Read 19 comments as:
Filter By
For NLSIU, the brand value is as good as IIM A/B/C and the salaries offered to freshers are very high. So there is no incentive to go for an IIM degree and upgrade your CV. Rather, NLSIU alumni who do an MBA try to go abroad, such as Naiyya Saggi (MBA Harvard) and Akansha Midha (MBA MIT).

For other NLUs, topping GMAT/CAT is difficult because of maths and competition from IIT grads. It is more realistic to aim for a lower-ranked IIM, ISB, SP Jain, MICA etc. There are people from NALSAR, NLUD, NUJS, NLUJ, GNLU etc who have been admitted to such institutes. There are also alumni from such NLUs who have been to B-schools abroad. I am not aware of anyone going to Harvard or MIT, but i have heard of a few who have got admission into London Business School, Oxford, INSEAD, NUS Singapore or even the MLB programme at Bucerius Law School. However, there is one case of a Jindal grad (the son of one of India's topmost corporate lawyers) getting an admit into Harvard Business School straight out of college.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on which NLU you go to), Harvard, MIT, Wharton etc are very conscious about brand and generally do not look beyond NLSIU and at most NLUD, NALSAR and Jindal. Even DU grads could stand an outside chance, because of the legacy brand value of DU. Beyond that you will have a tough time, but Oxbridge, London etc remain as options.
Why do you keep spewing misinformation here? One almost wonders if you are trying to troll NLSIU using reverse psychology! The graduate median salary of NLSIU isn't any different from that of NALSAR, NUJS etc. Nor is there any dearth of students from each of these places in the top IIMs in the country, although several from all three NLUs have indeed done their MBA from abroad. Please don't spew nonsense about MBA programmes in Wharton, Harvard etc that you know nothing about.
The amount of misinformation served as "gyaan" here is baffling. The brand value of NLS is nowhere close to Top 6 IIMs, let alone IIM ABC. The packages at NLS are nowhere close to IIMs either.
Take the average salaries of all these institutes and compare it to the law firm salaries that are offered in India.
As far as the comparison between NLS and othe colleges goes, there is minimal difference in student quality between all the Top NLUs. Barring the alumni base, you don't have anything to boast about in recent years that makes you stand apart from other top NLUs. NUJS beats you in placements, NLUD, NUJS and GNLU in government exams and scholarships while NALSAR in foreign placements. So maybe pipe down a bit.
Meanwhile, there is no evidence to even remotely suggest that Top B-schools outside India have even heard of NLSIU or any NLU for that matter. Most of the applicants sell themselves as "former transactional attorneys" and the like during the application stage so that they can correlate between reason for doing an MBA and past experiences.

The two people who you cherry picked to back up your claim have made it entirely on their own accord without anything to do with the reputation of NLS.

As far as NLU students going into Indian B-schools is concerned, some of them do make it but CAT itself becomes a big hurdle due to competing alongside people who are proficient in mathematics. So that point still holds good.
2.2 I agree with your answer. But beg to differ on averag salary of IIMs. Just take out IIM A placement audit report of 2018/2019/2020 available in public domain. Take 2021 report in mind. You will see the median salary off an IIM graduate is not startingly more than a top tier NLU graduate. The fixed component is 22 lakhs around. The minimum placement was just 9,00,000. Can you imagine an IIM A alum earning just 9 lakhs fixed salary?? Most of the insanely high placement figures that we hear are given by foreign recruiters. And it has been established multiple time on other threads here how pure conversion of dollars into rupees is a very wrong thing to do because of the concept of purchasing power parity. Someone earning 36,000 pounds in UK may be making a lot more than a fresher associate in India. But the lifestyle lived by the one in India will be considerably higher than the one in UK. And this is IIM A. If we talk about lower IIMs then the figures are even more dismal. So yeah a top tier NLU grad working in a top tier law firm is not VERY highly disadvantaged than an IIM grad. If you want to compare foreign placements then ask the salary of NLU lawyers who have made their mark in the foreign firms. Having said that law (by that I mean LLB if done from a top tier NLU) and management are different ball games and not comparable that easily and each will have their own advantage and disadvantage.
JGLS alumni regularly go to Cornell Johnson School of Management and other top universities for MBAs owing to tie-ups so I doubt that there was an attempt to sneak Jindal in the conversation, but if it was, it was a lame one.
Please tell me that you are a fresher.

One NUJS Alum from 2019 has made it to Wharton this year, one NLUD Alum has made it to GSB Stanford, and I am sure there are several such examples. MIT Sloan is not in the same league as Harvard/Stanford/Wharton btw..

There are NLS Alums who have done MBAs from IIMs (one from IIML btw), there are alums from NUJS/NALSAR and all other NLUs.

So no, nobody gives a flying fuck about NLS, all top NLUs are just the same.
It is getting difficult these days to draw the line between sarcasm and idiocy. If you believe whatever you said, then my condolences are with you.
As everything has called out your BS mostly, I will refrain from saying the same thing. I will point out a different BS that you tried to spew:
INSEAD, Bucerius, London Business School etc. consistently top MBA rankings - they are not in any way inferior to a Harvard or Wharton MBA (but can be the other way round)[1] (INSEAD ranks #1, LBS is #2, and Chicago Booth is #3). Wharton ranks #24 in Executive MBAs [2]. And yes, FT rankings are quite respected in the B-school community.
Another upset for you would be that ISB is consistently placed above IIM A/B/C in every possible world ranking.

Harvard and MIT are not good at everything: they also run of perceived grandeur. Those institutions are not Mount Olympus where Zeus resides (Zeus resides at Nagarbhavi btw). Depending on the subject matter, it is highly probable that a different institution is better, e.g. if you want to do tax or corporate law going to NYU is 50x better than Harvard. Now before someone says, no I am not saying Harvard is bad; I am saying Harvard is nowhere even close to the unchallenged ultimate institution to be in - it may not even be the appropriate one for your interests.

[1] https://rankings.ft.com/rankings/2859/global-mba-ranking-2021
[2] https://mba-rankings.ft.com/rankings/2848/executive-mba-ranking-2020
Michael Jordan thodi na hai ke log naam yaad rakhenge. Who cares about who went to what college?
Looks like you couldn't clear CLAT and are now frustrated in a pvt college
what a stupid post. why dont u ask about NLU alumni working for under privileged in NGO's. Those who are corp sell outs dont matter