Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
Bhai!!!!

If I could go back in time, I just want to go to that seminar where the guy who was giving seminar didn't give CLAT, had no fucking idea what's the after life after passing law school in corporate field and call him out! and not take up law!! Do any other thing but law!
kitne ghante kaam karta h bhai tu......kaise pareshaan h......mahine k laakhon mil rahe honge tujhe to
I have answered this before. Software Engineering is the cushiest job.

I have cousins working in FAANG. One recently got placed at Google and earns more than an A0. Also, guess what? He went to Manali on a trip with his family. Corp does not have that kind of luxury.

Pros:
No nepotism
No Toxicness
Work-life balance
Well paid

Cons:
Early retirement if you don't manage to climb the "ladder of management."

The only place where corp outstrips software engg. is no early retirement. Also, lawyers are not the only ones who hit the 1 Cr mark. Plenty of SDEs are there who hit that ceiling with fewer working hours.
It is. However, my biased crept in since I am a workaholic, and sitting idle after a certain age when I would be physically and mentally fit, haunts me.
People from noname colleges are making a killing. I know someone who had done some software course from some obscure ambala town. He started with 25k per month and after 15 years, he is earning 100K Euros in Europe, while I am smoking 10 cigarettes a day in Delhi without lighting a single cigarette.

Plus these days software companies are least bothered about your degrees or alma maters. Do their corporate specific certificate courses and you are in.
The point is that CLAT / NLU / Moot Courts / All that mental gymnastics is not required. Since developers have access to a global market, you could take it slow and still be on top with a good work life balance.
Nope.

In tech, the degree does not matter. The recruitment process is pretty simple in FAANG; Although, difficult. However, there are a lot of variables in corp law; Hence I would, in totality, consider it relatively easier - assuming that one has decent command over mathematics and logic.
There is less toxicity in software jobs. But payment wise at least for the first five years most of them lag behind top tier law firm lawyers. TCS still hires grads at 30k-40k. But yeah post five years and if you are able to enter FAANG type companies you have a decent pay scale at much lesser toxicity. Obviously some people from top tier engineering colleges can get a better package than 30k-40k. But on an average 90 percent of software engineers are NOT from IIT/NIT.

For the first 5-7 years law firms have the upper hand in terms of payment (also taking into account the HUGE tax savings that you get as a lawyer). Post that it becomes a bit equal depending on your skillset and company. But in terms of toxicity and work culture software engineer is a more cushy and more liberal job.
And your assumption being that 90% of lawyers work in T1 firms?

The comparision is either of the top 1% of engineering students vs top 1% of law students (some 300 students who get placed in T1 firms) OR

the 90% of engineering students who graduate with 30k salaries vs 90% of law students who work in chamber for less than half of that.

For both the cases above, engineering students still have it better.
At the very top, lawyers make more, I guess. Unless, the software engineer gets into a managerial role.

However, in the middle and at the bottom - software engineers are fairing well. As you stated, TCS for mass recruitment and FAANG or startups for the middle ones.
You are right the example here is valid only for T1 law firms and may be T2 law firms that rival T1s in pay scale. If you are comparing lawyers with a cushy and well paid job like software engineers, it HAS to be compared with T1. That is the closest analogy possible if you want to start a decent earning while still in your youth. So the question is should a well qualified and meritorious student take IIT/NIT/DCE and software engineer route or NLS/NALSAR/NLU and T1 law firm route.
Unfair comparison. The comparison should be whether to work in an NGO or a lawfirm for lawyers. Stop glorifying money.
Do not insult a software job. These folks operate the world and have international mobility. We are a mere speck of dust in front of them ! Work life balance, they have it ! Moolah, they have it ! Foreign trips, they have it