Read 78 comments as:
Filter By
If after even becoming an ias officer the person is poor than he's probably a fool. Saying straightforward.
This was the best answer that I was looking for since I entered the chat and the above discussion.
IRS is also more powerful in legal/commercial circles due to the sheer power of the pen - as they also have penal powers and authority over individuals and corporations

Plus the connections with counsel and legal teams in firms
black money hierarchy -

Ministers - Billions in swiss accounts

high level MPs - Billions

Low level MPs - Millions

State ministers - billions

MLAs- millions

IAS/IPS - Millions
You don’t know how money works

Your network is your net worth

As an IAS officer he will have a great network of people in top hierarchy

He/She can start a business with any family member

and move the documents with ease
bro my dad also gave bribe to ias also to pass tender and not interfere
Not really. I consider both IAS and Tier One law firm jobs as overhyped.
dafaq is senior DM? Did someone rewrite CrPC already?

Please be restricted to the UPSC v. IAS thread. lol.
only a stupid law school going, tier 1 firm obsessed myopic idiot would refer to the IAS as a "glorified/outdated administrator job"
You are very wrong....When an IAS officer reaches the post of senior DM or the senior collector then his/her basic pay is 95000 at approximately 11 years of service....Though you are saying correct that it's not sufficient to buy audi or such a luxurious car....
2500-5000 crore ONLY? man you have REALLY,REALLY high standards, if you think that 2500-5000cr ONLY, is a small amount
I am actually amazed that how much faltu ka tym u PPL have and especially when u r not in that particular post period!! Bro don't have this feeling for state services I know PPL Fromm iits and nits who r appearing for this exam
It’s true (3). I know an NLU-IAS who comes from an UHNI family. Why people like that even want to slog for a glorified/outdated administrator job I will never know. I also know a Haryana based IAS officer who are worth over a 1000 crores in real estate alone.
I think he/she meant that his/her parents are IAS and hence what the person is saying is their first hand experience.
I do agree, Porsche might have been a stretch but the thing with land and Audis/Mercedes are absolutely true. There are many kids of IAS from our college with Mercedes and Audis.
"" I know of senior IAS with net worth of well over 100 Cr "".....such a shame, you know and the Income Tax department doesn't. Did he personally tell this to you? Don't reply, I am obviously taking a dig.
The amount of prejudice you have against state Service officers is appalling.
As someone with many family members in the IAS, I can't help but laugh at the naive replies to this thread.

If you think that honest IAS officers exist, I have no other option but to remind you of the famous Sumitra Mahajan meme.
Just roam around the sectors in Noida where government officials live and you'll eat your words there itself.
Can't believe that I read this entire piece and it ended with quoting Gangajal !
you are highly mistaken! their earnings are not that much! I have seen IAS officers with networth Rs 2500-5000 cr only.
IAS with a Porsche???? You are clearly joking or your parents have imbibed unhealthy obsession stories of IAS in you (as most service class north Indian parents do)