Read 89 comments as:
Filter By
As CLAT 2022 approaches, a lot of aspirants have been asking me to formulate a list of law schools and rank them. I am the admin of a major law meme page on facebook and ig. Since these are very complicated rankings and while some students may not agree to me, these are my opinions based on consultation of students from respective law schools and I shall rate them on different factors. I am publishing it here, so others in the field can openly criticise the list and suggest any changes which would be available for the aspirants. If I published it on my story, it would have been impossible to see criticism/comments on the same.

In front of some factors you will find (+) and (-) which indicates that the university is improving or deteriorating (respectively) in the certain factor. This is based on current trends and future analysis.

1) NLSIU (Bangalore)- 1) Infrastructure- 4/10 (+) 2) Fee- 7/10 (-) 3) Placements- 9/10 4) Mess (food)- 4/10 5) Faculty- 8/10 (+) 6) Industry Repute- 10/10 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 7/10 8) Alumni Support- 10/10 (+) 9) Research and Publications- 9/10 (+) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 8/10 (-) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 6/10 (+) 12) Admin- 8/10 (+) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respective exams- 9/10 (-) [NOTE: As notified by students, NLSIU has plans to bring a major change to current infrastructure hence the (+) however the same is not official as of yet. NLS has scored 9/10 in placements behind NALSAR and NUJS not because of a change in employer preferences but because of a change in student preferences who are opting out of placements to pursue varied career path as notified by current students. NLS has been awarded a 9/10 on student quality based on the news of it launching its own entrance exam which might deter some students from participating (like AILET)]

2) NALSAR (Hyderabad) - 1) Infrastructure- 7/10 2) Fee- 8/10 (-) 3) Placements- 10/10 4) Mess (food)- 6/10 5) Faculty- 6/10 (+) 6) Industry Repute- 9/10 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 5/10 8) Alumni Support- 8/10 9) Research and Publications- 7/10 (-) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 8/10 (-) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 7/10 (+) 12) Admin- 7/10 (+) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respective exams- 10/10 (-). [NOTE: There were mixed reviews about Professor Faizan Mustafa and current administration hence the 7/10 and however there was immense optimism about the upcoming admin amongst the student body hence the (+). The new admin has not yet been decided though, however students expect it to be someone revolutionary like Prof Sudhir at NLS.]

3) NUJS (Kolkata) - 1) Infrastructure- 3/10 (+) 2) Fee- 9/10 (-) 3) Placements- 10/10 4) Mess (food)- 5/10 5) Faculty- 5/10 (-) 6) Industry Repute- 9/10 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 5/10 8) Alumni Support- 10/10 9) Research and Publications- 6/10 (-) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 8/10 (+) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 8/10 (+) 12) Admin- 5/10 (-) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respective exams- 10/10 (-)

[NOTE: The (+) on infrastructure is attributed to land gifted by WB government, which however seems like a stalled project. The current campus is also being renovated according to students.]

[Student Quality index for the top 3 has a (-) mark because of the constantly blurring divide amongst the ‘top 3’ and newer law schools like NLUD, JGLS, NLU Jodhpur and GNLU. The increasing domicile reservations have also been factored in. According to a survey on my page, aspirants have been increasingly factoring in locational preferences and proximity to home.]

4) NLU (Delhi)- 1) Infrastructure- 7/10 2) Fee- 8/10 3) Placements- 8/10 4) Mess (food)- 7/10 5) Faculty- 8/10 6) Industry Repute- 7/10 (+) 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 8/10 (+) 8) Alumni Support- 5/10 (+) 9) Research and Publications- 9/10 (+) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 8/10 (+) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 8/10 (+) 12) Admin- 9/10 (+) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respective exams- 9/10 (+)

5) JGLS (Sonipat) - 1) Infrastructure- 10/10 (+) 2) Fee- 4/10 3) Placements- 7/10 (+) 4) Mess (food)- 10/10 5) Faculty- 10/10 (-) 6) Industry Repute- 7/10 (+) 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 10/10 8) Alumni Support- 4/10 (+) 9) Research and Publications- 10/10 (+) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 7/10 (+) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 8/10 (+) 12) Admin- 9/10 (-) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respective exams- 7/10 (+) [NOTE: There were different opinions on the student quality of JGLS given the use of LSAT exam and if it can be equated with that of GNLU. The suggested score ranged from 5-8, what worked in favour of JGLS was lack of NRI, domicile and similar reservations, scholarships conferred to top scorers, the performance of current students in competitive factors like placements, moots, LLM scholarships and exams and the exponentially increasing competition in LSAT as each year passes. However, people contested that the ever increasing batch size might deteriorate student quality. It was complicated to rate JGLS on this one, you may take the score with a pinch of salt. The (-) sign for admin is attributed due to recent series of multiple protests against admin reported by students. While the industry repute of JGLS in India might not be equal to NLUD, (7) has been awarded owing to their rank in QS and performance by other schools in JGU]

(6) NLU (Jodhpur)- 1) Infrastructure- 7/10 2) Fee- 8/10 3) Placements- 8/10 4) Mess (food)- 6/10 5) Faculty- 5/10 (+) 6) Industry Repute- 7/10 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 5/10 (+) 8) Alumni Support- 7/10 (+) 9) Research and Publications- 7/10 (+) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 7/10 (+) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 8/10 (+) 12) Admin- 8/10 (+) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respective exams- 8/10 (+)

