Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
Will be joining a T1 soon. Had a lot of time till now but that won't be the case soon. What are some suggestions for law firm practitioners to stay fit. I understand that it's a very subjective question but how do YOU manage your fitness. Really want to manage gymming, running, swimming and ashtanga yoga. Suggestions on whether this is possible after law firm work starts and how exactly do you manage your time to stay fit would be welcome. Please share any other related comments or suggestions on the same.
As a competitive athlete I'm curious too. Please share how you all maintain your physical health.
I'm glad "kids" these days are actually thinking about balancing their health and wellness alongside their career. As a generation we suffered without a healthy balance, let's not pass on the trauma.
You seem like the classic 40+ year old who has suffered trauma and wants to pass it on. The "kids" today know better than how we are and pretty sure they'll turn out better.
Can only comment since it worked for me take a personal trainer who will make you workout and do some physical activity which you like. I sticker to weight training and play football once a week.
I'm a mid level attorney at a Tier 1, and despite my hectic schedule, have been able to carve out time to hit the gym or the pool on almost a daily basis. At least in Bombay and Delhi, there are a fair number of decent 247 gyms (such as Anytime Fitness, gyms in 5 hotels, etc.) as well as chain hotels with early opening and late closing times. Whether you're able to find time to work out is largely going to be a function of your commitment to maintaining a certain level of fitness (whether this is for esthetic or health reasons), and time management.

This isn't to suggest that you will necessarily find time to work out every day, regardless of the number of pending deliverables that you'll need to clear, and during particularly hectic times, you might end up missing (or rather, having to miss) your work out for more than 2-3 days at a stretch. But there are ways around this - including buying basic setups to use at home (including flexi-dumbbells etc., and if you have the space and eagerness, a basic bench and set of weights, or even more).

In my honest opinion, the notion that being a successful attorney and taking time out for yourself to dedicate towards fitness are either mutually exclusionary, or impracticable is mostly a self fulfilling prophecy.
I've had a terrible experience with COVID, now I take fitness very seriously. Do not want to undergo triple bypass surgery at the age of 40.

I go to the gym everyday at 7am to 8.30am (I've established boundaries that I'll never respond to calls between 11pm to 8.30am so that helps). Do PHUL and 5 mins cardio. Gym is 1 min walking from home, that also helps. Sadly this 1.5 hours is all the activity I get in the whole day.

Still have beer belly, but can deadlift 100kgs.
Good to hear that the lawyers are thinking about fitness too! Actually, if you look around there are a few lawyers who are fit and everyone would like to blame the hectic schedule. If you wish to stay fit, you would make time and find ways to stay fit. Gym and Running are the easiest way. Control your temptation of overeating.

Motivation: If you are fit, you would always look good. Fit lawyers always have good company (you know what I mean)!