Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
I'm planning a move from academia to law firms,largely due to academia being broke AF.

Any law firm headhunter leads/contacts/LinkedIn profiles appreciated.
Very interested as well: is this possible? Does anyone know of examples of people who have done this before?
Why boss? If academia is broken then law practice is brokened. I understand as a young idealist you may have other ideas, but think twice, thrice, four times, five times..till you get to not leaving academia.
It will mostly depend on your reputation as an academic and on your contacts. Several people have shifted to academia temporarily from the industry. Some of them returned to the industry after a while. Obviously, it is easier for them. I have a friend who teaches at one of the NLUs and also consults occasionally with firms. Most of them including my own would readily take him in if he ever wishes to shift, although he may not be given an equivalent position to his contemporaries who have been working in firms for all their working lives (maybe an A3 or SA with a fast track to PA, as compared to his batchmates who are non-equity partners now). However, if you are someone who has had no industry experience, but wants to shift to the industry permanently, then getting a job higher than an A0 or A1 may be difficult regardless of your number of years as an academic. For litigation firms, this will be even more difficult compared to transaction based firms, since most Indian legal academics (including NLU alumni academics) have got very little idea about how things actually work in a court of law when the client is relying on you to get relief.
start with doing consulting work with law firms, build up contacts and after couple of years you may switch