Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
Saw the other thread on placements, had a score good enough to get into HNLU, was it the worst choice? I left because the prospect of staying in Raipur for 5 years of my life seemed not enticing enough and now I'm panicking. I talked to a school senior who left HNLU for SLs pune for similar reasons (she was from Pune though and now works at a good Tier 2 firm, which gives me some confidence that I might be able to do good as well). But I didn't know HNLU was sucha a great college but now it's a weird feeling within me, that being said I have batchmates who have left GNLU or NUJS for this place so should be doing well soon, no?
People have left NUJS and GNLU for MNLU lol. Your batchmates aren't smart are they? you have made your bed so I guess it's time to sleep on it.
On a serious note, try to get a PPO behave like you are in a Tier 3 law school and start working accordingly. Focus on improving your writing, do some decent moots and most importantly you are in Mumbai take the time make valuable connections.

Good luck
Hi, I know thinking about the future can be very daunting at times but you have to accept what has happened has happened. You can't change it. Raipur can be a difficult move for someone from a metro city but it isn't that bad, you spend most of your time in college anyway. However, since you have already made the decision, there is no point in discussing this. Is HNLU better than MNLU? Yes. Will MNLU overtake HNLU? Looking at the current trends, not in the foreseeable future.

This does not mean that MNLU is all bad. You are still at a place which is better than 95% of the law schools in India. Make the most of that opportunity. Use the Bombay location to network, intern and participate in competitions. At the end of the day, what you do in law school matters. You will end up in as good a place as any of your peers in other law schools. Don't worry and godspeed.
Not going to mince words: leaving HNLU for MNLU was a catastrophic mistake. Does this mean that you are irredeemably screwed? No. While MNLU does have abysmal placements, you may still be the outlier who gets placed if you distinguish yourself during law school and particularly in arenas such as moot courts (think, international moots with name recognition, such as Jessup, Vis, etc.) or publications (think, law reviews of national or international repute and not blogs or sham journals started by overly enthusiastic but terribly misguided kids from random law schools). However, even with the best resume and internships, the absence of a proper law school pedigree will work at you, particularly at the initial stages of your career if you're looking to join law firms (at least the top tier ones).

I have come across instances of students having transferred between law schools (I know of one instance of a girl who got through NUJS, transferred to NLU Delhi for almost all her law school, and returned back to NUJS from where she got her diploma, and certain other cases), but am unsure of the modalities involved in this respect, so cannot advise you on whether this is a practicable course of action.

Given the above, you might wish to consider re-taking the CLAT (or AILET) if possible.
Just to clarify, transfer is usually allowed only under exceptional circumstances, on health grounds only. There have been two cases at NUJS, one student from NALSAR and one from NLUD came here midway, both on health grounds. TBH, both were decent, but were not exactly welcomed with open arms by their batchmates. Not that they didn't make any friends while here. The admin and the faculty didn't discriminate on that basis from what I know. There were some concerns about participation in campus placement given both had shifted in the 4th Year.
This is not a regular thing, so one shouldn't count on it.
Just to add to 4.1, even serious health conditions don't guarantee such transfers. NALSAR admin already had a longstanding relationship with NUJS, and obviously their reputation is along similar planes, and inspite of that, they had to go out of their way to make it happen back then. However, I've been reliably informed that at least one similar request by a student suffering from a serious health condition at a Tier 2 NLU was outrightly rejected.

As such, please do not plan on transfers being legitimate options under pretty much any circumstances.
Why exactly your batcmates were reserved? They cracked clat too. Is it because they were coming from tier-2?
Let's see:

HNLU
- Permanent Campus
- Good VC (VCV)
- Good Infra including a large Library
- Probably the best Alumni Network among Tier 2 NLUs, people get placed in Tier 1 and 2 firms, go for foreign LLMs and Judicial services.

MNLU
- Hyped up for a sole reason Location, it was supposed to be the next NLUD but nothing good has come out so far.
- Six, If I remember correctly got placed last year that too most of them via PPOs.
- No permanent campus, the University runs out of a rented building and the proposed campus is outside mumbai near some village, no work so far has been done due to change in the state govt.
Unfortunately, not really, no. It was poor judgement to leave NUJS, GNLU, or HNLU for MNLU at this stage. However, what's done in done. You can now focus on grades and CV building and actually learning as much as you can over the next 5 years. You need to get to terms with the fact that the university isn't going to do anything for you, lacking reputation and alumni base. You need to be more of a go-getter if you wish to get those opportunities that students in those other NLUs can afford to take for granted.
Comparing SlS Pune or any good private college is a cardinal sin, especially when you compare them to newbies like MNLU. Those colleges have tight knit alumni going back one or probably two decades, have seen many leave mid NLUs for the market known private ones because of the better placement prospects. But again as people here mentioned, MNLU is still one of the best places and definately a Tier 3 NLU, to give you some respite again, 25%-30% from HNLU will make the Law firm cut, so not like you killed a golden duck because it's still a tricky prospect to get placed outta there.
Lol! Even among the MNLUs you made a bad choice, should have gone with Nagpur over Mumbai.
I will still advise people to pick MNLU. Rankings are a marathon, not a 100 m dash. You will see is 20 years that the top 5 NLUs, whether in NIRF or CLAT preference, will be NLSIU, NALSAR, NLUD, MNLU and GNLU. Until NLUs are nationalised (which seems unlikely), the success of an NLU will depend on the economy of the city it is in. Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Gandhingar/Ahmedabad are the economic powerhouses of India.
β€œIn 20 years.” Why would someone who’s gonna graduate in the next five years, or even 10 years for that matter, choose MNLU in the meanwhile? Matlab city Ki economy surpasses everything ranging from infrastructure, quality of faculty, quality of VC, recruitments, alumni base etc.? Wow what logic. Ab toh city city bolke bachho ko mislead karna band karo.
In fact, there is one person who left NLSIU for MNLU last year. Just shows how much coaching centres can influence student choices.
Don't worry boss. The NLU tag is big enough to get you through the Corp door. You have an insane advantage over private college grads like SLS, Jindal, Christ and KIIT
This is a grossly wrong information. As someone who has a very limited say in the hiring decisions for a specific team in a tier 1 firm, the NLU tag is mostly useless unless you are from NLS, NALSAR, NUJS, etc. And this benefit is also very limited. If you are from any of these colleges, it is presumed that you have a sharp mind and a good work ethics. But this is a prima facie view. All of this is gauged in the interview and in the internship, if applicable.