Read 41 comments as:
Filter By
Clothes carry a message that is why they matter. It is your choice but it has a consequence even if the other person does not realise the sub-consious impact. So wear that really short skirt or low blouse (better both) - and also touch up your face , make those faces and put it on your DP and hope for much long-term professional respect and learning and long-life earning.
It is your right to wear what you want and of others to think what they want to as long as they do not say or do something overt. It is also your right to be sensible and your judgement to do thr right thing just like your mom probably does not wear 🩳 small shorts to your worship place. It is her right too. Imagine that:-) Do not take sub-conscious "short-cuts" with your career- there are no free lunches.
Everything else aside, the framing/structure of this comment is all over the place. Phoonk ke likhe the kya?
Kapil paaji ki yaad aa gai
Mushkil toh nahi lekin difficult zarur hoga
Clearly, OP is asking because they want to know what is common and appropriate to wear to work to avoid the attention of people like you. Why is the gyaan necessary? Keep it in your pants and stfu
A look of disdain on their faces when men comment on literally anything they wear.
Guy here. Can people stop making value judgments and trolling? Every conversation is not an excuse to have a hot take on everything.

If OP is asking, she is obviously a fresh grad. Be kind, people.
Can the (...) please stop bringing their (...) politics into this thread? The question is a very practical one about what women should wear to fit in with the office crowd. It's a very real concern for women that looking overdressed or too casually dressed may make a bad impression.
Currently in AZB and formerly was in JSA. My experience of the two places was very different in terms of dressing. In JSA, women in my team wore dresses, skirts, trousers (in that order of preference) and a blazer was always at hand. In AZB, its predominantly trousers and kurtas. I didn't see dresses or skirts around much. Each team had their own overall style, but stay well groomed whatever choice you make and ALWAYS keep a bottle of perfume at hand.
This thread is very problematic. It reinforces the patriarchal concept of the male gaze: "Women must dress to impress men". In the UK there was a controversy some years ago, after Freshfields asked women to wear high heels and skirts instead of flat shoes and trousers, the subtext being that women in the workplace have to "look sexy" and dress like fashion models, instead of impressing people with their work.
https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/wear-high-heels-to-embrace-femininity-says-top-law-firm-173571

Also problematic is the heteronormative tone of the discussion. We are now in the 21st century and it will well-recognised that gender is a fluid concept and cannot be boxed into categories like male or female. We need to talk about gender fluid office clothing. Sharing pics of Zendaya, Harry Styles, Blake Lively etc, who are people we all love and admire. They look very smart and formal in these clothes. This is the future.

More pics here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahmarder/celebs-sayng-screw-it-to-gender-fashion-norms
Bhai tu apna uber-woke politically correct law firm banale. Law school might've taught you to be woke, but it clearly hasn't taught you to read. The question is restricted to what women wear in law firms, not what some random celebs wear on the red carpet. If you have no constructive suggestions, stick your wokeness where the sun don't shine and gtfo
Overall, dress smart. No need to break the bank.

Blouses/ shirts and trousers/ skirts or dresses are fine. Indian - kurtas and tailored pants can be very smart. Sarees too. Keep a black/ neutral jacket ready.

Don't be afraid to bring your personal style into dressing. I have generally avoided big/ loud prints. If I'm wearing a less staid color - I'd tone down on accessories. Shoes depend your comfort level.

I am assuming you are a new joinee.

I've had women colleagues (at various levels) ask me if what they are wearing is formal enough; men too for their shirts, but less often. It's not some secret that everybody knows. You'll figure it out, don't worry too much!
Wear black and white. It shouldn't matter what you wear. But our profession unfortunately comes with a dress code. People (judges and courts) expect lawyers to dress a certain way. As long as you wear formals in black and white, no one will bother about what you're wearing. You can do white shirt/top with skirt/trouser or white salwar kameez or saree. All work and all are acceptable.

