Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
I work with a so-called t1 legal firm and I am a designated partner. I wish to quit the firm's life and do something less consequential. I was thinking about teaching at jindal law school, but they needed LLM, wanted to know what others in my position did.
1. You can actually consider the route you're considering - spend on a good European LLM (cheaper compared to the states) - enjoy your 9-11 months in a beautiful country while getting to re-live student days.

If you want to cut down on costs even further, you can even consider becoming a part-time consultant to a foreign firm there (just call up your friends who may be working there).

And then come back and join Jindal or any good private school (LLM + industry experience is enough to make you adjunct faculty anywhere). You can even consider opening a research centre in corporate law in the same college if you want to raise additional funds and bridge your income gap a little more as coordinator/director of a research centre.

2. Launch yourself into the online legal ed space. You have the resources, connections and the knowledge to be the first faculty of your own venture.

3. Join one of the UN organizations - starting with IFC, WBG etc.

4. Move in-house. At your (and my) PQE, you'll easily get GC of unicorns and mid-caps.

5. Lend your name to a tier-3 - work out an arrangement where your primarily role is business development and not actual work. Kind of a consultant on hire. It will be laid back, earn some money on the side while you decide what else you want to do in life.

But yes, best of luck mate! I hope you move out of the "so-called tier-1" that 'designates' you partner. Too toxic to give up your time and meaningful life for.
I am a NEP and in the same position. I also thought about LLM from a local college or something but have not been able to find the time to do something about it. I thought of an inhouse option - but I keep rethinking because I am unsure if all inhouse roles have a relaxed work culture and again, it will mean working for a specific industry, unlike at a firm where the role is wider. I am at this point low key wondering if these colleges have a visiting faculty role and how much that would pay - maybe something to look into and if we could do that coupled with some independent work. Would love to hear your thoughts/thoughts of others on this.

Also, I really wish that we could have a separate thread/forum as these conversations could really be meaningful and at this point, I think the freshers have more of a support system than we do.
While I am not sure of how much visiting faculty roles pay, at NLUD, seminar instructors are paid roughly 1 Lakh for a course for 1 semester. I think you need to take 48 teaching hours (negotiable with your students afaik), evaluate, and that is about it.

These are numbers from 1-1.5 years ago, but I think they are still the same.
Do we know if seminar instructors require an LLM? Thank you for your inputs @random
Most of the top NLUs allow credit courses from industry people with LLB degrees and pay on an hourly basis for that. You can take up offering remote credit courses across 4-5 NLUs and make the same money as a full time faculty while sitting at home. Those can even be the same 1 or 2 courses so that your workload stays rationalised.
You can try contacting the NUJS credit course cell too, they are actively looking for more speakers currently
Also, NUJS is going to open applications for adjunct faculty very soon. You can keep an eye out for that too, it doesn't have any minimum qualification requirement since it's guest faculty
Visit nls website. They open applications for electives and seminars every three months.
But they will require you to be physically there, now that Sudhir is opening campus. Whereas Jindal, NUJS will allow you to teach from home at least for now.
Hey, at Jindal you can also teach a claim or lead elective course, these are taught by top industry professionals mostly on Sundays and Saturdays and the pay is super good. You could do anything throughout the weekend. There are a lot of practicing law firm partners teaching CLAIM courses at Jindal. Doesn't require LLMs. Also, you don't need LLMs if you are an adjunct faculty, we have justice swatenter kumar taking a 4 credit elective. (https://www.aninews.in/news/business/business/jgls-appoints-senior-lawyers-for-lead-and-claim-programmes20210917170511/)

This seems like a nice part-time job for someone of your stature, I am a student and I'll leave full-time job suggestions to those who are more equipped.
R this is too much, when nluj and other nlu were saying and handing out mail id then it wasnt PR. if jiggles do it then it is PR
This is crossing the line from moderation to active bullshitting. R - what the hell, man? What are you doing?
Klatyan@jgu.edu.in

Professor Karan Latyan is in charge of all LEAD, CLAIM, and electives taught by adjunct and temporary faculty at JGLS.
If such people need to ask advice I really feel sorry for their juniors. It's horrible. Such people are the reason juniors aren't satisfied. Frustrated people with no idea running a team!! Please leave and let your team function properly. I really wish you aren't my junior!! I'd really be vary of my team and work going out!
Nothing wrong with asking questions. In fact they should be commended for their courage to voice their fears and doubts. Why do you assume that these people are the reason why juniors aren't satisfied. There are plenty of nice people out there who are terrific with juniors and don't have to be clear on what they want to do in life to treat people with basic decency. Unlike the sentiments expressed in your post.