Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
I've been wondering for a while that what is the purpose of our lives as lawyers and how we may mould it reap the true essence of life. Is all this money really worth it? Where is the peace of mind?
I'm really curious to know if I give you a clean slate after your law school, how would you carve your career if you aim to have an impactful life rather than a mundane one in the legal profession?
In the end it's all in vain, most certainly. I just want to know what the higher ups visualise of the romanticized idea of impactful life In legal profession.

Disclaimer: Yes I do have a lot of time to think about it and I enjoy different pov in the platform rather than the monotonous threads.
Call me shallow but this is what I’ve wanted after law school -

worli sea face 10,000 sq ft apartment
black maybach
Rolex
fly everywhere first class
Visit 50 countries in my bucket list and stay at palatial hotels

Law is interesting but not so much that I forget about everything and give it any more than I need to earn big bucks
so shallow. Just explore the satisfaction that comes from working for under privileged people.
To those who downvoted this comment - care to explain why exactly? Have you worked for the under privileged and was it not satisfactory? Just curious.
May I suggest (lower parel) for your sea facing 10,000 sq. ft. apartment? Global warming buddy.
I would suggest that you approach this in a different way- life is fundamentally pointless. Everyone is going to die anyways and what we do out of it is dependent upon our karma that is what actions we take and the choices we make.
These things such as impact, satisfaction are important as long as we give them that importance. You have the mental capacity to divert such importance if it doesn't fulfill your priorities. So live how you want, make the choices that you want (by trampling upon as less people around you as possible while making those self-fulfilling choices).
Happiness is also what you define it to be. But ensure that such a definition is yours and not just borrowed from society. You would prefer to enjoy your high paying job, but introspect and see if YOU want to enjoy it. Not because your family or relatives believe wealth is cool.
Think and introspect every single aspect of your life in this way. Cheers!
The actual query should be what's the purpose of your life, what all things do you deem worthy, how much money you need, what will you do if given the clean slate etc..

People are groomed differently have different aspirations & Outlook for example someone might like to settle in peaceful city with less pay in comparison to metro cities but some don't; someone might want more money at cost of everything, someone don't. Ultimately, its your decision & outcome will rest on your shoulders.

Start with yourself and don't give a flying fuck about what other people want.
Humans don't have wings; doesn't mean they can't make 'flying' their purpose. ;D

In other words, while there is no meaning to it all, that doesn't mean you can't create your own meaning. The good thing is that since there is no inherent meaning to any action, it's completely left to your own devices to act and be.

I follow what is necessary for survival, gives me greater peace or lesser trouble.
The 'end goal' of life is death. And that is true whether you're a pauper or a prime minister.

So don't stress too much over terms like 'goals' and 'purpose' and 'drive'- they sound fancy, give an elusive sense of meaning, promote consumerism but they don't really answer the questions you're looking for.

The only palatable reason you are here is to just experience life. Both the good and the bad. The ups and the downs. The rich life and the poor life. The happiness and the misery. To realise, that at the end of the day, all of these are mere experiences (live a movie that you've come to watch). And in this movie, we're all just playing different characters. While playing the rich guy in the movie may be more fun sometimes, your only 'purpose' is to act your part and enjoy it. There are no 'successful' characters in a movie. Only characters well-played and characters not so well-played. So, just bask in the stage, feel your character deeply and play your best. Don't stress too much over what role you got or how your character shall be perceived or what shall be the result of your acting.

That's what Shakespeare said. That's what the Gita says too.