Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Went to an obscure law school - and grades are pretty bad even for that University (50 to 55 range)

Have 4 years of experience at a seniors chamber and 5 years at a Tier 2 law firm. As my wife (IT/Engineering) has shifted to the US permanently - it doesn't make much sense for me to stay back here on India. I am not forced, it's a consensual decision we took in the best interest of our family.

What is the best approach to find a job in the US? Does an LLM make sense?

Also if I am going for an LLM - will my LLB marks (and institute name) and College CV make really a negative impact - Especially when applying for financial aid/scholarship?

I have a significant among of post LLB experience which can be written on the CV. Will my post LLB work experience negate the issues of lack of grades in college and institute tag?

While enrolling for the New York Bar, will my college transcripts put me into trouble - rendering even the LLM useless?

Heard that NY Bar Examiners scrutinize UG marks at ones home country

Thanks in advance!
Hey - I strongly recommend that you consider a local JD program instead of an LLM. It's longer program, but you might feel much more at home. For inspiration read:

One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School is a 1977 autobiographical book by Scott Turow

Or you may consider a newer version. You may also consider pivoting in-house/legal tech. Pivoting and moving is always tough, but my best wishes to you.
Hey, Thanks a lot for this.

We considered accelerated JD's. Staying away from my family longer period- no income and burning a lot more money is hard, but not impossible.

But for JD's they, do look at UG Marks - 4 Year Degree (in my case law school) and I have pathetic grades for any law school. Even if I get a good LSAT Score - my options are limited.

LLM & Bar Prep - takes around 1.5 years and 70L. JD takes more than double everything.
I am going to give you some hard facts as someone who is a New York qualified lawyer. If you want a shot at very good law school for an LLM, you also need either really great marks or really stellar experience. Your work experience may be good for that (though I don't have the details). For financial aid/scholarships, especially the merit based ones, you need both good grades and good work experience. Good news is, your past institute doesn't matter. But you need recommendations from your past professors. Keep that in mind.
Jobs post LLM are quite competitive and I'm not going to lie - law firms there are very picky about which LLMs they hire. People with past experiences from more transactional practices in big law firms in India tend to get a preference. Networking will be key in the LLM.
However, for the JD, your legal experience and admission to the bar in India may give you an edge in admission. But you need to get a kickass score in LSAT to get a good school and unfortunately your undergrad grades may be considered. But, JDs are expensive. You'll have to take out a loan if you don't get good financial aid.
These are the routes available to you. As for the New York Bar, you need to get your undergrad school to send your transcripts to them for vetting. There is no getting around it.
Anyway that's my two cents for the law.
If you're not too opposed to it, go for an MBA.
Your UG marks shouldn't affect your being enrolled onto the NY Bar.

Just go and apply to a few universities and see what the results are. Obviously you might not get into the cream of the crop, but you should be able to land something.

A lot of people here are going to basically say that it is not going to be worth it. These people basically had to leave because they failed to secure a job and didn't have a visa to stay on, so lets call it what it is, Sour grapes.

Make the best of the opportunities available to you and start applying. It is November, and you need to meet your application deadlines.
Thanks.

Still going through all these in our head. There is a dearth of financial aid for international students - Especially for law.

Visa is a genuine concern, have seen Indians moving to Canada after spending a decade in states; and for worse even returning back to India.
NY Bar examiners do look into law school grades - Especially when it's used to secure a right to practice instead of doing a JD?
What did you finally do @OP. I'm in a similar situation except that my visa status permits me to work. Have about 8 years PQE in India. Trying to pivot into legal tech instead of getting into debt trying to fund another degree.
Just apply. Your past is what it is. You just need to present yourself in the best light.
You will not get a job with this kind of background. US firms give shit value to any Indian law practice or Indian law school degrees. US has enough JDs looking for jobs. Better stick around here. You are unlikely to get into an Ivy League school, so the chances of you jumping ahead of US candidates is next to zero. May find work in 2-3 lawyer firms but they will not file your H1-B, and you will struggle badly. Take a wise call. All the best.