Read 57 comments as:
Filter By
I'm sure in the past two years, the world especially law school world has turned super hostile and polarised.
We need compassion and humanity to prevail. We desperately need it. Have lost so many friends based on ideological grounds after they turned woke and hostile after I didn't. I don't want to lose many more. I'm so tired of these ideological warfares. Whichever it is. Whoever is winning. Idc. I am just a human and so are you. I know there will be some hyper intellectual argument against this but please. I just want to be and I want my friends back. Let's just build tolerant spaces not woke spaces. Let's make friends with people who don't have viewpoints like ours. That's how we learn from friends and grow. We can do it together without having to kick people out based on their ideology. As much as you are entitled to your ideology, I am entitled to mine. And THAT'S OK. And contrary to what Instagram and Twitter propogates, YES WE CAN HAVE DIFFERENT POVs, WE CAN CO-EXIST AND STILL BE FRIENDS. We can have different perspectives, different upbringings, different castes, different religions, different genders, different sexualities. But we are all human and not so different. Point out words that hurt or humour that hurts and allow space for others to think and change. Don't abandon friendships on these things. Human relationships are so essential and I'm sure many of us cherish it. It's heartbreaking to be on campus and see people who were you long standing friends walk past you without even acknowledging you because you fought over political grounds. Fml
I want my friends back.
Thanks for hearing me rant out. I'm just tired of all this.
A viewpoint doesn’t exist in a vacuum. It’s not a preference of tea or coffee. Viewpoints reflect your worldview and how you view people and regard them as worthy. For instance, how could someone okay with state violence be friends with someone at risk of state violence? Find friends who hate human beings as much as you do and forge new bonds
Only Liberals can be reductionist enough to reduce complex politics in terms of "do you hate/love hoomans?"

Cute.
There's nothing complex about BJP politics. It is actually hinging upon bringing the basest of human traits. Case in point, the recent 'Hindu Mahasabha' hate speeches.
Different POVs, yes. But if you are intent on supporting people who are hell-bent on polarising the country in the name of religion, act like fascists to stop every piece of criticism, feign ignorance about people dying because of faulty policy decisions, champion ignorance over science, put people behind bars without any proof and drag the cases on for years thereby killing them, encourage extra judicial killings, get inhabitants of this country to prove their citizenship after years of staying and bleeding for this country, forcibly impose one language on everyone, refuse to consider the very diversity that makes this country great, and are full of leaders who are misogynist to the core and refuse to consider women as equal and independent, then I dunno what makes you think that you and I actually have anything in common to become friends on the basis of.
Sure, why not.

Keep supporting Congress who chose fucking Kanhaiya "separatist" Kumar as its chief campaigner in the Himachal Polls. But that's not what your hypocrite self will call out.

If there's a political party, which openly supports the army personnel, I openly support it.

PS: Nehru said "not a blade of grass grows there" when china invaded Ladakh. Certainly not the best statement to give, especially when you have an army fighting it out in hostile conditions.
Literally no political party has called for the abolition of the army lol stop using the jawans in Siachen as an excuse for your bigotry
Showmanship isn't supporting the army personnel.

The government has undermined army personnel pension plans, opposed entry of women into the army and uses the army frequently for optics (with some serious allegations on how pulwama attacks were used for electioneering purposes).

While Nehru was no great example of a military-loving leader, at least he had owned the responsibility for the China war loss. This government is literally pretending like it won against China when it has severely undermined the country's national security position along the northern/north-eastern borders.
Buddy, you're really well intentioned. It's people like you who keep the world accountable. Society absolutely needs people like you.
But you've got the idea of friendship all wrong. I wish you the best.
I thought activism was about having conversations with people who have perspectives to things different from what you hold and trying to convince them to think correctly. Cutting them off doesn't help you or your movement to end the "fascist" regime.
If I have to convince you not to support those who commit such atrocities, then you are really that sort of person with whom I don't want to be friends with. What does activism have to do with my personal choice about who I want to hang out with?
And by cutting of your friends irrespective of your ideology you deem to think that this will stop.

