Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
A little background: No legal or political connections, Not from an NLU; Although, I am in a decent Delhi-based law school. My law school provides the liberty to intern after classes - it is definitely a massive advantage.

I truly want to be a litigator. However, that, too, is contingent upon the fact that I get at least a sustainable pay in the initial years. So, what should I do to be a good one? I have noticed that irrespective of where you are from, a β€œsherpa” is a must. How do I find mine? What should I do?

Can any litigator shed some light on this?
A 9-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
You gotta find what area of law you want to litigate in. If you want to litigate in IP/corporate/arbitration/commercial areas, then best to join a law firm and work for 8-10 years before going independent.

If you want to litigate right from day 1 - well, then satisfy yourself with cheque bouncing and matrimonial cases.
Law firm? Are you sure about that? I am a fresher but what exactly would I learn at a law firm? And a decade is too much of a time. Also, why isn't working under a litigator who handles commercial and other relevant cases is a better option?
Seedha bol CLC se hai.
Pick a decent young trial lawyer with briefings and indie appearances in most trial courts and HC. Stick with him/her for a year or two after classes. It'll be hell for 6 months seeing your batchmates hop for 1 month certificate and stipend based internship while you'll get the best learning from how to handle clerks, readers, manage hearings, office management, briefing seniors etc.
After grad you'll practically be ready for practice while your papa ki pari batchmates will look for llms mbas and nepo opportunities for law firm jobs or good chambers.
It's most respectable if you know the rudiments of trial and HC practice in different law areas. Cuts short almost 3/4 years of ignominy with some rude senior with a bad temper. Also allows you to be independent in handling matters.
Either you gotta be a hands on guy from the get go or dependant spoonfed file carrying redundant case law researching bubba who gets paid untaxable income by a dyspeptic senior sucking the youth out of you. Like myself.
In the words of the Matrix resurrections promo. The choice is yours. :)