Read 29 comments as:
Filter By
This is based on another comment I saw on LI On LinkedIn one can see many children of law firm partners and Senior Advocates having LLMs, typically from New York or London colleges like NYU, Columbia, LSE, KCL, UCL, etc. In fact, is there any Senior Advocate whose son or daughter does NOT have an LLM from London and New York? .

Yet, these same senior lawyers discourage others who want to do an LLM. They say "it has no relevance for legal practice in India", "better to join a law firm right away after graduation", "LLM is a waste", etc.

So here is my question: why these double standards?🧐
Because Law Firm unke baap ki hai.

Tere dad ke pass hai law firm? Nahi naa.
^This might seem trollish, but it is perhaps the most accurate reply one can get. Totally agree.

A foreign LL.M. gives street cred/social credits, and has little to do with competence or career advancement. It is beneficial once you are already within a social circle, not as a ticket into the social circle.
A 10-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
I guess it has to do with their perception that a fancy LL.M is a luxury. So in the same way they expect you to come in metro or buy a cheap ass car for yourself (i.e., who is a resource) but, they buy their kids only BMWs and etc., they just don't think you're rich or important enough to deserve the luxury of a foreign LL.M or global exposure. To them, you are not their heir. You're just labour class.

Hope this clarifies.

P.S. I am also such labour class but I've always dreamt of a foreign LL.M.
Harsh but fantastic comment. Indeed, we are just "labour class" for them. It's almost like saying "You have no aukat to go abroad from an LLM or drive a BMW, so just keep slaving away in India."

But contrast with corporate India, where many encourage their employees to go for MBAs/training courses and even sponsor it.
A 10-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Welcome to life bro, it's not fair. The rules aren't the same for those more privileged than you and you. The earlier you realize it and stop cribbing, the better it is for you
True story. A VERY well-known lawyer. On TV very often. Child went abroad for an LLM. When I told him I am applying for an LLM (for the same college his child went to), he asked: "Paisa kaun dega?". I said my parents have savings.

The way he said it was very condescending and humiliating. I am not super rich like him, but my parents are respectable professionals and have a decent amount in the bank. Do they think everyone else is a beggar? Can't our parents have the same dreams they have for their children?
The audacity these people have. Most rich folks (silver-spoon category) have this attitude. Shameful.
These law firm managing peeps often live in a bubble where they think they run the world. But, really, how many people outside the legal fraternity know them or give two shits about them.
Say with me again..." LLM has zero value for building a professional career in India." The above statement has been done to death in various forums of legally india. Obviously if you want to go for teaching/academics it is a different thing. But yeah a foreign LLM may give you some street smart points that's it. An Indian LLM will jot even give you that.
Cause most of these kids could not hack into a decent undergrad law school therefore an LLM from a foreign law school is only way to save face.
Yeah, do not think I can agree to that. Foreign LL.M.s still need a decent enough undergraduate degree. It is not as if if you rank last in BTLC (Babaji ka Thullu Law College), NYU is going to accept you for their LL.M..
Actually, if you can pay your way through LLM, pretty much every university in the world will take you in these days. You may need to apply more than once, but it will happen.
You can't generalise. The children of Arun Jaitley and Mukul Rohatgi went to a lower ranked law school for their undergrad (Amity), but one of the Shroff kids went to NALSAR, Gopal Subramanian's two children went to NLIU and NUJS, etc etc.
Exactly. People from T-1 NLUs already have the tag but children of these "hi-fi" lawyers are rarely able to crack CLAT or AILET. Therefore they often attend private universities followed by foreign LLM or get an LLB from UK. It's all about the thappa (tag).
So that the Amity graduates have a whitewash of their undergraduate benightedness and can be introduced on panels as Columbia or Cambridge/UPenn
graduates yo yo Jetley, Apar G , S Luthra

Also pleasant vacay, Broadway/London anecdotes for when they open shop and have tales of their greatness to tell to unsuspecting juniors whose parents retired from SBI/Govt with the following intro " You know when I was in New York..."
Because of the Indian class system. If a taxi driver in simple clothes enters a fancy restaurant he will be given dirty looks. The rationale is that β€œsuch people do not belong here with us”. Same logic. It makes wealthy, senior lawyers very uncomfortable to see middle-class people β€œinvade” their spaces.
How come your parents sent you to school and college but didn't mind when the house helps kids, often younger than you, substituted for her when she had to take a leave?
A 4-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.