Women have more colour choices though. If you're not going to court you can wear colours such as blue, brown, green (dark green but complemented with a black skirt/trouser).

Don't wear Yellow as you don't want to commit a human rights abuse. No one should wear yellow. Looking at yellow violates human rights.
I have seen countless kurtas and sarees in varying shades of yellow which look very classy and decent. The yellow should be of a toned down shade. One needs to be extra careful in picking yellow outfits. Check whether you look office-ready in that colour outfit or not. A subtle colour pallette for yellow should work just fine.
One commenter being disgusted of yellow doesn't make it an offensive colour choice.

Don't worry, girl. Don't be anxious about it. Talk to some kind female colleagues about your officewear if you still feel you don't fit in dressing wise.
Wear whatever you want but remember creepers in your office will start noticing and naming you on stupid lists on this platform like β€œhottest lawyers β€œ β€œfittest lawyers” etc. y’all creeps know who you are.
What kind of attire are female lawyers at T1 firms expected to wear? Formal shirts/tops and pants, or formal dresses or kurtas/sarees?

[New thread moved into this one]
Wear anything they want, its their choice and body, clothes should not decide their caliber or the lack thereof. We need to get out of the narrow mindset and move shoulder to shoulder towards a new law culture in the country.
To your question though, mostly suits and pants and skirts (all black ). Don't really have too many options.
Anything where you don't have to roll down sleeves, which apparently is the biggest problem some men are facing with dressing comments in this so called equal world.

- R
Thanks for the question, OP. I (female) too was wondering about it. Besides skirts, trousers, shirts and a smart and professional top, whether we can opt for Indian wear? Like a professional looking smart kurti/kurtas? Not just the plain black and white kurtas which one wears for court. But something with elegant and minimal prints/designs and simple embroidery.
The Indian wear is very comfortable and cost effective. When carried well, such outfits have a very classy look.
Please, any inputs will be helpful.

No, don't tell me 'wear what you like, to hell with others' opinions'. This is a genuine query.

P S. The irony is that there were no 'wear what you want' types comment in some other threads talking about men's wear, but only genuine answers. Speaks volumes.
Had to bring in men when the thread is clearly about women, didn't ya. Speaks about the unnecessary venom against the other binaries in this world.
Had to bring in men because it was necessary to show difference between general reaction/response from a conversation about men's query from that of a woman's query, the query being very normal professional in nature.
Too many preachy things here (with good intentions, no doubt), but no relevant responses.
What was venomous in it? Anything disparaging the other binary?
Had to unnecessarily react just to spite the comment, didn't ya
Indian wear is fine. A lot of women lawyers wear Indian wear and its permitted by almost all firms' HR policies. I especially like wearing Indian wear while traveling, because its so much more comfortable on a flight. Saris for important meetings and conferences really make you stand out too.

Old school firms are more strict about their dress codes. But even though other firms are more lax, its important to dress well. We do have to present ourselves to a range of people and it pays to make a good impression. You don't need to break the bank, but do wear well chosen and comfortable formal wear, either Indian or western. Dressing well will make you feel confident and hence present a more confident face to your colleagues, clients and other people you meet in the course of this job.
Yes, 11+ years PQE and though I initially started with western wear, I also figured that when well carried, formal Indian wear can be very classy as well as comfortable and also, somehow, initially wore it because I felt it made me look older which really mattered to certain kinds of clients. A subtle colour palette and small prints/minimal embroidery - as long as you are not in litigation - should work just fine.
I've observed my female colleagues (from associates to partners) wearing Indian outfits regularly. These outfits include kurtis with dupattas and usually include simple / minimal embroidery. Since I'm at a T1 firm at the moment, I'm assuming this is completely acceptable and have not seen or heard anything negative about the same. Furthermore, the firm's internal dress code policy also allows for the same and these guidelines vary from firm to firm minimally.

Hope this helps.
A 90-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.