7) GNLU (Gandhinagar)- 1) Infrastructure- 9/10 2) Fee- 9/10 3) Placements- 7/10 (+) 4) Mess (food)- 6/10 5) Faculty- 6/10 6) Industry Repute- 6/10 (+) 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 5/10 8) Alumni Support- 8/10 (+) 9) Research and Publications- 7/10 (+) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 7/10 (+) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 7/10 (+) 12) Admin- 9/10 (+) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respected exams- 7/10 (+)

8) NLIU (Bhopal)- 1) Infrastructure- 6/10 2) Fee- 7/10 3) Placements- 7/10 (-) 4) Mess (food)- 5/10 5) Faculty- 5/10 6) Industry Repute- 9/10 (-) 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 5/10 8) Alumni Support- 7/10 (+) 9) Research and Publications- 7/10 (-) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 7/10 (-) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 7/10 (+) 12) Admin- 4/10 (-) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respected exams- 7/10 (-)

9) Symbiosis (Pune)- 1) Infrastructure- 7/10 (+) 2) Fee- 4/10 (-) 3) Placements- 7/10 (-) 4) Mess (food)- 7/10 5) Faculty- 7/10 6) Industry Repute- 8/10 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 7/10 (+) 8) Alumni Support- 5/10 (-) 9) Research and Publications- 7/10 (+) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 8/10 (+) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 8/10 (+) 12) Admin- 8/10 (+) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respected exams- 6/10 (+)

10) GLC (Mumbai)- 1) Infrastructure- 3/10 2) Fee- 10/10 3) Placements- 7/10 4) Mess (food)- 3/10 5) Faculty- 3/10 6) Industry Repute- 9/10 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 3/10 8) Alumni Support- 9/10 9) Research and Publications- 4/10 (-) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 4/10 (-) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 10/10 (+) 12) Admin- 2/10 (-) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respected exams- 8/10 (-)

11) RGNUL (Patiala)- 1) Infrastructure- 8/10 2) Fee- 8/10 3) Placements- 6/10 (+) 4) Mess (food)- 6/10 (-) 5) Faculty- 5/10 6) Industry Repute- 6/10 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 5/10 (+) 8) Alumni Support- 6/10 (+) 9) Research and Publications- 8/10 (+) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 7/10 (+) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 8/10 (+) 12) Admin- 8/10 (+) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respected exams- 6/10 (+)

12) NLUO (Bhubaneshwar)- 1) Infrastructure- 7/10 2) Fee- 8/10 3) Placements- 6/10 (+) 4) Mess (food)- 6/10 5) Faculty- 6/10 (+) 6) Industry Repute- 6/10 (+) 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 5/10 8) Alumni Support- 6/10 (+) 9) Research and Publications- 7/10 (+) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 8/10 (+) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 8/10 (+) 12) Admin- 7/10 (-) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respected exams- 6/10 (+)

12) RMLNLU (Lucknow)- 1) Infrastructure- 5/10 (-) 2) Fee- 9/10 3) Placements- 5/10 (+) 4) Mess (food)- 5/10 (-) 5) Faculty- 5/10 (-) 6) Industry Repute- 7/10 (-) 7) Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary support- 5/10 8) Alumni Support- 5/10 (-) 9) Research and Publications- 6/10 (+) 10) Moot Courts and similar competitions- 6/10 (+) 11) PCS (J)/UPSC etc- 9/10 (+) 12) Admin- 4/10 (-) 13) Student Quality based on rankings in respected exams- 4/10 (-)

[NOTE: JGLS and SLS might rank much below for some students when affordability is factored in. Affordability as a stand-alone factor can bring down your rank no matter how good the university is, at other factors. However, while affordability has been factored in to a certain extent, they rank higher in my list because the fees at NLUs is exorbitant considering the fact that they are public institutions with an onus to provide subsidised education. Furthermore, in my informal discussions with students from the ‘top 3’, I was made aware of financial privilege of the demographic at these law schools wherein it was confessed that “a majority of students are in a position to afford private universities”. This was not a formal survey, but a mere observation and you may take this with a pinch of salt. When the general demographic at top law schools is primarily privileged, I could not rank the private institutions as low as they should’ve been when affordability is factored in.]

[Note: The scores are comparative in nature. A 10/10 score does not mean that it is the best that could be scored in all circumstances but it merely means that it is comparatively and contemporarily the best in class]

[Note: While NLIU Bhopal has fared poorly compared to the standards set by itself, it holds a huge alumni base and a terrific reputation amongst seniors in the industry. A few systematic changes and it would not be difficult for them to be in top 5 again]

List of fastest growing universities:-

1) NMIMS KPMSOL (Mumbai)
2) JGLS (Sonipat)
3) GNLU (Gandhinagar)
4) NLUD (Delhi)
5) RGNUL (Patiala)
6) NUALS (Kochi)
7) HNLU (Raipur)
8) TNNLS (Tiruchirapalli)
9) DSNLU (Vishakhapatnam)
10) NLUJAA (Guwahati)
11) Christ (Bangalore)
12) NLS (Bangalore)
13) UPES (Dehradun)

List of universities declining when compared to their past performance/hype:-

1) NLIU (Bhopal)
2) GLC (Mumbai)
3) MNLU (Mumbai)
4) HPNLU (Shimla)
5) DNLU (Jabalpur) [covid induced slowdown]
6) BNLU (Sonipat) [covid induced slowdown]
7) Nirma (Ahmedabad)
8) JMI
9) BHU

