lower courts of Mumbai to understand the law and procedure. Maybe a year or two and then you can shift to HC. It is better to start practicing as an Advocate after your graduation.
Get an LL.M from a good mainland Europe college- cheap on pocket and good academic exposure. Yes, the LL.M MIGHT give you an academic polish and perhaps strengthen your logic which once again MIGHT help you; but honestly there is absolutely no substantial benefit of a foreign LL.M in litigation. My advise- get a LL.M from a good European college and buy an apartment with the money you save or the best thing would be to get a year of hardcore courtroom experience instead. Its my POV, feel free to disagree, all the best for your future.
A LLM or any other degree from a good and reputed foreign law school does not tangibly help you in private practice. However, the exposure and network you develop (depending upon your capabilities) would help you in growing your litigation practice eventually. The caveat to this is that it is an intangible help which not necessarily impacts always.
If you can afford it, go for it.
It's a good experience. It widens your horizons and in many circumstances helps you truly enjoy the study of law.
Many students even felt that they were nurtured and had a much better experience than at an Indian law school.
Students from 2nd and 3rd tier colleges who might feel like they need a bump in legitimacy can do it too.
Is it essential for a great career in anything? No.
Might it help? Not specifically.
But if people have the funds and have the inclination don't listen to people on here. Just do it.
Does an LLM make any difference in terms of likelihood of getting briefed in the future? Or in terms of which chambers one could join after working at a firm for 2-3 years? Would love to hear from litigators, especially if you practice in Mumbai