Read 19 comments as:
Filter By
I find Nakul Dewan’s rapid ascent as an internationally acclaimed counsel fascinating.

Could someone in the know tell me more about it? How and where did he start from? Was it at chambers, in-house or a consultancy/ law firm?

Is Nakul a first generation lawyer? Did he walk into the field well padded and backed, by “well-wishers”?

R - please don’t let an innocuous query like this trigger you. Moderate lousy responses instead.
Bump. Heard lot about Nakul Dewan. He is the only Indian lawyer having Offices in three Jurisdictions - London, New Delhi & Singapore.
This is the first time I am hearing of him. I googled and saw that he is Senior Advocate attached to a barrister's chamber in the UK and has a BCom from SRCC, an LLB from DU and an LLM from NUS Singapore.

https://twentyessex.com/people/nakul-dewan/?pdf=627

My first thought is that he not from an NLU but the traditional DU background. DU is still #1 among TLCs and has a better brand value than a lot of NLUs, but with NLSIU's 3 year LLB programme such bright talents will now prefer NLSIU to DU.
It is incredible how every conversation on LI ultimately turns into a college di** measuring contest. Jesus. No one asked for your opinion on whether DU is better than NLS or not
Yea! He spends a fair amount of time at Singapore (or at least, used to!) + he’s attached to a chamber in UK.
Fascinating! Supreme Court or Delhi High Court?

Either way, it appears that law runs in the veins in that family!

After all, Priya only deals with top guns like Jones Day, AZB, Gibson Dunn, Indigo and Rakesh Jhunjhunwala!

Good on the Mehra’s to pick a capable boy without any form of backing to take the legacy forward.
What is fascinating about this? Judge hai bro. Shah Rukh khan nahi.
Lol! Family and competence is not always a parallel but sure feel free to feel.
He was Ejaz Macbools junior. Ejaz briefed Rohinton all the time. Rohinton got him and Ritin to assist on the Vodafone tax case. When Rohinton became a judge, he got briefed all the time before him. When Senior designation applications were called for, Rohinton pushed heavily to have him designated as a legacy because Rohinton himself had no juniors. It's not a particularly meteoric rise - he has been in the profession 20 years.
Fascinating. Wonder why he shies from disclosing any employment background on the various websites hosting his bio! I say this because all these names you’ve dropped are quite big!

Having seen Nakul in action first hand, I thought of him as an Amarchand or JB Dadachanji Alumnus.

Thanks for sharing.
होंगे कोई जस्टिस मेहरा किसी जमाने के दिल्ली हाई कोर्ट में! गूगल कर लो भैया..
ND’s father in law is not a judge. He’s not in the legal field at all. ND made it on his own steam by being really bright and working 20 hours a day!