Read 43 comments as:
Filter By
I mean WTF.

I can say, with utmost conviction, that no person, under the age of 30 has had any significant impact on the legal profession, in any meaningful way.
People under 30 barely start getting noticed in their own firms, and here's a magazine that's going all out to constitute a jury and award them.
Ouch, looks like someone did not get the award after a worthy application?
There is a legal start up focusing on online ADR that has been doing a lot of good work I would say. The owners are all under 30, but I can't recall their names. The organisation is called Sama I think. Very good work done with online Lok Adalat in particular.
This is the two Mahendra brothers - one of them is a partner at Keystone. Stellar work indeed
Pranjal Sinha, Akshetha Ashok and Vikram Kumar are the co-founders of SAMA.
There are quite a few publications/lists that nobody respects. BW and Legal Era are probably worse than even them. Don't even take a list from BW seriously. I mean if you get an award from BW for any list, it's best to hide it and not display it on LinkedIn at all.
A BW 30 under 30 nomination merely costs INR 17700, inclusive of all taxes. Even an intern could afford that. Every single BW award, with no exceptions whatsoever, are paid for. If you’ve purchased a BW award for yourself, congrats, everyone’s laughing at you and you’re out of nearly 20k. Your contribution to the legal world is in the negative, since you’re perpetuating a scam by financially supporting it.
The peeps who want recognition of this sort, usually aim to create an impression on the clients. Most lawyers know that BW's credibility is hit, but most clients are clueless. Other than Legally India, I don't think anyone calls out BW openly (say, via linked in). And believe it or not, BW is an investment for most as they will earn several times that amount later on. Some clients indeed believe this BS and may allow such rankings to influence their decisions.
Aloo pyaz are essential unlike these awards. There's dignity in aloo pyaz unlike these awards. There's nutrition and calories in aloo pyaz unlike these awards. There's political might in aloo pyaz unlike these awards.
Promising Sperms Who might be Law Firm Partners, if they can make it. (Geddit geddit?)
Half the people receiving these bogus awards are not known to anyone in the legal fraternity. These awards are complete sham..
licks the ice-cream

I beg to differ from OP's POV that no person under 30's has ever made a significant impact on the legal profession, (unless the OP is talking about the environment currently) - a plain Google search will tell you that men like Mr. Palkivala and Mr. Jethmalani (Sr.) had made a significant impact and were famous enough approaching their 30s.

On this award being a sham - the very fact that one needs to pay a certain amount to be eligible to be considered, highlights how desperate these folks are to get attention - I can somehow understand the logic behind lesser known firms' partners / mid-level lawyers buying or applying for this award to market their services - but I doubt using a tag "BW top 30 under 30" on a LinkedIn profile or in their e-mail signatures, will have any impact on client acquisitions.

One of the reasons (other than massaging their own egos) why most Tier 1 firms even buy these awards or get spots/ranked on peer-reviewed forums is basically to foster a kick-back from their international counterparts to refer work to them and vice versa. Alas, the clients will give whatever feedback one needs so long as one turn-around the issues lists/DD report at 5 minutes notice...

In summation, I would advise BW and other such forums to at least come with awards (tag names) which speaks to the skillsets of a lawyer applying for an award, for instance: "fastest typist", "slave-master", "gossipmonger". "delegator in chief", "socialmedia addict" to name a few - these taglines will not only help massaging the egos of such individuals, but will also help prospective clients in identifying their actual skillsets.

finishes the ice-cream and Google's the nearest ice-cream parlor*
Baaki sab theek hai bey, ye ice cream ka kya scene hai? Tu ice cream chat kuch bhi chat yahan kyun daalra hai?
Giani saab, aapki dukan ke upar baat nahi ho rahi hain.

Yeh Keral ke ice-cream parlor ki baat hain, kabhi yaha bhi aapka business expand kar lena - acchi ice-cream parlor or ice-cream parlor cases ki kaami hain - yeh Delhi walle launde hi fulfill kar sakte hain.. :p
Bhai hum ice cream parlour main sirf ice cream bhejte hai. After enjoying Kunhalikutty’s ice cream parlour you keral folks won't be able to appreciate a normal ice cream parlour.

