Read 90 comments as:
Filter By
Delhi- One of the best teams to work in, with a supportive boss who understands your personal space and boundaries and mentors you at every step.

The team also has foreign partners who look after IBC matters exceptionally well and ensure that associates are taught at every step.

The work hours art decent and there is no pay disparity. Weekends are sacrosanct and are respected.

This is what an ideal place looks like, but sadly the above comments don’t reflect so. Anyways, I haven’t worked, have only seen as an associate in other team.
A 17-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
How is an opinion post moderated as “facts contested”. Is it even claiming to be fact?
Look, it's pretty simple - if you want to learn the law, he's a great guy. If not, then save him and yourself the trouble of applying. I've found him to be considerate, supportive and a good boss, overall.
Agreed. Most of the kids in LNL are used to work in a sarkari setup with no effort. They would act as cry babies
Have you worked in a sarkari setup? If not, kindly reconsider your opinion. Just because one might have a few more Gandhis in your pocket, virtue cannot be claimed. Everyone's starting point and goals are different. Introspect.
Nice joke! Learn the law is okay but at what cost, you’ll die soon in few years if you over work, all your money will go in health care 😂
[...] Also people are called to offc on Saturdays and Sundays.
So true. His minions (current team) won't even speak up. All the good ones have left already.
Why was my comment taken down? I thought the entire reason why LI was different was because it promoted free speech. That comment had received a bunch of likes. So it clearly resonated with a fair number of people.
As someone who previously worked in Manmeet's team... I think I'm well placed to answer this question. Overall it's a pretty unhealthy environment. [...]

There are a few things that stood out for me:

[...]
3. He doesn't seem to grasp (or at-least he didn't back then) the concept of work-life balance. He would ask us to come to work on Saturday/Sunday and for random things.

[...]
Last line of your comment... Have you been able to find a firm which is not toxic? If yes, please do suggest!

Law firm partners find some sort of sadistic pleasure in making associates work on weekends. [...]
.....and this is exactly how he built the largest team on the Luthra lit side (as a non equity partner) and the largest book on the lit side...
Why is LI deleting every honest comment being posted on this thread?
I do have an true story about Manmeet Singh which a lot of readers on this thread might find useful in making their career choices, but I am doubtful that LI would let it remain on this thread for very long.

Instead I will respond to the question which a lot of readers have asked here - why is LI censoring so many honest comments? Simple, because they want to avoid be sued for defamation.
I’ll give a fair review. It will be unbiased, fair and I hope LI does not remove it:

1. Work hours are insane. You are expected to work from 11AM to 11 PM generally, best time, which may extend till late nights

2. Work is 7 days a week

3. Except random call from any partners under him or him on Sunday or Saturday.

4. Work life balance is a myth

5. If you are an A0/A1, you will have to figure out things on your own. ▮▮▮ This is where the lack of middle level SAs and PAs hit .

6. Manmeet sir is approachable with regards to doubts etc. But other partners ▮▮▮

7. Cases are good- they are high stake matters.

8. Associates are friendly.

9. Be ready to sacrifice your personal life if you are joining, ▮▮▮.

The attrition rate is alarming in his team. I’ve heard that 8-10 associates including a SA,PA had left his team in last 3 months.
Deference to point 6.

Damn! Can’t agree more.

As a person who has worked there, I’d beg to differ on point 6 to the extent that two partners (under Manmeet) I worked with were great, viz. Mr Alok Shankar and Mr. Sairam (who just joined).

They are the gems one can work with.
Agreed with all points.

It’s a very toxic place. Please join some better place and live a peaceful live.

Peace
Culture is the issue! Even though Manmeet is good as a professional, he fails to appreciate Work Life Balance. For once even if I say that Manmeet is a great person, but partners under him who deal with commercial matters in Delhi are difficult to work with- highly unprofessional, cranky, egomaniacs, providing work with vague guidelines, randomly calling on weekends, saying on face that you are being paid so do the work, micromanaging stuff.

