Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
I was in my third year when virtual internships started and it was also the time when I started considering internships seriously. In my final year now and I’ve realised it’s super difficult to establish communication, get work or even try working properly, especially because it’s not easy to understand stuff online with no one around to guide you. I cannot just randomly go to someone and ask for help on the work given. I have questions but I’m not always sure if they’re stupid or something on which I should constantly call the associates for.

Any help on how to perform better would be life saving. Is it even possible to make a mark during online internships, ways to let the team know you exist, or is there absolutely no hope.
It's just you. Several others (mostly NLUites) have gotten PPOS and have availed mentorship opportunities
It's sad how it's been more than one year of work from home and associates still haven't learnt to delegate and mentor virtually.

Sure it takes up more time and efforts but if you got used to all other aspects of wfh, why not this too?

Only if you knew the hardwork that went into actually securing an internship without contacts at a time when every other student is interning and competition is at its peak, you wouldn't treat us like this.

We aren't doing token internships just for the sake of certificates, you are rather ensuring that it becomes one.

See how OP mentioned 'life saving'. See how significant this internship is for them and then introspect how you are treating your interns.

There are four other similar threads on similar topics. We come here and express our concerns yet nothing changes. Neither we learn in online classes nor do we get to learn anything in virtual Internships.
There are ofcourse few exceptions.
Certain professors and associates have been extremely kind enough to teach.

Also, you don't get to blame the pandemic when you haven't done anything significant to help us despite it being very much in your power.

Be a warrior in your own small way. Mentor us. Guide us. Correct us when we do something wrong.
I am an SA in a Tier 1 - first gen lawyer - 3 year LLB - no connections - started my career from a small law firm with 28K monthly remuneration. Worked very hard in my internships and was called by another tier 1 where I had interned, after PQE1.
Having given that background, let me share a few horrible experiences with interns during virtual internship. Around 50% of the interns in virtual internship do not respond to mails, messages on MST, etc on time. I send a mail at 11, I receive a reply at 4. In the meantime, I have done the research myself.
No proofing of work before sending - I have often seen a single document with times new roman, calibri and arial fonts - simply shows lack of interest. This came from 4th/5th years of "Tier 1" NLUs too (when the deadline were extremely flexible).
Despite giving detailed instructions over phone for good 15-20 minutes, the final work product was far from it. The intern had just not taken notes. This too happened on multiple occasions with various interns.
I used to mentor interns to great lengths before the lockdown but have now stopped putting any efforts simply because of lack of interest on the intern's part. This ofcourse has affected few good interns :/ . But I now feel exhausted dealing with insincere students who feel they are entitled without any reason.
I suddenly feel good ABT my response time 15-20 mins rarely. Within 5 mins almost always.
Sir/ma'am, mujhe aapke jesa mentor chahiye. Most associates, where I had interned give instructions very quickly in 1-2 minutes even when they have not shared the document for that task or if they have shared it then without letting you open it for your reference. Since I am also afraid of asking question, I compel myself to say "yes, I have understood the task", which I definitely haven't most of the times. Then I listen to recording of call 4-6 times and try understand the task. It has worked fine for me so far but every time it gives me goosebumps what if I got the task wrong. Never interned in any law firm physically, so don't know exactly which one is better physical or virtual.

Pls do guide atleast those students who are doing good work and taking active efforts. Make their internship worthwhile, I am in final year from lower NLU and I have been trying for last 2.5 yrs for just one tier 1 internship but never got an opportunity. I have tried everything be it reaching out to partner or following up on my internship application properly and regularly or requesting HRs like anything, some HRs are very cold-hearted and some answer in very rude manner while very few are good but they also reject my application saying that partner has not shortlisted your resume.
Every time, I get these rejection it feels like the world has come to an end and my whole day goes futile trying to cheer myself up and in persuading myself to continue applying no matter what. Its like welcome to low(law) life.

PLEASE give me some advice, don't know if I will get such mentors.

Also, humble request to students who have gotten such opportunity to take their task little more seriously, it is difficult to get such good people around. TRUST ME I MEAN IT.