I know the rankings might seem a bit harsh to some people, it’s impossible to keep everyone content and everyone wants their university to be ranked higher, but I’ve tried to minimise the ‘bias’ factor by holding a poll on a whatsapp group which consists of students from most of the universities mentioned above. I will share the link to this conversation with CLAT aspirants, I request the readers to correct me wherever they think I am wrong.
Apart from that JGLS anomaly. This is a fairly decent list for future LLBs. At least the top 8 (except jgls).
You are correct in your assessment of financial privilege in NLUs, and it is well-founded. I'd like to recommend an IDIA diversity report to you:-

https://www.idialaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/diversity-survey-2018-19.pdf#page26

Please see page 30 for more information. More than half of the group earns more than ten lakh rupees annually, with 33 percent, or one-third of the group, earning more than fifteen lakh rupees annually. This is also accompanied with a warning.:-

Quote:
these income levels have not been independently verified and run the risk of under-reporting by students keen on applying for scholarships, fee waivers etc. It bears noting that a large number of students (about 87%) indicated that they relied on financial support from their parents to pay the required fees. This clearly suggests that most such parents are in the high(er) income brackets. Consequently, there is a strong likelihood of a number of students falsely reporting low parental incomes.
Moreover, this was a pan-india survey of all NLUs, the situation at the hand is much worse at the top 5 NLUs. They are not inclusive at all.
I like how JGLS spends to advertise themselves on LI through paid posts (assuming you got paid for this).
This guy actually puts jgls above NLUJ and GNLU. Wow.
This alone shatters the credibility of the article into pieces. (There are a lot of other things as well, like you have scored some colleges with less fee lower)
The author clearly has no clue about student quality, placements, and brand reputation.
I hope no one takes this information to take their decisions (otherwise they'll end up rejecting NLUJ and GNLU for JGLS).

But I'm still amazed how people get away after spreading false information and paid advertisement from these universities.

The obvious and actual ranking for Law Schools in india is as follows -
NLS
NALSAR
NUJS
NLUD
NLUJ
GNLU
NLIU
JGLS
RMLNLU
NLUO
RGNUL
CNLU

All the best everyone!
This is a perfect list as far as top 6 is concerned. My advise to young guns...you career outcomes will be more or less the same in the top 6 provided you put in extra efforts. I got away with a little less hard work because I was from NLS but my schoolmate from a lesser rank law school and me started from the same firm. So yeah same career outcome.
Thank you for the ad hominem, it's really appreciated.

I am a graduate of GNLU, and I would have wanted to get compensated for my efforts. However, despite my persistent nagging, no one from JGLS responds to my pathetic meme page.

In terms of what you mentioned, your reasoning for this outburst was "This guy actually puts jgls above NLUJ and GNLU." Wow.” As much as I'd want to include contrary opinions in my rating, you haven't provided any evidence to back up your assertion, instead calling it bizarre. Despite your clear prejudice against the school, the way you describe it and term this an advertising, it appears like my rating of JGLS is so bizarre that I have rated a #15 ranked university on #5, while you rank it at #8 just after NLUJ, GNLU, and NLIU. NLUJ, GNLU, and JGLS are all very similarly positioned institutions, and they may easily swap places depending on personal preferences and subjectivity, much like NALSAR, NUJS, and NLUD are in my rankings.

Since you haven't explained why my ranks seem so "bizarre," I'm guessing it's because of the affordability and industry renown considerations. Now, if you had really read what I wrote before going off, you would've seen two tips that I stated there, considering the work it took for me to write this 2000 word monstrosity for which I wasn't fairly compensated, screw my life. 1) If affordability were taken into account, Jindal and SLS would be far lower on the list. I've also explained why I didn't include affordability in my calculations. 2) I've also indicated that NLUJ is much more credible in the local market than JGLS, owing to the "NLU" tag and reputation it carries. Only since JGLS has succeeded to get itself listed in the QS global rankings, and maybe THE rankings, have I given them an identical score.

The goal of putting in this much work and providing ratings based on objective criteria was to eliminate subjectivity. In terms of infrastructure, mess services, faculty, Foreign LLM/ Extracurricular/ Interdisciplinary assistance (since they have developed dedicated offices for such), and research and publications, JGLS has outperformed NLUJ and GNLU. Please objectively refute if you think JGLS does not score higher on those factors. As a graduate of GNLU and a witness to one of the biggest student populations in law schools, I found that the placements at GNLU and JGLS were comparable (proportionately). JGLS has also done a far better job of placing its LLM students. As is the case, NLUJ has outperformed Jindal in terms of placements which has also been reflected in my rankings.

I am open to constructive debates and respectfully request that you refrain from using ad hominem attacks. Because you made so many "assumptions" in your reply, I feel I have earned the right to make one of my own. I'm assuming your institution has received a much lower ranking than you expected, and you adore your university, which has irritated you. The problem is most likely compounded by the fact that I rated the newest law school on the list above your university, which is a strange idea, and I admit it. When you engage in the kind of argumentation like you just did, particularly when I've presented objective variables for you to criticize, you're just reflecting on the education imparted by the institution that fanatically support and thus providing more credibility to my rankings in the process. This isn't going to assist your case. If you want to be taken seriously, speak like a human being.
JGLS LLM programme is definitely superior to all the other NLUs. No argument there. The NLUs treat their LLM programmes as a second rate thing anyway.
Hi, I thought its obvious, but, the basic fallacy that you have is in thinking that all these factors have equal weightage. Please re-think
we probably don’t get to talk about ‘student quality’ when more than 50% of our own come via state sponsored reservations
JGLS should not get 10/10 in faculty simply because of the logistical issue that their star faculty don't get to teach most of the students because of the huge batch size. Bulk of the teaching load instead is borne by freshers with LLMs, some of whom are decent, but equal or more are average or below average in quality, and most lack any kind of teaching experience.
Definitely, while having star faculty is great for reputation of a university, that has only been factored in to a minimal extent.

