Read 27 comments as:
Filter By
I'll be appearing for CLAT next year and I am unsure about the college preference. I don't trust the coaching centres and neither do I have a senior to guide me. So can you guys please help me with the college preference list?

Thank you
My Top 10 Preference List was this:

NLSIU
NALSAR
WBNUJS
NLUJ
GNLU
NLIU
HNLU
RMLNLU
RGNLU
NLUO
There has been MORE than enough threads on this particular topic and indeed it's a quite controversial topic.
The answer is quite simple, there is no definite order for everyone granted that each candidate has his/her own set of priorities.
Although I'll state the trend of students that have opted for NLUs as it is the safest way to quantify the order of NLUs. (MNLU is an exception in this case though)
The order:
NLSIU
NALSAR
WBNUJS
NLUJ
GNLU
NLIU
HNLU
RMNLU
RGNUL
MNLU
CNLU
You may change one two spots here and there according to locational preferences but the order is more or less like this based the current scenario.
After CNLU I don't think any NLU quite strikes the bar, thus I'll refrain from advising anything below that. (CNLUs Judiciary culture is quite commendable relatively compared to other Tier 2/3s)
I hope you find my answer helpful ❤️

Although I had something else to mention unrelated to the question. I've seen a trend of some kind of friction from the law students or other users from the LI community towards aspirants asking their genuine concern on this platform. I request them to be lenient from their side and don't patronize us, we really need guiding from all of you in order to build a more healthy and open law society in our country. We'll indeed be at the same position that you're in next few years, let's be open to more positivity fam, Cheers! 🥂
If you look at it from that Direction then CNLU also has nothing....
I followed this pattern in CLAT 2020.
NLSIU, NALSAR, NUJS, NLUJ, GNLU, NLIU Bhopal, HNLU, RMLNLU, RGNUL, NLUO, NUALS, MNLU Mumbai, MNLU Nagpur, CNLU, NUSRL, DSNLU, MNLU Aurangabad, NLUJAA, TNNLU, NLUJAA. However, I had decided that if I don't get anything till NUALS, then I would consider Symbi Pune, KIIT, ILS Pune or GLC Mumbai seriously. I managed to get my 2nd choice, and later my seniors and batchmates told me that it was as good a list as any. Hope this helps. This is not a value judgment of these places, but just my personal choice based on what I had learnt about these places from the outside. I did know at least one senior in 6-7 of these NLUs, so had access to some insider info.
MNLU Mumbai should be last, considering the recent developments in the college and absolutely zero infrastructure, alumni base and placements
I already know I'm going to cringe reading the responses to this thread.
1. NLS ( Still provides the best overall experience of law school in India).
2. NALSAR/NLUD (Almost at par. Choose NALSAR if you are looking for a typical Indian law firm/Foreign Law firm route and choose NLUD if you want to explore options other than this. What I listed is the USP of these places. NLUD has good placements too and NALSAR also has students who go for alternate careers like academia. Would've personally chosen NLUD just because of the exposure you'd be able to get in Delhi)
3. NUJS/NLUJ/GNLU (NUJS trumps the other two in Indian law firm placements, but it is a largely student run initiative at this point, so you might not get the typical law school experience. Its makeshift but the wonderful students make it happen. NLUJ has been stagnant for a while, but it has consistently punched above its weight. GNLU is growing by leaps and bounds and the unparalleled funding and decent director has given it a good direction. Has a great alumni base and the large student body ensures an alumni network with diverse careers. By the time you graduate, the line would get even blurry.
4. NLIU/ HNLU/ Symbi (In the order written here. NLIU is going downhill but is still miles apart from the other two. It is one of the oldest NLUs and enjoys a healthy alumni network.

The rankings then come out to be
1) NLS
2/3) NALSAR/NLUD
4/5/6) NUJS & GNLU/NLUJ
7) NLIU
8) HNLU/Symbi/NLUO/RMLNLU/NUALS

Best of luck. Ignore obvious bait/trolls in the comment section. Jinki DD ke bahar zindagi nahi hoti, woh NLUs ka dick measuring contest karke khush hote hain.

