Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
Can someone please suggest some books to understand the basics of foreign investments in India and everything else related to fema.

There are countless rules, regulations and notifications on RBI's website and I am a bit confused as to which one repeals what.
(How do you all keep track of it?)

I have always underperformed in fema related researches in my internships and this is one area I would like to read up on from start to end.

I have tried ICSI modules available online but they don't cover the subject matter extensively.

Thanks in advance !
It may not sound like a helpful answer but the only way is to understand the intent and then the structure of the act from a manual.

Once you understand that then you will be able to guess quite accurately what the regulations will provide without even going through them. If you need to go through the regulations then you will have a very good idea which regulation to read.

It took me maybe a year or two to get a hang of this but I became pretty good with it.
Why is this trolling? If you don’t understand economics you can’t do fema
Not a helpful suggestion in the context. Am sure the person is looking to join a law firm at a junior level not RBI. If it were indeed helpful suggestions in understanding economic background for FEMA that you were looking to provide, am sure you can guide him/her to relevant books / EPW articles on BOP crisis and FERA v. FEMA. :)

- R
Sorry but when did "I am sure" become "Am sure". I mean not just you R, I am seeing managing partners doing it. Is it absolutely acceptable, grammatically?
Interesting. I don't think it's acceptable grammar in written form. But I'm quite sure that lawyers don't use the phrase "I am sure" or any variations of it in any official written communication. Hence probably it has crept in since "am sure" is used a lot in verbal communication. But using "am sure" twice in a comment is unpardonable. Will get onto the list of things like "revert" or "please find attached".

- R
Fema manual. But it changes every year. So no use. Rather use the ones from your office. Read rbi master directions
Start from reading the FEMA act and FDI policy, then move to master directions on each topic/regulation.
Lawsikho's course on FDI & FEMA is actually good.

It's not an awesome course - which covers everything from scratch. But if you are a student or A0, then it maybe useful for you.

Even if you are an A2, Law Sikho course won't be useful for you as it just teaches the basics.

Before down voting this, talk to someone who actually attended the course.
Not sure about a student, but A0s can just read the material available online together with a decent commentary and they won't really need that course.