I found the second statement that you made to be untrue during my preliminary research. I was told that for most subjects in JGLS, students have more than one professor which includes one senior professor and one or two junior professors (the freshers with LLMs). The students of the university told me that it is extremely rare that a new professor is solely attributed the responsibility to take up an entire core or elective course. They are usually hired to assist senior professors but have a minimal role in teaching of the subject. They contribute towards doubt clearance, marking and formulation of assessments. Moreover, JGLS uses them extensively to raise their “research and publication” quotient which helps them with rankings and funding.

I was told the structure for each subject is as follows:-

1 Senior Professor
1 or 2 Junior Professors
1 TRIP fellow
2 Teaching Assistants

One more reason why they’ve scored 10 is because of the LEAD and CLAIM electives they have been offering which basically partners at Tier 1 law firms and Celebrity lawyers at Supreme court taking up an elective. (https://www.sify.com/news/jindal-global-law-school-launches-lead-claim-programmes-news-national-vjrhOtbcdfice.html)

But your comment should 100% stay as a note of caution for the readers. I found that faculty-student ratio is definitely inflated with the recruitment of inexperienced fresh graduates and might be deceptive. While comparatively JGLS does much better in terms of faculty than any other law school, I have placed a (-) to indicate the gradually declining quality of faculty owing to large batch sizes.
The LEAD and CLAIM initiatives are nothing novel. They have equivalent programmes in most top tier law schools by way of credit courses throughout the year. NLSIU, NALSAR, NLUD, NUJS all have at least 10-15 such courses offered every year. Think of it this way, do you really think a tier one firm partner or senior lawyer has the necessary time to put in 40 plus hours for a full fledged course in one semester? Those start like that, but other junior people then chip in to rationalise workload. In addition, your input about all the regular courses having that breakup is grossly inaccurate. Sure enough on pen and paper a faculty may be associated with a course, but when you see the same name cropping up across 4 different courses in the same semester, it becomes clear that the name is being used as a prop. There are not enough senior professors to cater to a batch of 800 plus students including all their streams, including the 3 year LLB. What I'm saying is that no doubt JGLS has got some very good faculty as well as some average ones, but they use optics to paint a far rosier picture in terms of teaching excellence than it really is. I know several faculty and students working there, and have even offered a course twice myself. I've been very well treated throughout that period by the administration though, in a highly professional manner that's absent in most NLUs. That's definitely a point in their favour.
Sweet summer children of NLU D incoming with NIRF ranking as evidence... To future clat aspirants that NIRF law school ranking is the most inept and incongruous list ever..the same has been established at multiple legally india threads..don't fall for it. Keep NLS NALSAR at top two of your dream list. No college comes even close at the sheer brand value, alumni network, placements (which is what most of you will be looking for) and prestige factor. Let no NIRF ranking fool you here. In fact the very reason NLU D doesn't want to be a part of CLAT is that it will be overshadowed by the old giants and so wants to maintain a separate identity. Between NUJS and NLU D (both are great) take a gamble per your placement versus location matrix. Keep in mind NUJS is still a part of the trinity and Delhi has a certain geographical advantage. NLU J and GNLU are also good. Career outcomes might be similar in all of these 6 schools if you work smart. This is an indicative list and all of them are brilliant choices, it should ultimately boil down to your personal choice and research.
The biggest drawback of any pan-law school ranking is that you couldn't possibly have had access to all the objective data essential to evaluate all of these metrics for each of these places. Merely holding social media polls or getting anecdotal info from one or more students is not sufficient for that.
As an aside, what does the foreign LLM support metric gauge exactly?
Definitely second you on that. I experienced the difficulty especially for factors like placements which are primarily confidential and could be based on factors like batch size. It was complicated to introduce objectivity on that front, among others. The motive was to formulate rankings better than collegedunia, not to obtain absolute accuracy which is more or less impossible imo

Foreign LLM/Extracurricular/Interdisciplinary metric reflects on the initiatives taken by administration to support students in non-conventional career streams. To provide a clarification to everyone, this certainly does not reflect on the number of students who go for LLMs, if that had been the case, I would have scored NUJS and NALSAR much higher.

During the course of little research that I conducted, I observed that there was an additional effort in law schools like NLS, NLUD and JGLS by establishment of a dedicated office, committee or society to aid and support students with non-conventional professions or LLMs which had to be appreciated. I have also factored in the performance of entrepreneurship societies and achievements in sports. Now that I have said that, I would like to state that NALSAR might’ve scored higher due to the startup incubator at place. However, owing to COVID the work has stopped and hence it has not been factored in.
NLUD is always choice of more students in compared to nalsar in the last 3 yrs . Nujs is not comparable is far as students choice with nlud is concerned inspite of all the beating through different post .
Ask NLUD to join CLAT and put an end to all the speculation once and for all. Not sufficient number of students score high enough in both the exams currently to come to any sound conclusion about it. In addition, just the Delhi weather these days is enough to make one think twice to live there for 5 years if comparable options are available.
Even though what you said is 100% true, the older NLU folks who self-proclaim themselves as the top 3 and usually frequent this website can't digest the fact that NLUD is better, so expect to be downvoted. Hell, there is a chap who was at NUJS for a year and took the AILET again to get into NLUD. These days, no one except maybe some folks from WB would choose NUJS over NLUD. Although there may be a fair dilemma between NALSAR and NLUD.