P.S: Don't join MNLU Mumbai.
After 6), I would have preferred going to GLC, but that's upto you.
Placements are actually student run initiatives in all NLUs. Admin doesn't have anything to do with it. Alumni do, though. Also, NLUD doesn't matter here since the OP spoke of CLAT.
Hey, this should be the only list you follow. It's based on multiple factors like administration, placements, infrastructure and alumni base. This is also based on the various LI threads that have discussed these schools in detail.

1. NLSIU, Banglore
2. NALSAR, Hyderabad
3. NUJS, Kolkata
4. NLU Jodhpur
5. GNLU, Gandhinagar
6. NLIU, Bhopal
7. HNLU, Raipur
8. NLUO, Bhubaneswar
9. RMLNLU, Lucknow
10. NUALS, Kochi
11. RGNUL, Patiala
12. MNLU, Mumbai

If you are looking for college brand helping with placements, you can only rely somewhat till the top 7 of the list (provided you work hard). After that you can still bag any opportunity that the top 7 colleges are providing, you just have to work harder.

Beyond these 12 colleges, you can decide based on proximity, personal preference, conversations with students, etc.

Best of luck!
Can I know the reason why NUALS is so high in your preference list??
It gives good training if you want to pursue litigation. Honest opinion.
These are the reasons I have placed NUALS so high up. In hindsight you can even place it above RMLNLU and just below NLUO. This opinion is based on my person experience interacting with the students and alumni there-

1. The students are a really good bunch with the majority being keen and eager. The crowd in much better than RML (UP belt crowd) and RGNUL ("high" crowd)

2. The placements are much better than RMLNLU and RGNUL. RGNUL has non existing placements and RML gets a couple of T-1 placements. NUALS last year had ICICI, CAM, JSA and even S&R placements.

3. The alumni base is decent, there are few partners, senior advocates, etc. Much better than the other two
NUALS has had a Rhodes scholar in 2016. This year's final Rhodes rounds also had a NUALS alumni. RML/RG are miles behind.
NUALS also has at least 2 partners in tier one firms and at least 3 academics that I'm aware of. Don't know anyone from RMLNLU and RGNUL with similar profile either.
I just love how this question has been moderated as controversial w/o even the replies coming up first. You go R!
If you don't get NLS, NALSAR, NLUJ, NUJS, NLIU or GNLU, join based on location preferences.

HNLU, RML, RGNUL, NUALS, NLUO are pretty much the same. Hardly any placement because of college. Alumni is well placed everywhere. I think all of them produce corp slaves, lit losers, smudgy judges and babu servants. They also produce same (if not more) number of corp and lit hotshots, stellar judges and able civil servants. Plenty go abroad for higher studies too.

You won't get a job simply because of being in any of these colleges, but you will also not lose out on any because of being in any of these colleges.

Many law firms, advocates etc. have a general disdain towards places like JGLS, SLS, Amity even though the quality of cream at all these places (including that of NLS, NALSAR...HNLU, RML... etc.) is the same. So I will personally recommend that you avoid private colleges. I myself have a colored lens when I get interns from any college other than the abovesaid NLUs.

Just figure out where you want to stay. I will recommend that you stay away from your house, but do go to the closest alternative. I chose RGNUL over the top 5 because of the location and infrastructure, so did some of my seniors and few of my juniors. I know people who chose HNLU / RML over places like NUJS.

Location and personal preference matters a lot. If you can afford, visit the colleges to see what it is like. Join the one you like the most. Your efforts will take care of the rest.

Best,
R (not the moderator)
He who chose RGNUL over top 5 NLUs is doubtless high now if he hadn't been thus while making the choice, and hence should be summarily ignored. Not the least because he makes a lot of assumptions about the legal market and law schools that have got no bearing with reality.
You're probably not even in law school, what absolute bs. You have no idea about how law schools function and their perception. Serious students, please ignore this. The colleges are NOT same, they have lots of differences. Find Legally India threads on specific colleges, you will get a lot of information.