Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Hi all.

Am an A1 at a Mumbai/Bangalore based team in a tier one law firm . I joined about 3-4 months ago. My team has been supportive and people are nice individually. However, there have been a lot of departures which haven't been replaced and the workload gets insane. I was recently intimated about an opening for an A1 position at Delhi in a big six firm which I applied for and got. The reasons I decided to take it were because (1) the Delhi opening was in a practice area that I wanted to switch to (2) The Delhi opening was in a firm that is more reputed for the relevant practice area (3) the Delhi team is better structured and (4) Delhi is closer to my hometown in Uttar Pradesh and due to family reasons I have to go home at least once a month.

My question is how do I inform my current team and give notice in a way that doesn't rub them off in a wrong way. I really want to leave on good terms and have no complaints about the mentorship or the learning environment. Please help me out.
Pl drop a whatsapp/mst message to your partner requesting for a call. On the call, pl tell him about your resignation. Put your papers thereafter.
Yes, talk to your partner before you officially put your papers. Otherwise you are headed for a mess.
Is it the Projects team in Delhi you are talking about? Please confirm as I had also applied for the same.
Hi all, original poster here. Yes, will call my partner and talk to him/her instead of sending a mail. But how do I tell the news in a way that doesn't offend and keeps us on good terms. Thanks for all the help.
Just level with them. You're on your way out anyway. What do you have to lose. Be honest. But don't give a reason unless asked. If they are civil or okay with you going they won't press you when you just say personal reasons. If pressed you may want to tell them the truth in a blunt, fair and frank manner.

This is probably the only time you'll find them receptive to you. Use this chance. Tell them its not working out and you want to move out. Volunteer to serve the full notice period and assure them of a seamless transition. It's not a break up. You're just terminating a contract. Your standard is Genteel conduct not best ever conduct. Be civil and polite.

If they offer you better terms, it is your option to elect to parley.
Tell them it is for a personal reason, eg, close proximity to hometown for visiting parents regularly.
Yup^ go with the proximity to your hometown + personal reasons that require you to make frequent visits to family. Don't mention any of the other reasons you've given in the post. Apart from that- just sound sincere about it, be polite, thank the partner and the team for their support so far, and mention that this was not an easy decision for you but one which had to be made nonetheless.
I've read the entire story, waiting for your dm now. Will wish goodluck with heart and soul.
There is no such thing as leaving on good terms. They will resent you, no matter what. Speaking from experience when I left AZB.
lie about your parents moving to delhi and you having to take care of them. Then after a year tell the partner- parents went back since delhi has a lot of air pollution and women safety is an issue.

Also- let them know you cant stand the curry patta in every god damn thing and that you miss the momos.
The fact that you put up such a post tells me this firm has seen far too many departures this year and one more departure,yours,will just add to their problems.Frankly,they are not going to take it well anyways.And sormallyorry to say this but your an A1,the partner won't care unless it was SA or PA leaving. the call with partner before resignation would have been a good idea,here with too many departures I think the situation will get toufg.And the partner in game play may ask you to postpone/reject your resignation,then hell will break loose.I think it's best to put a formal email stating reason and just exit quietly
A guy at my firm gave the reason that he's getting married and has received a dowry huge enough for him to not have to worry about working at all. Might want to try that.

Went on to join a tier 1 in Peninsula.
Did he actually get the dowry or no? Pensinsula firm hired him because he was taking dowry (a criminal act still?)?I am sure they hired him with such pride.Dobt let the sarcasm of a minion like me matter,it is probably such people who are the shining stars at so many law firms.the legal industry has such a bright future.