Also, the CLAT "guru" who's put out these rankings is again misleading aspirants by claiming this was some big student-supported WhatsApp initiative.
First, JGLS is not anywhere close to the prestige of either NLIU or NLUJ or even GNLU regardless of its featuring in some world rankings. The academic exposure available there is largely constrained by its huge batch sizes and overall lack of student quality.

Second, he's given student quality at NALSAR and NUJS a 10/10 despite the fact that both have a state domicile quota which allows people with significantly lower ranks to enter. With that logic, you might as well give a 10/10 to all the CLAT colleges. NLS has a 9 since it has its own entrance exam but that's only for its 3 year LLB which isn't under the CLAT-fold. Also, JGLS has scored higher in that parameter than many other CLAT NLUs despite the fact that a majority of folks at JGLS take the CLAT and don't get into even any of these tier-2/3 NLUs.

Lastly, NLS is on a significant student expansion now (batch size is now 180 and will soon be 300) which is bound to affect the experience at the place despite people hyping it up as an undisputed numero uno. A smaller batch size between 80-120 is always preferable since these NLUs operate more like the mini liberal arts colleges in the US rather than as full-fledged universities. The NEP might make big claims about changing this but the reality in India is pretty different since most NLUs barely receive proper funding to properly expand while ensuring student and teacher quality.
In what catagory of student performance is NLUD 'better' than NUJS or NALSAR exactly? You don't even have some of your biggest advantages any more which was RS. Nor could you retain your star faculty like Mrinal, Aparna, Chinmayi etc. NLUD's placements are behind even NLUJ and GNLU. The 100% truth is only apparent to you, nobody in the industry recognises that. As for entrance exams, stop fleecing students and join CLAT, simple. Show your 'superiority'. Didn't one of your students finish their degree from NUJS and want to join the placement of the university too?
Let me highlight some facts for you. NLUD doesn’t have an NRI quota unlike NUJS. It doesn’t have a domicile quota yet though this may change anytime.

As far as absolute placement numbers are concerned, it is behind NALSAR and NUJS, yes, but check any of the previous LI placement updates and you’ll see it matches up proportionally to both NLUJ and GNLU despite the lesser alumni base. NLUD mooting, ADR and debating achievements match NUJS and are actually better than NALSAR in a number of areas.

As far as retention of star faculty is concerned, RS was bound to retire under the NLUD Act. Mrinal and Aparna left because of Sudhir and their NLS connection and not because NLUD was some terrible place to work. This was actually why there was a faculty exodus from NUJS post-2011 following the terrible VC and administration. Chinmayi left for her doctorate and hadn’t been actively teaching for atleast 5 years prior to that. That isn’t exactly an indictment on the quality of the university.

Lastly, that girl who studied at NLUD wasn’t a NLUD student. She was an NUJS student on a NRI quota who came to NLUD due to health or family reasons and wanted to stay in Delhi. The two law schools agreed for the transfer for exceptional reasons. She didn’t and wasn’t allowed to sit for NLUD’s placements since she was never a student. Her degree is from NUJS and not NLUD. Get your facts straight before arguing.

And honestly, it is beyond doubt at this point that if NLUD did join the CLAT, it would be in the top 3 preferences regardless.
So all that you managed to establish is that despite all the quotas, NUJS students aren't still behind NLUD in any metric. So, your claim of superiority is debunked right there.
No it does not. The students that come through the NRI quota are usually very privileged and will be able to get opportunities regardless of the college. This is exactly what happens at JGLS. That's not a sign of outperforming another college by the university brand name or reputation alone.
As far as domicile quota students go, NUJS only had their 30% quota implemented since 2020, so no domicile batch has actually graduated till date. Irrespective I doubt the domicile issue will affect placements too much since almost all NLUs have the quota.
Yes, NLUD, NALSAR and NUJS are definitely interchangeable wrt rankings. It was difficult to rank them at 2, 3 and 4 but any of them could take up any of those spots tbh
HNLU is better than RMLNLU. How can you list it as fastest growing, it is literally one of the oldest NLUs. You may say that it is declining on the contrary, but fastest growing? Seriously?
Absolutely not. NUALS and NLUO are much better than HNLU on any day. Would put RML, NUALS and NLUO on the same pedestal and make a choice on the basis on geographical proximity. HNLU has only been going downhill from the past few years.
Do you even know anything about these colleges? Have you even seen the placements HNLU is getting? You all are stuck at single digits while we're at double digits. Stop crying and accept your inferiority
"accept your inferiority" - atleast my University instilled me with humility and empathy. Looks like even after studying in the middle of nowhere you haven't succeeded in leaving your elitist and classist attitude. Speaks a lot about many things.
Studying in the middle of nowhere, still kicking your a$$es. What does it say about your University i.e. RML
Your comments say nothing favorable for your own university and the education that you have received, by the way.
Has Hnlu’s recent performance failed you? As far as the placement report and their linkedin updates concern, they are way ahead of the likes of RML, RGNUL and NLUO. This is an outsider’s perspective tho.
Any ranking which ranks NUJS above NLUD is a rubbish ranking. For 4 years in a row NIRF has confirmed that NLUD is the #2 law school. Please also compare the infra and faculty. It is also wrong to rank JGLS and Symbiosis so high. The proper ranking is:

