Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Guys, I earn 1.1 lac per month. After 10% tax, it is 99,000.

My question is how much tax do I need to pay? Do I need to pay more tax over 10% TDS, like at the standard rates applicable to employees?

And when do I need to file Income tax returns? I am really confused. Does it mean that if was to be a legal counsel, my tax liability would have been less?

I am an A0. Please help me out.
If you are a retainer (which you are with 10% TDS) then you file as a professional. For your income level don't both too much. You file under the 50% deemed income route (net receipts (1.1x12)/2) is your taxable income. From this reduce your investments and other deductions and you'll end up with a refund.

Heck even without deductions you'll end up with a refund as your annual income will be 6.6L and you would have paid a tax of 1.30 already.

For the first 5 years on the job, don't go to a CA. File your taxes yourself and learn how tax law works. Trust me. Its very easy to do it.
All my money is lying in bank account. Can I still claim 50% of my income as expenses?
Please read Shivani Builders case. This is the wrong understanding of 44ADA.
You'll get a handsome refund (around 1l) once you file your taxes. Please go see a ca and ask them to do presumptive returns. Don't skimp on the CA.
Should have put 1.5 under 80C and 25 under 80D, it would have become tax free post presumptive regime.
Comment 3 below has already detailed it.

Just wanted to add that you don't need to go to a CA. Go to the new filing portal (https://eportal.incometax.gov.in/)
register yourself and file for ITR-4 (don't file ITR-3 unless you have significant other sources of income - it's too complicated).

Under ITR-4, file as a 'professional'. In the income section, enter the amount calculated as

(1.1L x 12 months) whole divided by 2.

[Keep in mind it's gross salary i.e. 1.1L and not net salary which is 99,000 in your case]

Your TDS will automatically be reflected in the account as firm must have filed the TDS using your PAN.

So TDS - tax payable will be the refund you will get and that will be automatically generated.
Better to be a farmer. No tax, free electricity, free water, free fertilisers, burn stubble at will, above the law etc.