Read 27 comments as:
Filter By
This is a trend I've noticed, that every year, only about half of the batch in the tier 1 NLUs opt for placements on day zero and day one. What do the rest do? Did they all get PPOs? Or are they choosing not to sit for placements because they fear of not getting placed?
I am one of them. I won’t sit because I know I won’t get placed. I don’t have relevant internships. Nor do I have the grades. Only a very few privileged assholes and some students who actually worked for it since their first year think of sitting in day zero.
HAHAHAHA. Hilarious. Think of this wild idea- that half of the batch doesn't want a law firm job? Another wild idea- there are a lot of other (perhaps more exciting) avenues other than firms? Okay, last one- even the ones who sit for day zero, some don't end up joining because they find something more suitable to their interests in the meanwhile, and many who do join end up leaving firm work in 1-2 years.
Your ideas and comments are truly wild, because you don't have the research to back it up. Have you ever done a study of the career choices of a single batch from any law school ever?
I went to one, and have friends in almost all other 'tier 1' law schools so yepppp. i'm well aware of my own batch and batches senior to mine. There are tons of people from my batch and people i've met from other colleges through these five years who don't want a law firm job- a few have gone for clerkship or LLM- while many are preparing for judiciary and UPSC. I know plenty of my seniors who left their law firm job in 1-2 years and are now pursuing these same avenues i.e judiciary, upsc or something more research based
Firstly, there is no "Top 4 NLUs", only the Top 3 (NLSIU, NALSAR, NLUD) because these have been the only NLUs with stable rankings in NIRF since inception. NUJS, NLUJ, GNLU and NLIU have fluctuated, so have to be called as tier 2 or "Next 4" NLUs.

Now, in the Top 3 NLUs the cream of the students prefer careers outside law firms: could be academics, could be policy, could be a Supreme Court chamber, could be UPSC, could be McKinsey etc. So it's mostly the bottom half that sits for placements in law firms (and even they eventually live after 1 or 2 years).

In the Next 4 NLUs, the picture is very different. Law firm jobs are highly sought after.
This person has got no idea what they are talking about. They keep trolling with varying versions of the same comment in multiple posts without ever having studied at any of these NLUs or actually having the statistics to support their claim. So any reader who is already not informed should completely ignore them if they really wish to learn about the NLUs and their student choices.
Please share the approximate number of students from NLSIU, NALSAR and NLUD who have actually opted for such non-compliance careers that you speak of. I am willing to bet that you have got no real data to back any of your assumptions. McKinsey, lol! There are less than 10 NLU grads working there. All have been from NLSIU, and over a period of more than a decade. As for academics, why don't you share the names of all the NLUD people who are currently teaching anywhere? Bet you can't name even ten. As for your comment about the other NLUs and their students, you have never had any clue, so stop misleading people.
By the way, in terms of absolute numbers, the highest number of NLU grads in academics, including India and abroad, now is from NUJS. NLSIU may have the edge in litigation and UPSC, mostly because of the headstart. NLUD doesn't have the edge in anything other than UPSC, that too only the last 5 years. NALSAR does decently in all the fronts.
Firstly, your maths is terrible.
Secondly, so is your sense of comprehension, since nobody here talked about NIRF ranks other than you.
You do realise that NLUD's placements is not even in comparision when it comes to NUJS and NLUJ, right?
Really they claimed 100% placements in 2019 and if it is true that they are not even equal to NLU J then I am more than happy.
Can you please provide with numbers to back yourself P. S not from delhi but from NLU Jodhpur
Not from NLU Delhi but would love to hear what is behind these 100% placements claim.
I didn't sit because I had below average grades and didn't have any internships with the T1.
I don't know from where you got the idea that half the batch won't or does not sit. Supposedly it's a batch of 125 people, anywhere between 75-95 people will sit for placements. 5-10 of the remaining people have gotten PPOs and those who can afford to skip placements and keep trying for a particular firm or team chose to do so, and lastly the remaining few are those who don't have good internship experience or pretty bad grades, but it's not like they don't get jobs, they just get them in their fifth year or a few months after graduating (This is the scenario for T1 and good T2 law colleges).

Although the number of people skipping placements has indeed been increasing for the past couple of years, this can be attributed to the fact that law firms have started losing their hype. Many know, that it's just about money, many know that the work-life balance is terrible and by the time it will get better you won't have a life (sadly), and many seem to understand that a law firm job won't give them the satisfaction they wanted from law as a career (keep in mind that I'm referring to people with no student loans or financial responsibilities). Thus, many have started looking for better-suited avenues, such as policy, litigation, research, clerkship.

And the last category of people who skip placements is those who earnestly wish to sit for competitive exams - UPSC, Judiciary, SEBI, Supreme Court clerkship and in some cases JAG.

People have become better informed and better understand what they want from their careers. Thus, law firms have started losing their standing and are no longer the primary choice as a career for many.
If this is true then too when NALSAR claimes 100% placements 28 PPOs were counted in it then how are you saying that PPO are different. Total number of students placed was 73 only which is approx 55% of batch.
^Dude/tte has a legit point. Never thought of it that way. Would love to hear your thoughts, OP of 1.3.