1. NLSIU
2. NLUD
3. NALSAR
4. NUJS
5. GNLU
6. NLUJ
7. NLIU
8. JGLS
9.RGNUL
10. RMLNLU
Don't make the mistake of choosing RGNUL or RMLNLU over NLUO or NUALS.
Definitely not RGNUL at any point of time. Maybe take RMLNLU. But if you're from South India definitely choose NUALS or NLUO over the other two.
Quote:
The proper ranking is:
LOL
100% posted by an NLU D student/ alum

They're all over LI proclaiming superiority over everyone.
They'd downvote Yale Harvard Oxford if they could.
and you're a NUJS student who just cannot make peace with the fact that your university has nothing to offer and is going down the drain, and that you are on top just because of the year in which you were established. Probably your student crowd makes optimal use of whatever little is available but you know for a fact that deep down you wished you had joined NLS/NALSAR/NLUD. So cut the crap.
And we should trust some law meme page guy instead of NIRF??? LMAO.
You should trust NIRF only if you consume from government ration stores exclusively over private grocery stores and supermarkets despite having the money to afford the latter. It is a completely useless metric.
I will give you the exact ranking

1. NLS
2. NALSAR
3. NUJS
4. NLUD

(NLUD below due to the low alumni base)

5. NLIU/ NLUJ/ GNLU (holistically doesn't matter much considering the various factors (placements/ alumni/...)
8. HNLU (they have placements which the lower ones doesn't)
9. NLUO/ RML/ RGNUL (same reason as for point 5, if you choose any for any one bias like RML for better infra/less fee and city exposure, it wont hurt you not choosing NLUO. All three of them have different reasons for their preferences, lest all on same pedestal)

12. NUSRL/ NUALS (A Big no to MNLU, they have nothing, no moots/ no debates/ only a mediation competition/ nothing like placements/ no campus/ no benefit of city exposure/ no alumni/ an unreserved candidate getting AIR 500 deservers much better than MNLU for that rank. TBH I haven't seen MNLU folks performing/ shining/ making mark in any competition compared to its presumptive hype).

14. DSNLU

After it NLUs make no sense.
Please don't place NUALS alongside NUSRL. Haven't heard NUSRL doing anything and NUALS is wayyyy ahead of the quality that NUSRL produces. A valid comparison and competition is NLUO which is doing just as well as NUALS. RML and RGNUL were good competition but have reduced drastically. They got that place because they were founded a couple of years before. NLUO and NUALS have definitely moved up.
Clarification: While I have stated my reasons to not include affordability as a criteria which can change the ranking significantly for some students. I should have included Return of Investment (RoI) as a criteria. I am including the RoI scores here:- NLS, NALSAR, NUJS, NLUD, NLUJ, GNLU, NLIU- 8/10 (not 10/10 because the RoI at public institutions in other fields like engineering is much better, but you could take it as a 10/10 when compared to other law schools) JGLS- 4/10, SLS- 5/10, GLC- 9/10, RGNUL, NLUO, RMLNLU- 7/10.
NUALS, Kochi has the best hostel and mess food among any NLU. It legit WON Stetson a couple of years. We have a Rhodes scholar, Mary Kavita and a Rhodes finalist this year. NUALS graduates are partners at Trilegal, JSA etc. Most of Argus Partners is filled with NUALS graduates.
It has a decent placement committee and a more than decent PPO rate. So many people go for foreign LLMs every year and everyone is doing well for themselves. Kerala offers the best education in the country and NUALS is a reflection of the same. Our admin is a little crazy (as any admin) but NUALS is the best place to study and excel.
Don't know about the other things mentioned here about NUALS, but people studying there on an average seem to have a better appreciation of litigation skills compared to the other NLUs, based on my experience of interns and colleagues.
Wtf is NMIMS KPMSOL and why is it placed above GNLU, NLUD, NUALS and HNLU?
The moment you put JGLS on 5th and Symbi Pune on 9th, your ranking has lost all credibility.

This is the only list you need to follow if you are a "serious" CLAT aspirant. More or less everyone in the legal fraternity agrees with these rankings, except paid private college PR teams like the OP.

Tier-1 NLUs
NLSIU (the undisputed king)
NALSAR/ NLUD ( NALSAR has a better alumni base and placements. NLUD has a better locational advantage)
NUJS (maximum number of corporate placements)
NLUJ/GNLU (I would prefer NLUJ but you can choose according to location)
NLIU (The only college in this category that is barely hanging on, I would place it between Tier-1 and Tier-2)

Tier-2 NLUs
HNLU (Doing really good wrt administration, placements and alumni base. Easily the king of the category)
NLUO (Mooting was its selling point once, not anymore. Above-average placement season. Horrible infra)
NUALS (Smart crowd, better placements than RML/RG, has had a Rhodes Scholar. The faculty could be better)
RMLNLU (Cheapest NLU, good infra. However placements are average with single digits in good firms. Pathetic admin and UP crowd)
RGNUL (Just good infra. One or two Tier-1 placements, poor faculty. Nothing to offer.)

Tier-3 NLUs
MNLU-M (no infra, no placements, got caught with fudged placements stats this year. Go only if you have some fascination with Mumbai)
MNLU-N (Pretty new but 2021 Batch was good. Had the best placements among all Tier-3 NLUs)
NUSRL (Poor location, poor infra, poor admin. However some smart students do end up getting placements on their own)
CNLU/NLUJAA (Nothing worth mentioning. Go only if you are really desperate for the NLU tag)

After this, everything else is the same. The newer ones are not worth joining. Its better to join a decent private college like JGLS or Symbi Pune after Tier-2 colleges. Go to Tier-3 colleges only if you are confident in yourself and don't have the resources for private colleges.