If you join in Delhi Team, try working directly under Manmeet and not under the kids who are yet to learn how to behave with people.
It’s every where the same, it’s India dude.

Over population has created a demand supply gap, 1 associate leaves and 50 are ready to join.

Believe me, you can keep cribbing but no one cares. Culture won’t change. You’ll need to adjust, or don’t join a law firm.

Kudos buds
That's a daft way of looking at it. Many law firms have partners with reasonable work culture and non-toxic environments. There are teams where people can leave at 7-8, still have a reasonable work life balance and make good money. Anything else is a leadership failure.
Dude, that is not a daft way.

dude. to regurgitate toxicity is in the eyes of the person, many ass-ociates are so lazy that they will not want to work but crib around the whole day, and when asked for deliverables- they call the environment toxic!

Is it reasonable?

Gen-Z do not want to work and just chill.
You are behaving as if this particular team represents the generality view of all teams pan India. Having worked in his team, and switched to a new team in some other Tier 1 firm, I can tell with certainty that what you are saying is the lamest thing.

I had asked my current boss why people in his team will not leave for years, he said “Mentor your juniors about the deliverables, provide with an adequate time space and treat them humanly giving them the space to rejuvenate. Then they will perform much better. Be a leader and not a boss.”
I’ve a lot of names, but taking names on LI would be wrong. For ease, you can safely assume the places and team where ▮▮▮ of his associate ▮▮▮, shift to, and stay there for years have healthy work environment and reasonable partners.
When the fox 🦊 could not eat the grapes, what did he say “the grapes are sour”.

Eat- handle the team well

Grapes- juniors
I had a chance to work years back. Like most, I worked for a short stint before going in house.

Whilst the above comments more or less covers every aspect. I would give a very fair share of my review, if you are looking for balance of your personal life and professional life this is then, the last place your should consider.

Manmeet is a workaholic, to meet and match up to his expectations you will have to work insanely, which will disrupt your work life balance. There is hardly any day when there is no work. I don’t know about the other partners, because I never had a chance to work with them.

Kudos! Hope this helps.
Work exposure and matters are good, you will get exposed to high stake matters and big clients in the market you can imagine. Work flow is regular. What is alarming is ‘human management’ by junior partners and senior partners in the team.

The archaic mindset that employees are machines, having no personal life and issues is inherent. Work life balance is the last thing you can imagine. No personal issues/reasons are appreciated and you can be thrown off at a days notice if you ask for leave if your health is too bad, or your house has caught fire etc. (All this has really happened)

▮▮▮

Legally India- you are the epitome of free speech, i hope you won’t delete this.

Well wisher
It was obvious to everyone sitting near the person who was let go in one days time that ▮▮▮. ▮▮▮. ▮▮▮ Maybe he was not in the right frame of mind but he triggered his notice period and since ▮▮▮, he was told his notice period was being curtailed to one day. This team has the clients and work quality of a tier 1 firm and that does require working hard. So if you want to learn the law and work on important matters and if you are willing to word hard for that then this is the place for you, otherwise maybe not.
Z pleaded that Z wanted leave, because Z’s home caught fire. Z was denied. ▮▮▮ (▮▮▮) was bombarding work and not willing to listen, saying “don’t make excuses dude, work is work”. Z told ▮▮▮, he could not work and wanted leave. ▮▮▮ said he will call ▮▮▮ (▮▮▮) and tell ▮▮▮, Z said he will convince ▮▮▮. But ▮▮▮ had been influenced by what ▮▮▮ had said, and so the notice was given was curtailed.

▮▮▮

Legally India - this is fact. Please consider putting the other side too.
When some ones house catches fire, he/she should be automatically granted leave for least 2-3 weeks. One can’t expect him/her to have ‘frame of mind’.

I hope the person and his family is well.

