Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
The work culture is pretty bad I've heard if there are exceptions in any city, I'd love to know about them
Hey there,

Starting in a tier 1 comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. The experience largely depends on 1) your area of practice; 2) your team, partner, SAs / PAs and the level of understanding / toxicity; 3) the overall firm culture and 4) Your reaction to what is in front of you.

Out of the four, only the last one is what you can fully control. It is always better to start at a place where the seniors are understanding and do have some semblance of mentorship. Fair warning, tier 1s are overburdened due to a wide variety of reasons so you'll have plenty of work. If you like the work, you'll have a good time. If you dont, you'll struggle. But overall it will be a hard grind atleast in capital markets, banking and finance and generals corporate. I am not sure about other practice areas.

I started out in house, moved to a tier 3 firm and moved on to tier 1. If finances were not an issue with me, I'd have stayed at the tier 3 firm as I had a great team and the partners were really good and understanding. But this is not always the case.

Do focus on what is on your hand, in your control and act accordingly. If you get to start off in tier 1, consider yourself lucky as not everyone gets that chance, but know your risks upfront and be prepared. It's good to have it on your CV but if you are not learning and growing professionally you will need to move to a better team quickly. Focus on learning in the initial stages of your career notwithstanding the tiers. Even if you miss out, with PQE under your belt, you can make it laterally as tier 1s are always hiring. Always remember, your mental, physical and emotional health are more important and don't let your work affect your health.

Good luck and stay safe!
Hi. I did my 5 year LL.B. from a local college and thereafter did my LL.M. from Jindal.