Best of luck! May you make the right decision
So you suggest people to choose HNLU or NLUO over JGLS? Of course if fee is an issue, you can go to DU or GLC. But your response is full of bias.

I think the ranking done by Memaxx who started this thread is more or less perfect.
Everyone who got into HNLU or NLUO could also get into JGLS. Hell, even an AIR 10,000 CLAT ranker can get into JGLS. The barrier to entry at JGLS is so pathetic that they will even admit a class 6th student if they pay 10 lakh per year. Paise waalon ke Lloyd mein jaane see bahut kuch ukhaad nahi liya tumne.

Even if 30-40 students out of 800 get placed (3 years + 5 years LLB), it still remains a Tier-2 college. Stop acting like it is some ivy league law school, you and I both know the reality.
Why? The batch of 2021/22 had good placements. VCV and Uday Shankar are the best in business. What's not to agree?
Finally, someone who knows what they are taking about and are not a troll
Once more, this is the incorrect platform; this site is frequented by NLU students who believe they are 'superior'; yet continue to lose out to JGLS on employment, moots, competitive examinations, international LLMs, and other measures (somehow). Remember how the opposition's 'EVM' defence began proliferating when they were falling to the BJP? They are all on the verge of using the same argument. They'll begin claiming that statistics are exaggerated artificially. "Placement NLS se ho raha hai, lekin add JGLS ke stats me ho raha hai." Additionally, with all your bravado about clearing the CLAT and crying about privilege at JGLS (which it does reek of), do you know why it is called the 'Common Law Admission Test' and not the 'Common Law Aptitude Test', because maybe you lack the aptitude you believe you possess? You were artificially taught at coaching centres and would not have ranked higher than 10,000 without them. Consider the previous years' toppers: 2-3 years of training in filthy coaching centres, relocation to Jaipur, living in hostels, and obtaining phoney intermediate degrees from phoney colleges. Why are you being tested on your mathematical skills? And why are you being tested on the law prior to being admitted to a fucking law school? Are han, exam inaccessible bhi to banana hai. If it is transformed into a true aptitude test, it becomes available to all students; in that case, how will the multibillion-dollar coaching business survive? And what will happen to people with loads of money to attend coaching institutes? Unki ego kaun satisfy karega? Vo to peeche rah jaaenge. If you believe you are cognitively better just because you passed a trivial test, pour yourself a glass of urine and go drown in it. You are a robot, and your life is a fabrication. Take a look at the report that was issued in conjunction in this very own discussion (https://www.idialaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/diversity-survey-2018-19.pdf#page26). 85 percent of you paid for pricey coaching centres or online courses in order to pass a meaningless test. As I have said, your existence is a lie if you believe you are intellectually superior to everyone else. Sadguru buried your top ranker in a fucking debate, and you believe you're superior than everyone else. Each year, there are around 250-300 odd ‘tier-1’ jobs in law; what a pity that you lost 50 of them to an intellectually inferior private law school with no alumni in positions of influence.

And truly, man, I don't care where JGLS ranks, whether it's 5 or 10. Nobody attends LI discussions only to peruse the rankings in conversations filled with privileged law students who think they are better than everyone else on this planet and will still be underpaid and overworked for their entire life. You would not have used student quality as an indication if you were even slightly aware of how privileged we all are. Give a destitute’s child the requisite education right from his/her childhood, and s/he will grow up to intellectually bury all these ‘tier-1’ students. However, these NLU zealots made a grave error by endorsing and providing credibility to NIRF on this platform. You even had a 'live thread' with timers and shit hahahahahahah That's great; JGLS is participating in NIRF and we'll see how it does. I couldn't care less about rankings; all I want to see is how NIRF suddenly turns deceitful and deceptive. Some people will also say that the Ministry of Education has received payments for paid advertisements in favour of JGLS.
For someone who doesn't care about the discussion here, you sure tend to drone on and on about them! In addition, in which metric has NLU students 'lost out to JGLS students' yet exactly?
NIRF, QS are all deceptive. They don't verify any data and they can be 'hacked' without commensurate quality enhancement.
Lol
While substantive parameters are up to one's perception and individual judgments, the "exhaustive" ranking has inaccuracies even while rating objective parameters.
For instance, the OP has rated NLUD lower than NUJS when it comes to fees. NLUD's fees in a normal year is less than 2/3rds that of NUJS, and even lesser in the online semesters.
Dick measuring band karo, aur jaa kar legal methods padh lo bhai.
You really thought this would be a healthy exercise? Look at how everybody is trying to rank their university higher and hating on a certain universities. The toxicity is palpable. On a platform like this when you’ve ranked JGLS at 5 and NLUD at 4 you still manage to get 50+❤️, you’re fairly precise buddy put it on your Instagram story or whatever.
Bullshit rankings. Most would go for