▮▮▮
Never knew lawyers work on client's deadlines. Never seen Mr. Salve, Mr. Rohatagi and likes being told by the client, do this work by evening today or you are fired. Law firms and, in most cases, their self made urgencies. Professionalism means equal respect to both side and not one is boot licking the other for giving work and obliging.
Clients are first for any law firm. It’s the client for whom we work.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Deadlines in litigation are set by the court and when they are tight - even big shots work at a moments notice. Don't remember the number of times I have attended briefings with seniors on sunday, at 7PM..10PM etc for matters listed next day. All these seniors work 16 hour days, far more than any transactional associate and definitely more than T1 partners.
This is a fact. You get insane opportunities and exposure. Handling some great litigation matters, briefing luminaries, etc. Work hours are crazy, yet manageable if you have passion for litigation.
Paji has a lot of clients who only care about work product. He is good at it. All this cribbing about culture won’t affect.
It provides you with excellent exit opportunities. You can end up in better firms from here. Kuch din bitao, fir kat lo. Ache firms milenge yaha se. A PA from his team become Director at CAM.

An SA and A1 got into Trilegal.

And this will continue, it’s really good launhpad.
A fair review: (1) good work flow; (2) learning curve is high, try working directly under Manmeet; (3) since work flow is high, you need to show dedication 24x7 and be available; (4) like every place, there will be certain issues, share with Manmeet directly - he is approachable; (5) when there is work there is work, no life- when is there no work, there is life- you will have a 70-30 work life balance; and (6) high exposure and chance to represent great clients in market.
Good place to work if you want great matters at hand, only caveat work flow is insane. One would need to be hardcore commitment to work.
I’ve worked with Manmeet Sir directly. Working with him is a dream come true. You would be put on high stake matters, with huge corporate clients. You’d be sitting in client call with him. He follows a non-linear hierarchy, that is even a fresher can report to him. Don’t think much, if you get a chance grab it. What may be harsh, would be the immense work load, but that is manageable if you have passion. If you consider it as a 9-5 Monday to Friday job, don’t join. But if you are hardcore passionate about litigation- join him, your career growth would be immense. Yes, all of this is true when you work directly with him.
Manmeet is a good leader to work with. Work with him, you will learn the real work of soliciting litigation with high stake clients.

But great power comes with great responsibility. You will need to be passionate about litigation, clients stake and expectations are very high, you need to be on your toes everytime and that is only manageable if you are passionate about work.
A 6-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 4-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 113-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 24-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 0-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 1-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 51-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
Look, in any law firm, work life balance is a problem and a myth. In a sense it's a classic case of competing interests. Clients want deliverables as of yesterday. Partners want to keep clients happy and humor them and often as a result, Associates are expected to work inhuman hours. It is a truth that everyone in the legal field is aware of and does nothing to change.

Having said that, there are inefficiencies in certain teams which can certainly be addressed to make it a better place. ▮▮▮
This is a misplaced notion. There are teams which look in the long run and don’t consider work life balance as a myth.

Post Covid-19, a realization for hood has sprung among people that work is a part of life and not life. One has family, one has personal stuffs, personal life- there needs to be a balance. Clients will always be demanding, that doesn’t mean one should ignore his well being and panic 🙀 about what if.

The inefficiency if any is to acknowledge that work life balance is not a myth. Maybe in olden times it was, but not now.
Efficiencies can be addressed if the higher level is willing to shred off the viel of arrogance and sympathise with the issues of the employees, and not treat them like machines.

The junior partners in Delhi are more ▮▮▮. Someone have become partners but lack basic ▮▮▮, and that is why attrition rate will spike.
A 94-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.
A 36-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 136-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 53-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 83-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.
A 20-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 36-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 25-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 68-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 12-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 109-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 140-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 186-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 16-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 38-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 22-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 6-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 2-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 29-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 31-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 95-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.
A 5-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.
A 43-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 7-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.