Still don't see what it has to do with BW legal list being crap though.
If you knew any of the people on the jury personally, and you participated, you will know how tough it was. Get over yourself, poor butt hurt soul
assuming you're a prize buyer/winner, do any of the people on the jury know you personally? Are you telling me Bahram Vakil and Bharat Chugh sat down to review deal lists comprising of mid-tier fund raising rounds and corporate advisory matters to select 30 individuals who somehow shaped the M&A landscape in India? Get out of here lmao
Yaar, this is what I dont like - "If you knew any of the people on the jury...". Arre put it down here if you know. Rhetorical question tha na? Now I am asking you in one comment, then you will reply in another - thats so much energy and effort wasted.

And please do put down the list - I really want to know now who the jury is.
Hayabusawala ... I thought you were a 30+ recruiting partner. Thought that you were recruiting people from Jindal. Why are you cribbing?
It's because the Jindal people whom he hires have got the money to pay for this, but he still doesn't.
Grapes to kam se kam khaa toh sakte hain - is award ka kya karoge?
I don’t mean this as an insult to my peers β€” I’ve had two friends who’ve made it to this years BW list, and neither of them truly believe that they’ve achieved something within their respective teams (let alone firms β€” or practice areas). They’re just fresh SAs who are doing the same work as they did when they were A2s. One of my friends wasn’t even in the top 5 highest paid members of his team of 15, since he hadn't billed as much.

So in essence β€” it’s like a paid journal publication. Might get you a few more views on your resume / linked profile; but all in all doesn’t look good to a knowledgeable observer (this isn’t hate β€” my very first journal entry was a paid one β€” but I’ve soberer enough to realise it’s not something I want it show on my resume or public profile). Hopefully my friends will sober up and learn this as time goes by.
Insightful thread, especially since my LinkedIn is suddenly full of M&A lawyers who are suddenly winning awards despite doing nothing but corporate advisory and mid-ticket deals for the last 5 years. How is this so blatant?
110 people paid the 20,000 fees. 40% of the folks were from T1 law firm. 30 made it to the final list. No rocket science to figure how genuine these awards are. If you pay the registration and are from a half decent law firm, you will get it for sure. Kids who apply for these phony awards assume that the world can’t see through it. The panelists are also law firm partners. You do the math.
Such journal awards and recognitions is marketing for legal services since direct marketing is anyway banned.

Paying for these things not only helps them get listed, they also benefit from client referrals and the journal's network.
1. No Awards are sold by BW. It is an application fee. As does any entrance/competitive exam form.
Why the fee?
a. To ensure attendance at BW jury meets where dignitaries spend full day Interviewing/interacting with/assess the candidates.
b. Trophies and awards don't fall from the sky. There's cost involved.
c. If everyone who pays 17700 could win...there wouldn't be just 30 winners because everyone pays the processing fee but only 30 win.

2. To think there are no achievers under the age of 30 is exactly the reason more platforms need to encourage these recognition systems.
what fact have you checked exactly? If you have to pay 17,700 to even be eligible for the "award", you're not being awarded, you're bidding to buy an award. That's somehow worse than actually just straight up buying an award. You can get a nice big trophy for cheaper on Amazon.
These BW awards are like any other for-profit business setup. They have to find ways to make money by coming up with various categories and charging the fee. No one cares about these awards (no, people do); many firms pay and get these. a Sad state of affairs.
2023 - new year, new clowns who think that they are top 30 Lawyers under 30 years of age.

Blessings from your partner and 17k - congratulations you are now 30 under 30.
Shhh, don't give it away. My retirement plan is to set up new awards for each age bracket. 31 under 31, 32 under 32 and so on. Awards available for a paltry 20k + GST. No one gets a trophy, it's an NFT sent to you via gmail. Every winner will get a personalised ChatGPT written message of congratulations.