1) NLUD or NLS
2) NLS or NLUD
3) NALSAR
4) NLUJ
5) NUJS or GNLU
6) NUJS or GNLU
7) Jindal
8) NLIU
9) HNLU
NLU D or NLS?? Seriously is no 16 trying to equate them? Next you will be like NLU D or Harvard! It is not even funny the amount of childish NLU D trolls who come here begging everyone to accept their superiority just because they got some rank in NIRF. NLU D is at best at par with NLU J or GNLU. And that is to say all three are equally good. But it is nowwhere close to NLS or NALSAR.
Nalsar is left behind as far as students choice is concerned. Nalsar is far way from city life and moreover nalsar and nujs have domicile reservation . So nluj is better choice over nujs for aspirants except aspirants from bengal .
Those domicile reservation students are more than adept at competing with the best of NLUJ in any field that you name. Your argument is like this: It is more difficult for a non-domiciled student to get into NUJS, so they should choose NLUJ instead, where getting in is easier. In the CLAT mode of counselling, that's a ridiculous suggestion to make. Please revisit your logical reasoning skills.
Left behind? How do you know that exactly? Ask NLUD to stop cheating students of the extra fees for AILET and join CLAT, and then we shall see. Random anecdotal evidence of X having left one NLU for another doesn't count.
I believe students quality at nlud is no way lesser than Harvard. Please don't think that they are superior . It is indian mentality to think them as above other races ,which is not proven. Moreover their entrance exam is for graduate students, so incomparable.
NLUD average student quality is certainly way below that in Harvard. I can vouch for that, having studied at both.
Considering it takes 5 years to graduate I find jgls aptly ranked what’s the fuss about?
From someone who goes out to recruit on a regular basis your rankings seem fine to me. Consider situating NLUJ above JGLS. JGLS is deemed to be top 3 in some years but currently it just isn’t. I would have poised it at 6 below NLUJ.
Agar mehnat aur imaandaari hai to NLS, NUJS, NLUJ etc. jaana, agar nahi aur papa ke paas Audi ho to, JGLS Jaana (walk in admissions milega)
Lol. Once every month this type of post crops up on LI and outraged trolls go ballistic measuring d***s of respective law schools. Here the OP even disclosed indirectly his intention to attract traffic to his own social media handle and free publicity and people are still falling for it. Jab tak is desh mein cinema hain etc.
LOL, I agree with you, but honestly nowadays this is one of the only worthwhile conversations on LI.
The most horrondous ranking I have seen. How do you rate JGLS above GNLU/NLUJ or even NLIU for that matter. JGLS barely places 40 people from their batch. Remind me when was the last time they had a Rhodes Scholar again?

The actual ranking:
1. NLS
2. NALSAR/NLUD
3. NUJS
4. NLUJ
5. GNLU
6. NLIU
7. HNLU
8. JGLS
9. RMNLU
10. Symbiosis Pune
11. NUALS/ NLUO
12. RGNLU
Nujs mess is better than Nalsar, that I know for sure. Can't comment on anything else
I mean let's be honest here. NLS, NALSAR, NUJS are at par with each other. It's not like you'll mess up your career if you go to NUJS instead of NALSAR or NLS. Frankly, there is no difference at all. Even NLUD falls in the same leagues all of these law schools are top notch when it comes to campus placements.
Top 3: NLS, NALSAR, NLUD
Next 5: NUJS, NLUJ, NLIU, GNLU, JGLS
Next 5: HNLU, RMLNLU, RGNUL, NUALS, NLUO
Next 10 or more: Symbiosis Pune, ILS Pune, MNLU Mumbai, GLC Mumbai, Nirma, Christ, MNLU Nagpur, CNLU Patna, NUSRL Ranchi, NLU Assam/ Shimla/ Vizag/ Trichy/ Aurangabad/ Jabalpur/ Sonipat, Symbiosis Noida, KIIT, etc.
What do these Jindal grads even do? Mind you I'm a pro-linkedin stalker and most of the accomplished achievers I see are from NLUs. Don't see many Jindal people. Do enlighten me if it's otherwise.
I definitely see more people from HNLU, NUALS, NLUO doing better things than Jindal people. Don't know what gives Jindal a higher position.
As a Law School guy, I am torn in ranking NUJS vs NLUD. The student culture at NUJS (from my time, recent graduate) has always been better. I would even rank it above NALSAR. But institutional support and systems, NLUD is well ahead. Now that is a real trade-off for aspirants. I would rank thusly:

1. Law School
2. NALSAR
3. NLUD (personally)/NUJS (at par)
5. NLUJ vs GNLU
7. NLIU vs Jiggles (like NUJS, NLIU has institutional legacy, while Jiggles has current momentum) - on the affordability point, someone leaving a Top of Tier 2 NLU will surely get scholarships at Jiggles I suppose (in my batch virtually everyone who had applied to Jiggles was offered 100% scholarship)

NLUs below this, I would refrain from saying much except maybe consider writing CLAT again or pick an old traditional GLC (DU/Bombay/Madras/Calcutta/ILS Pune) or an affordable/accessible private place like Symbi.
a super biased opinion given in the first comment: each law school has its own speciality Hons system. Cant compare on same benchmark
You people can crib all you want. NIRF is the official government ranking and cited all the time in the media and taken seriously by the public, law aspirants and parents.
1.NLS - Atleast for a few more years
2. NALSAR, NUJS
3. NLUD (Overhyped,)
Above this everyone can land in big law.
4. NLUJ, NLIU
5. GNLU (Twice the batch size compared to NLUJ and NLIU still places around 40-50 odd students but has supportive admin definitely on the rise),
__Above all are colleges where average people can land a tier 1 job
6. Jindal
7. HNLU, Symbi Pune
8. RML, RGNLU,
9. NLUO, NUALS
From above colleges only the cream would land any job, exceptional will land tier 1.
After this, good luck. Does not matter what college you're going to.
Fun Fact - All these people fighting here are students, in reality once you start working. It really doesn't matter much. Also if you're a batch rank under 5 in any of these colleges, any tier 1 law firm would be happy to take you in. (Especially CAM, they don't even take technical interviews) Good luck