Read 38 comments as:
Filter By
Just wondering how many law school placecoms (especially NLUs and Jindal) face such issues. Real-life examples from my law school:

1. Misusing placecom contacts for personal purposes.

2. Misusing placecom funds to eat and drink at nice restaurants.

3. A member emailing interview questions sent by a firm to his girlfriend (who is one of the applicants) 2 hours before emailing other applicants.

4. A member not seriously pursuing a recruiter with which his enemy in college wants to work, so that his enemy does not get the job.
disclaimer- This may just be a rumour and I sincerely hope it is, because if its not we are in serious trouble

RPC is the placecom.

RPC opened applications for a delhi based firm (relatively smaller firm, not the one we hear about on a daily basis). Firm selected its intern (wanted only 1). One RPC member who had applied did not get selected. The RPC member mailed the firm saying that they were much suited for tthe internship as against the student who had been selected. This was sent from the official RPC id. Firm then selected the RPC member. RPC member then almost a month later withdrew from the internship because they secured an internship with a tier 1 through their personal contacts. Ultimately nobody got to intern at the Delhi based firm.

disclaimer- This may just be a rumour and I sincerely hope it is, because if its not we are in serious trouble
Definitely a rumor. No NUJS member would try to attempt this, unless all the rpc members have conspired as RPC mail access is with every rpc member so every member knows what mail comes
Trust me, I hope it is.

But anyways, giving some students control over a process that affects all students is not very rational. I understand that NUJS faculty may not be the most smart, quick or eager, but we should get the better ones to have some oversight over the process.
The few better ones have become disillusioned with the students and their lackadaisical and entitled attitude long back, and withdrawn from active involvement in the admin process. We can't really get them back without getting our own act back together.
I have a feeling you are from b/o 24... Remeber reading this language on the batch groupπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
It's because I've heard from alum how they have been helped by some of the faculty and I've seen those very faculty having now stopped taking an active interest in student work, placements etc. I have been personally helped by them too when I had the courage to approach them on my own, but they won't volunteer their help anymore.
Yes most of the better ones are no longer involved in admin related work. This is why both the SJA and the RPC are filled with people with no prior experience. The students have brought this upon themselves. There's no appreciation for anyone who actually works.
Pls correct me if I got you wrong

So you are saying that because you signed up for a job voluntarily knowing fully well what it requires, the rest of the batch must forego opportunities for you.

Makes a stronger case for University oversight over the process.
You make me hate nujs even more. The institution is in such poor shape not because of this nujs mindset and no other reason.
Yes lot of shady stories like this in School of Law SLCU RCC before (interview shortlists if you knew the convenor , not on merit , RCC selects the students instead of firms etc) this resulted in the Head of Department overseeing the committee so no screw ups happen now lol
Easy to sit back and criticise. Why don't you join the committee and help? Sick of lazy and entitled people complaining. The committee members get no salary and no extra salary for working tirelessly for you ungrateful people.
If you don't want to help the "entitled people" then why on earth did you join the committee in the first place?
Genuine question: Pls just tell me, what was your motivation behind applying for RCC?
At Jindal, office of career services is not handles by students but rather officials which certainly mitigates a lot of the issues that you’re talking about however comes with its own set of issues. For example:-

1) A student run RCC has better connections with alumni and which kind of helps them with the entire placement process. This is certainly applicable to good in-house firms. For example, have a look at ITC which regularly recruits from NUJS but rarely from other universities. ITC is not a law firm and HRs barely know which law school is good and which is not so they kind of confer the job upon people in their legal department. RCC’s relations with their own alumni helps a lot in these cases.

2) Transparency issues are also there. It’s tough to know who’s coming, who’s getting placed and who’s not, the larger batch size only aggravates the problem. For example, last time around the law firms suddenly had this new criteria of publications to filter out candidates. Now this is something the OCS knew but we were not made aware of. I am pretty sure since your RCCs are students, everyone gets to know of tips and tricks via word of mouth.

3) It’s a complicated statement to define and justify but OCS seems to be working more for law firms rather than students. Obviously, the end product is beneficial for students but not for the unlucky ones.

For example, you can probably go and ask a student from your RCC what a law firm is expecting because they probably know. Now Khaitan and Trilegal are not expecting the same traits in a CV but those kinds of informal conversations are tough to have.

And then it’s not like the bias completely eradicates when you remove students from RCC/OCS. Students who have been constantly getting good internships or winning moots or securing excellence in academics are known by the RCC. This is not a complaint and is probably understandable because you can’t send each and every student to represent the law school for a new university like jindal which has to earn repute in the industry. Meritorious students are often deliberately pushed by OCS. It’s not like all CVs are sent to a firm for them to exercise discretion. A certain CVs are definitely pushed with more conviction. This is why I said, the OCS works for the recruiting firm and university, which might not necessarily contain the student bracket.

I understand the issues with your placecom, this is just to let you know that the other viable alternative also comes with its concerns.
1) Actually, NUJS alumni working at ITC mostly connect with the alumni teaching at the university to get references. The CRC students are way too junior to have any relation with the alumni working there in decision making positions.
2) No argument there.
3) Too ambitious to presume that CRC members are aware of what law firms want in student CVs, at least exclusively. However, pushing can and do work. Yet in my experience across 3 NLUs, the CRC members actually push borderline cases to help them, not people who already have got a good enough CV. Your point still holds about possible favouritism shown to some borderline cases over others, but human bias is going to creep in regardless of whether students do it or teachers or administrative personnel. Everyone has got their own favorites.
Wrt transparency issues

See if the OCS knows something and doesn't tell the students then everybody gets fucked. But if the student RCC knows some inside info like this, chances are only the very close friends of the members are gonna know, thus giving an unfair advantage to these students. While having students in the RCC does make the process a lot smoother but definitely raises some questions. You just can't have the entire show being run by interested parties without any oversight.
On the contrary, Jindal's policy of keeping students out if it is a good thing. The majority of my batchmates are too spoilt and pampered to work hard, there are rivalries and favouritism, and students lack basic skills like how to write emails to recruiters. Having professionals groom students and network with recruiters is much better. Also, they work in co-ordination with faculty, who are experienced NLU alumni.

As for your point about ITC recruiting from NUJS, ITC happens to be headquartered in Kolkata, as it is descended from an old British company. Similarly, new-age IT companies have favoured NLSIU and NALSAR.
Bhai/behen, that is the most 'first world problems' comment I have ever read.
A 38-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
IMO the most sensible policy is to put LLM aspirants, UPSC aspirants and nepo kids in recruitment committees. The first two don't need jobs and the third already has a job. So they are not a threat to anyone. In case of nepo kids their contacts may be helpful for others.
LLM aspirants means BALLB students planning to do LLMs abroad, not people currently doing LLMs at NLUs.
kaun bola LLM waalon ko job nahi chaiye? We dont have tummies to feed or what
Invariably, this happened at Law School RCCs. At least 2-3 of the members were not actively looking for jobs through the RCC. The politics can get so toxic that these people are often begged to join to keep some semblance of fairness and lack-of-bias alive.
What the duck is "Law School". Where the hell is your article? Otherwise, name it.
A 62-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 38-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 36-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.