Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
I realise this isn't the best platform or audience for my question, but I'll give it a shot.
I am a 2021 graduate of CLC, DU, and I intended to join a law firm but could not do so due to a personal issue. I have now enrolled in LLM T1 NLU, despite the fact that I knew this LLM would be irrelevant to the field/work I want to undertake.
So, after completing this degree, what are my prospects of finding a job in a law firm (Tier 1/2 or even 3)?
PS: I apologise for the naive questions; I'm still trying to figure out many things as a first-generation lawyer. I am hoping for some answers or for people who have done this before to share their experiences. Thank you!
llm chhod de faaltu degree hai india se karna, 2-3 mahine full time lag ke firms me apply kar tier 1 to tier 4, kahi na kahi to hoga hi. itna load nahi hai. directly mail the partners, the ones looking out for A0s will definitely revert.
why you are running behind law firms jobs and want to be a corp. slave ? just join any litigation team of senior adv. and 10 years down the line , you will be earning way more than any partner of law firms.
90% corp lawyers in firms by that time earn more than 25 LPA( maybe a crore for a Tier 1 firm in M&A/ CM), less than 10% litigators earn that much.
Hello, did LLB from DU, and work with a T1 (got in through a PPO '18 batch). For each firm you want to apply to, identify the team(s) you want to join - all info will be available on their site. Assuming you don't have any friends and family for referrals as a first-get lawyer (I didn't too), write to partners (practice heads + junior partners) and Principal associate / counsel of teams you want to work with. It is important that you have a well-written cover mail and a CV that highlights your interest in the field. When writing to people (as opposed to generic IDs), ensure you highlight some deals / cases they worked on to show your interest - needless to say, ensure you read up well and don't add details just for the sake of it because they will bring it up during interview.

Finally, securing internships and doing well is your chance to secure a job in t-1. Most teams appreciate hard work and ground knowledge when hiring A0s. I suggest marking an associate as an ally/ buddy/ mentor - share with them your interest in joining the practice and ask for info on hiring status (whether the team is looking to hire at your level etc.). If they like your work, they may be able to recommend you to other teams/ firms who may be hiring. As a first-get lawyer, building a network of allies is the one of the most helpful method to stay on top, given how nepotistic the industry is.

Obviously it will not be a cakewalk but even if you're half decent in your field of choice and show willingness to learn, T1 PPOs are no big deal. Also, use LinkedIn to reach out to former CLC grads who are working in teams / practices you are interested in, and ask for internship referrals. Leverage what you have going for you as much as possible. All the best!
Thank you so much, Senior, for your thorough response. This guide will undoubtedly aid me in narrowing down my approach, and I hope to meet you someday.
Hey, I am also in CLC, DU. My first semester is going on. I am interested to know how you structured your three years to get a PPO. Can I contact you via e-mail? Can you plz leave a spam ID of yours? It is a humble request.