NO, Politics doesn't works that way, you'll be losing your friends meanwhile Modi, owasi, Sonia will be sipping coffee in canteen and enjoying jokes with each other while same things were happening before and will happen again with varying degrees.

There is a life beyond extreme ends. The high idealism you are taking about is confined to newspaper and social media posts. All hands are dipped in blood, you can't keep your hands clean. So, it's upto you, how much stains you want on your hands.
Again, you are assuming that you would be my friend despite having an ideology that calls for violation of my rights. I simply don't make friends with such people. Clearly, that is difficult for you to understand, which is probably also a side effect of your ideology.
Its not just law school. Social media has polarized people everywhere. I have seen such arguments in family group as well.
Rise Arjun, do not be tired. Arise, awake and fight for Dharma.

This is not the time to lament for long lost times of simple living.

Times have become complicated.

A great game is unfolding.

Find your role in it and fulfil it.
You college kids have lost it. Learn to chill the fuck out or you all will have a horrible time when you step into the real world. I wanna see you rejecting briefs because the client is a BJP supporter or a TMC supporter. "With me or against me" will come slap you across the face then.
Professional and social circles of sane people often differ. Just because my work demands that I interact with you, that doesn't mean I need to include you in my personal life.
Don't worry. All of these wokes will end up at SAM, CAM AZB etc, and end up working for Ambani Adani etc.
Yes, because being a capitalist and a believer in fascism always go hand-in-hand.
Being a capitalist, and believing in CPI and CPI(M) drivel certainly do not, and neither does hounding a businessman out of state (ahem Mamata Banerjee, singur, Tata factory)
Right. Your brand of capitalism means getting cronies lap up all the profit and 1% of the population control 98% of the resources. it also means denying that migrant workers died during COVID, farmers died during protest, destroying the credibility of all central organisations, and basically admitting that all election promises that mattered were mere jumlas. Also, which brand of capitalist economy suggested demonetization again? The party that you support is not at all a believer in principles of capitalism either.
Do being a capitalist and blindly
supporting increasing surcharges and cess, taking random decisions like DeMon and Lockdown without considering their implications ? Because the economy says no.
I get the point you're making but your comment reeks of casteism and classism. If you really understood caste and class privilege, you would have worded this comment differently.
Client is different and friendships are different how is that so hard to understand
You should be the last person to be lecturing others on friendship, buddy
It seems like you’ve made your decision and they’ve made theirs. Nobody put a gun to your head for your views. Nobody has put you in jail. Similarly, you’re not entitled to be friends with people who don’t want to be friends with you.

Find people who do want to be friends with you and be happy
How to be friends with people who have a pov that denies my identity my existence?
It's easy to say all this with the privilege of not being personally affected by that diff pov.
So by this logic do you suggest that minorities who supposedly have their identities threatened by this majoritarian government... not be friends with Hindus because majorly only Hindus elected the BJP?
If your answer is yes, I'm glad you're going around cutting off friends and sparing them these logically fallacious and divisive perspectives.
You'll be laughed at by Keralites if you hold these views in Kerala. We have fools from SDPI , RSS and Muslim League people fighting amongst themselves like this and killing each other. Political violence has become so common because of these extremist views that as these fools believe is the ultimate truth. Comical to see the rest of the country become so extremist and intolerant.
sorry kid but that ain't happening
you gotta learn to live with it. Takes time but you get there
some of us are hell bent of making political opinions a matter of life and death when 9/10 times, it's not. no argument is compelling enough to convince them. Let them be. By God's grace, if at all, with time they'll realize that judging a person by their declared political opinions is a folly.
RBG and Scalia were great friends! Did RBG/Scalia lack a moral compass to not shun friendships over political opinions? You be the judge.
Yeah they didn’t really differ in their opinions (and rulings) on race and indigenous rights. Friendships can be forged based on proximity and class solidarity, but OP’s friends clearly had better options.
you're right, my dude.

