Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
Here's an easy fix which firms can adopt to improve their work culture to an extent. This by itself may not cure all ills with law firm, but this can be a good start with no loss to the firm. Here goes.

Provide new mothers the option to WFH till a year or two after the expiry of maternity leave. I'm not an expert on this - so firms can look at available scientific evidence to decide till what period they think they should give this option. But a year or two sounds fair to the layman me.

The past year has shown us the firms can function normally with their lawyers working from home. So why not give this option to new mothers, which wouldn't affect the firm's profits.

I know it may be asking for too much, but if firms really want to be equitable they should also allow new fathers the same option.

Let's start making law firms more accessible for women who are mothers. Possibly there'll be lesser women who leave their jobs to raise their child (who may otherwise may not have wanted to stop working).

Men haven't been facing this hurdle historically. So let's start with women. But seriously consider giving men the same option. Raising a child is not an easy job and definitely not only the mother's responsibility.

As I said, this is just an option. Those who may not want to avail of the same are free to work from office.
IMO, the real and only way to change law firm culture systemically is more competition.

Currently, there are 6 firms, the combined strength of which is a maximum of 3500. They must hire around 400-450 A0s max per year. This is supremely disproportionate to the number of individuals who want to be in these positions, and even though the pay has not risen in quite a few years (by risen I mean in line with inflation at least), it is a lot of money in absolute numbers for the age at which these salaries are earned.

Therefore, until there are more big law firms which undercut these shitty employee policies with far better policies (and equal or more pay) a change is impossible because no matter how many people quit because of horrible work policies, there are always 1000 people willing to take their place and deal with the horrible work environment.

Whether this will happen through the legal market being liberalised and foreign firms entering or firms like Indus, Argus severely expanding remains to be seen, but neither may happen in the next 5 years.

Good luck to us all, although I'll be out soon.
Law firms in India are like Lala Companies. Dont have much expectation from them.
And a simple switch off time for the day and week to this. It'll solve 90% of mental health problems faced by everyone.
Several companies, especially tech companies, currently offer this option in this country.
Here is one fix to improve your WLB,

Hire a full time nanny - 25K

Part Time Maid - 15 K

Baby Formulae - 4K per month

Instead of being a cheapskate trying to save every buck despite earning lakhs. Law Firms provide one of the most inclusive environment - across any other legal profession.
SShower me with down votes e
If only money could buy you happiness or love.

Please also care to identify how does it matter to the firm if the parent works from office or home, as long as work continues the same way and profits are made?

Wonder who hurt you.
Ah yes, 'natural love and affection' only exists in gift deeds. How dare people think it applies in real life...
It seems you are a patriarchal sexist-selfish women.

When you demand more and more things like this, hiring women becomes costly. Firms will be disincentivized from hiring women.

For the benefit you may get, many girls may never even get hired.

Any Work From Home for mother's - without giving the same to fathers - reinforces stereotypical gender roles.

Want to be with kids? Good for you. But don't pull other women down with your demands.
OP here.

I'm a man, not a woman.

Secondly, please do take the time to read my original post in full. As I said, new father's should also be given the option, as raising a child is not the mother's job alone.

Thirdly, in response to your below quote, as I said it should be an option. Those who want to work from office are free to do so.

Quote:
Want to be with kids? Good for you. But don't pull other women down with your demands.
Have a good day. Thank you.
OP, genuine question and I'm open to being corrected if I've misinterpreted your post in any way.

Any reason that you're only looking at implementing the start of a culture fix in a law firm from the perspective of the working parent (men/women)? What about those who don't have children but may have similar roles and responsibilities at home? Aging parents, for instance? Or maybe those folks who continue to work in a law firm while battling a chronic illness for instance?

Curious to have your thoughts on this. Cheers.
OP here.

I have no issue with a larger fix to the problem. Of course others who may need to be at home should have the option to WFH. I genuinely think it is time that law firms (of all people), especially for the corporate practice, should really try and see how to give a WFH option across the board. However, my guess is that law firms may not be that accommodating. So I just went with the lowest hanging fruit, of the option for new parents, as a starting point.

My view was also probably coloured by seeing a baby in the family and seeing that the baby needs constant attention and thinking that just 6 months maternity leave does not work (let's not get started about the miserly paternity leave).

Cheers.