everyone in law school(except the IDIA scholars, perhaps) continues to reap benefits from their respective class identities. worst are the liberals with a faux sense of moral superiority.

anyhoo, the whole point of friendships is...to look past class, creed, etc..., in my opinion. You love who you love, you friend who you friend. heart does not understand politik. heart understands shared jokex, pranks, hating the same professor. heart no know no proletariat or bourgeoisie.

if OP's frens' hearts no longer want OP's frenship, then OP must make peace with it

oh and you're right about RBG. woman gave some shady ruling on allowing child sex doll, I'm told. but did nothing to deserve those freaky collar tributes.
Let's be clear. It is the wokes who have caused the divisions. Law schools were not divided like this when alumni from previous generations were students. I want to be friends with everyone and I want the best for my law school, but wokes should admit first that they started the fire.

Comment 2 just shows what I mean.
You want to be friend with me and also support policy decisions that compromise my rights. Can't really have your cake and eat it too.
A 463-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Dude just keep your 1st yr high aside. By the time you end law school you will realise dat all these 'so called friends' just came and used you for their selfish interests.
Learn to love and enjoy alone, don't act so immature and spoilt kid.
Why don’t you file a UAPA case against them, maybe that will work?
God bless whichever law schools you people go to. I don't support BJP but I'd not wish this kind of immature and toxic peer group on even my worst enemy. Glad I've passed out long ago with best friends from across the ideological spectrum. We fight a lot even now but we know where to draw the line and how to sustain relationships. I'd hate to have them think that they have to say or believe in certain things to fit in my perception of being a friend. Can't imagine any worse form of controlling behaviour.

Surrounding yourselves with people who think only like you doesn't add any value to you. You just end up getting an ego boost in every conversation with everyone agreeing with you.
After reading these comments honestly the thought that comes to my mind is - "I don't understand people anymore". This is a glaring insight into how people think today and it's honestly scary. We had the best of times in college. No shit for guessing if we hung out with people on the basis of political affiliation. Ofcourse not.
Looks like people in colleges are subconsciously emulating BJP's divisive nature in some weird way.
That's because governments at that time did not argue for alienating part of the population or indirect genocide, lynching etc.
You do realise most of the landmark judgements on civil liberties that all of you rely upon now were passed as a result of the stifling of civil liberties under the successive regimes that came before the BJP? I'm sure you've heard of worse things being committed during the Emergency but you turn a blind eye to it. ( Bringing this comment up because you referred to the previous governments. To make a point that it's always been the State against individual liberties, non-specific to any party. Don't come at me with "why are you only looking at the past" arguement.)
And hence breaking bonds on political lines is not a solution.
Not ignoring those at all. I will shun everyone who suggests that what had been done during Emergency was the right thing to do, just as you are suggesting that all the atrocities being perpetrated by the current government are somehow justified. Neither of you will be considered to be part of my friend circle, and that makes me very happy.
You do realise that the number of even those judgements have dwindled now and not because of the atrocities have lessened, but because the judiciary is being suborned slowly and steadily, along with all the supposedly independent agencies from RBI to Election Commission? The current NHRC chairperson actually feels that HR struggle is a 'foreign conspiracy'. 'Nuff said!
Bruh what indirect genocide. Stop throwing around unsubstantiated words like these. This is what makes a lot of people opposed to civil society.
It doesn't lack substance. You should travel and know your country better. Or at least read things other than whatsapp forwards.
Yes, what about them? Don't remember me being friends with the people who supported killing of KPs either. Not that the present government has done anything to help them either till date.
No point arguing with these wokes. Just make new friends. From my experience it's always been best for your mental health to stay away from such people who don't know how to prioritise things.
Of course. Your support for atrocities should certainly not be prioritised over your ability to crack knock-knock jokes over beer. All the RWs commenting in this thread are actually making it quite clear why sane people won't be friends with them anymore. The latter certainly don't have any problem with the former not being friends with them.
A 58-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 119-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.